New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hoping it’s just the heat that have thrown things off track in our household.

Baby is exclusively bf but would not settle last night at all. I’m no expert by any means but I’m convinced I’d run out of milk (5 weeks of feeding and it has been going well). He was rooting and rooting and just couldn’t seem to get anything. I caved him and gave him a small bottle of formula which settled him.

Have breastfed him this morning so will just have to see what today brings. I’m hoping it’s not an issue with my supply and just a blip.

Just when you feel like you’re getting the hang of something, things change and throw everything up in the air again 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Baby is exclusively bf but would not settle last night at all. I’m no expert by any means but I’m convinced I’d run out of milk (5 weeks of feeding and it has been going well). He was rooting and rooting and just couldn’t seem to get anything. I caved him and gave him a small bottle of formula which settled him.

Have breastfed him this morning so will just have to see what today brings. I’m hoping it’s not an issue with my supply and just a blip.

Just when you feel like you’re getting the hang of something, things change and throw everything up in the air again 🥴
Heat is just the worst, I was dreading the summer with a newborn but new mums are probably some of the only people happy that the weather has been so bad!
Just wanted to say that I had a similar thing with mine in the last heatwave and was stressing about no milk. I pumped and that reassured me - managed to get a fair bit so can't have run out! I think he just didn't like the discomfort of being so hot and sticky so hopefully it is just the same for you 🤞

You can’t run out of milk just like that, please don’t worry! Remember boobs are not jugs, they don’t ever empty. Think of them like a river, constantly flowing, but sometimes with more in there than other times. Unsettled behaviour at the breast is not an indicator of low supply at all, it’s a way for babies to increase supply as they grow. The only indicators of low supply are poor weight gain, and poor output. You do not need to panic about your supply if it’s all going well other than last night ❤ I’ve attached a wee infographic below for you

@123456!!12/ how was last night lovely?

And did all the too hot babies settle in the heat eventually? Not to be a total dick, but last night was the first night in about 2 weeks we’ve actually had a settled night 🙌🏻
F22A35BC-6CF9-46DB-90A7-1D9E620A5C58.png

• Heart
Reactions: 7
You can’t run out of milk just like that, please don’t worry! Remember boobs are not jugs, they don’t ever empty. Think of them like a river, constantly flowing, but sometimes with more in there than other times. Unsettled behaviour at the breast is not an indicator of low supply at all, it’s a way for babies to increase supply as they grow. The only indicators of low supply are poor weight gain, and poor output. You do not need to panic about your supply if it’s all going well other than last night ❤ I’ve attached a wee infographic below for you

And did all the too hot babies settle in the heat eventually? Not to be a total dick, but last night was the first night in about 2 weeks we’ve actually had a settled night 🙌🏻
View attachment 753317
We actually ended up having a great night 🤣 slept 11.30-2.30 up for a feed then back down from about 3.30-7! Thought she would be a nightmare too but she slept the first part of the night in a nappy and swaddle then second part in a vest on my chest (I'm still so paranoid about putting her down after a middle of the night feed because the last few times we've done it she's choked 😭,but this way we both get a bit of sleep! )
8 week vaccinations tomorrow and I'm getting so worked up 😭 didn't think I would be one of those mums either 🤣
Do you guys think calpol before or after is better? Nurse said its personal preference but I don't know how I'm supposed to know what I prefer to do if I've never done it before 🤣

Reactions: 4
We actually ended up having a great night 🤣 slept 11.30-2.30 up for a feed then back down from about 3.30-7! Thought she would be a nightmare too but she slept the first part of the night in a nappy and swaddle then second part in a vest on my chest (I'm still so paranoid about putting her down after a middle of the night feed because the last few times we've done it she's choked 😭,but this way we both get a bit of sleep! )
8 week vaccinations tomorrow and I'm getting so worked up 😭 didn't think I would be one of those mums either 🤣
Do you guys think calpol before or after is better? Nurse said its personal preference but I don't know how I'm supposed to know what I prefer to do if I've never done it before 🤣
I will tell you at my eldest’s 8 week jabs I cried like a baby. But I promise it is over really quickly and my experience is that once the shock wears off they stop crying. I’ve done calpol afterwards every time, as I just wait and see how they get on. If they are fine afterwards I don’t give any. We’ve actually never had any temperatures or anything. Also, my experience is getting calpol in to a baby is more traumatic than the injections 🤣🤣

Reactions: 2
Finn woke up every hour and a half. He was super uncomfortable (think this was his constipation giving him grief too, he did a huge poop this morning though!). Not the best night but at least he did sleep in his little chunks rather than being unsettled for a long time like he has been. Husband got up with him at 6:30 and let me sleep longer so that was nice as well. Enjoying the slightly cooler day today!

