New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It sounds like you’re working really hard at this, you should be so proud of yourself ❤ It’s not easy at all, and you’re giving it everything you’ve got. My only advice with bf is honestly stick a boob in there every time they start to grizzle even a tiny bit, even if it’s only 10 mins since the last feed, just pop her in every time she squeaks. Even if she only gets a little bit each time it all adds up. Some babies do feed more “snacky” than others. I know plenty of babies would happily go 3 or 4 hours between feeds but mine have always been snackers and like to have it every 3-4 minutes! So maybe your girl is the same if she is after frequent feeds?
I think you said this to me and it has honestly made all the difference - every time she starts being slightly grizzly I offer her a boob and she’s much better for it. Once I stopped trying to follow the book on how often they should feed and just started winging it, it’s been much better (although I still have the occasional melt down that she feeds too much 🤣). She’s just a snacky baby 🤷🏼‍♀️ She feeds little and often. @Chickenandgravy no one ever mentioned it until I cried to the midwife and she told me it was normal - WHY DIDNT YOU MENTION IT BEFORE THEN?!?

I think you said this to me and it has honestly made all the difference - every time she starts being slightly grizzly I offer her a boob and she’s much better for it. Once I stopped trying to follow the book on how often they should feed and just started winging it, it’s been much better (although I still have the occasional melt down that she feeds too much 🤣). She’s just a snacky baby 🤷🏼‍♀️ She feeds little and often. @Chickenandgravy no one ever mentioned it until I cried to the midwife and she told me it was normal - WHY DIDNT YOU MENTION IT BEFORE THEN?!?
@Kitt i have the Konny baby and the koala baby one from Amazon. Highly rate them!

This parenting business is full of so much worry isn’t it!

5 week old will sleep for much longer on me than in his crib (I know this is normal). But the problem is that I can’t have him lie on me for an extended time and not fall asleep myself. I hate the worry that I’ll fall asleep and something bad will happen.

It’s either have him have 1 hour naps in his crib or let him sleep on me and he’ll nap for 3 hours but I’m taking a risk ☹
Sometimes when I’m in bed and she doesn’t settle I fall asleep with her on my chest. It’s not ideal but sometimes it happens! I try not to have any pillows around, keep the duvet down by my waist and wear a top so I don’t get cold and risk pulling the duvet up. She usually would sleep horizontal so if she rolls it’s down not underneath me. Please don’t kick me out for being a rubbish mum 😬😬 Now I’ve cracked lying down feeding I do that early morning and keep her in bed with me - I lie on top of my arm so I can’t roll if that makes sense? - move the pillows and do the same with the duvet.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Apologies if this has been covered already, but can anyone recommend a good manual breast pump? Ideally not too expensive as it’s just for occasional use

Apologies if this has been covered already, but can anyone recommend a good manual breast pump? Ideally not too expensive as it’s just for occasional use
I just got the lasinoh one for occasional use as I have the elvie for day to day but so far it's good for the price 👍

Totally normal 😊 have you watched any YouTube videos of putting the close caboo on?What was the problem when you had it on?

@Disneylifeonly huge congratulations!!!!

Could you let him fall asleep on you in your bed, then transfer him down so he’s beside you? Then if you fall asleep too hes on the safer surface than a chair/sofa (assuming that’s where you are at the minute)

He’s is virtually impossible to transfer. I wait until he is in a deep sleep but he almost always wakes up. I’m sure it’s just a phase and I do enjoy the cuddles x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm just catching up on here! @Disneylifeonly huge congratulations on your engagement ❤ @Hairraiser congratulations! How are you feeling today?

On the subject of resentment etc, i totally feel this. My partners been off for a couple of days and today I think he FINALLY realised what it's like being home with the 2 kids. He always used to make comments about me being on maternity, id see what its like when I'm back at work, how he'd rather stay at home with the kids and me go back to work etc etc.
Were currently getting work done in our house so I was sorting through stuff, skip runs etc. I picked up dinner after going to the skip and came in and he absolutely lost it saying how difficult the kids have been today and how he's had them himself etc (I've been at home minus going shopping/skip runs and to pick up dinner). He's saying I need to help more with the kids as he can't handle the 2 kids together.
I'm going to be really selfish here when I say this but finally I'm glad he sees its not all rainbows and butterflies like he imagined it would be, he never spends time with the kids tbh. He'd rather sit on his phone or choose to feed baby over play with my toddler etc. I've told him how difficult it is but was always met with the replies above on me returning to work, on top of having PND and feeling quite unsupported at times this is just the icing on the cake.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
So after having baby Thomas I didn't think this year could get any better
But yesterday, my boyfriend got down on one knee holding Thomas, and ask if I wanted to make it official and make us a family.
I am now engaged 🥰🥰🥰
Aaaaaah congratulations!! How cute 🥺🥺 love the ring xx

I'm just catching up on here! @Disneylifeonly huge congratulations on your engagement ❤ @Hairraiser congratulations! How are you feeling today?

On the subject of resentment etc, i totally feel this. My partners been off for a couple of days and today I think he FINALLY realised what it's like being home with the 2 kids. He always used to make comments about me being on maternity, id see what its like when I'm back at work, how he'd rather stay at home with the kids and me go back to work etc etc.
Were currently getting work done in our house so I was sorting through stuff, skip runs etc. I picked up dinner after going to the skip and came in and he absolutely lost it saying how difficult the kids have been today and how he's had them himself etc (I've been at home minus going shopping/skip runs and to pick up dinner). He's saying I need to help more with the kids as he can't handle the 2 kids together.
I'm going to be really selfish here when I say this but finally I'm glad he sees its not all rainbows and butterflies like he imagined it would be, he never spends time with the kids tbh. He'd rather sit on his phone or choose to feed baby over play with my toddler etc. I've told him how difficult it is but was always met with the replies above on me returning to work, on top of having PND and feeling quite unsupported at times this is just the icing on the cake.
Hi, thank you for asking. Feeling pretty crap. Nausea & dizziness, now I’m getting cramping down my left side & shoulder pain so I’ve bought myself to A&E I’ve been sitting here since 3 o’clock and there’s still no sign of being seen.
I’m still so so unsure what to do next I feel like I could have a breakdown right this minute

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi, thank you for asking. Feeling pretty crap. Nausea & dizziness, now I’m getting cramping down my left side & shoulder pain so I’ve bought myself to A&E I’ve been sitting here since 3 o’clock and there’s still no sign of being seen.
I’m still so so unsure what to do next I feel like I could have a breakdown right this minute
Aw gosh that's awful!! Hopefully they will see to you soon and get home to rest as quickly as possible. Sending hugs! ♥

Reactions: 1
@Hairraiser thinking of you, I hope you’re seen soon

@Icbaaaa how is your oh still breathing after saying you need to help more with the kids 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯 absolute nerve of him!!! There is something quite satisfying about seeing them struggle a bit doing what we do every day (or maybe I’m a sicko?!) but him being so mean to you isn’t on 😡

Taking my baba for his first swimming lesson tomorrow 😭😭😭 must remember to shave my legs 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
How is your oh still breathing after saying you need to help more with the kids 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯 absolute nerve of him!!! There is something quite satisfying about seeing them struggle a bit doing what we do every day (or maybe I’m a sicko?!) but him being so