• Heart
@Definitelyme thank you for checking in❤ last night was unsettled but I’m pretty sure that was the heat. He wanted to constantly feed but seemed pretty chilled at the boob which was reassuring. He eventually slept from 3-6 then 6-8.30 and he hasn't been screaming when he feeds x

@Chickenandgravy we always calpoled after but that’s more because I never even thought togive calpol before say (the first jabs I didn’t even know I needed to give calpol so had to do a mad dash to the pharmacy afterwards)

• Heart
I always got told not to give it to them before so I've always done it after and not had a problem 😊

Reactions: 4
@Definitelyme thank you for checking in❤ last night was unsettled but I’m pretty sure that was the heat. He wanted to constantly feed but seemed pretty chilled at the boob which was reassuring. He eventually slept from 3-6 then 6-8.30 and he hasn't been screaming when he feeds x

@Chickenandgravy we always calpoled after but that’s more because I never even thought togive calpol before say (the first jabs I didn’t even know I needed to give calpol so had to do a mad dash to the pharmacy afterwards)
So delighted to hear that. Hopefully you’re feeling a bit better about it this morning?

Reactions: 1
Thanks everyone, will wait until after if she needs it!
Best way I found to get it in was to hold her in the crook of my arm, so she was reclined but not flat and then aim the syringe for her cheek and leave her for a few minutes. The first time I sat her up straightaway and she just dribbled it back out 😬

Finn woke up every hour and a half. He was super uncomfortable (think this was his constipation giving him grief too, he did a huge poop this morning though!). Not the best night but at least he did sleep in his little chunks rather than being unsettled for a long time like he has been. Husband got up with him at 6:30 and let me sleep longer so that was nice as well. Enjoying the slightly cooler day today!
Yay for husbands who take the early shift! Sounds like a long night for you, but hopefully Finn will be feeling a bit brighter now he’s done a big poo!

Best way I found to get it in was to hold her in the crook of my arm, so she was reclined but not flat and then aim the syringe for her cheek and leave her for a few minutes. The first time I sat her up straightaway and she just dribbled it back out 😬
I had to syringe baby gaviscon into her when she was on that and I literally got it spat in my face majority of the time 🤣 will try this way though...thanks 😊

• Haha
So delighted to hear that. Hopefully you’re feeling a bit better about it this morning?
yes definitely. I owe you guys massively, everyone who replied was so lovely and reassuring which definitely helped me calm down last night and made me feel much better this morning

• Heart
@Definitelyme thanks for checking in on me. I feel okay physically now, emotionally this feeding situation is really starting to get on top of me.

I’m worried it’s my letdown and that’ll mean the end of my feeding journey. I don’t feel my letdown so I don’t know. But it’s not every feed and I thought if it was my letdown it would affect every feed. I could cry. I just don’t know anymore. The midwives are weighing him tomorrow so I’ll have to try and workout and maybe mention my worries to them. I’m so worried they’ll just palm me off and I’ll be left to struggle.

I feel like it could be reflux but I just don’t know. He’s not bringing up loads of milk, he’s recently started bringing up cottage cheese type milk. My partner thinks it’s gas. I’m just so worried about it and I feel like he’s relying on me to advocate for him but the midwife said because he’s not tiny they’re not worried but I am. I’m worried about it, I want him to be cared for just as well as a tiny baby would be. I don’t want him ignored because he’s average weight. I just feel so lost and I’m really starting to spiral x
I had similar symptoms with my first and we originally thought reflux too, but in my case it is forceful letdown. I think you are right in saying that you would know if it was forceful letdown as it would be every feed. When he pulls off, does your milk spray everywhere? That was a big clue for me, it can go across the room! Letdown is also quite painful, like bad pins and needles, but that could be true for everyone.
If it is the same for you, then it definitely does not mean you have to stop. Feeding whilst lying down, feeding as soon as they wake up and block feeding really help. Also patience is a big part - it settled after 6-8 weeks for both of mine as they adapt and your milk flow adapts. It is really hard work at the time but not long in the grand scheme of things :)
Sounds like you had a better night though so hopefully it is just one of those odd newborn phases

• Heart
Having a nightmare with our 7 month old. She’s had 2 seizures in the last 2.5 weeks and then had a funny turn at nursery today where she went blue and eyes rolled back before passing out. Feel like we are living a the hospital or gps and getting no answers. She’s also not eating- she’s having maybe 8oz of milk in 24 hours. I went back to work last week and already been called out twice. My stress levels are so high!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10

View attachment 753317

Thank you 🥰🥰 very reassuring xxx

• Heart
Having a nightmare with our 7 month old. She’s had 2 seizures in the last 2.5 weeks and then had a funny turn at nursery today where she went blue and eyes rolled back before passing out. Feel like we are living a the hospital or gps and getting no answers. She’s also not eating- she’s having maybe 8oz of milk in 24 hours. I went back to work last week and already been called out twice. My stress levels are so high!
That sounds terrifying ❤ Much love to the OIM family, I hope you get some answers soon, and she is feeling herself again x

How scary, I’m sorry you’re going through that 😞 hope you get some answers soon XX

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.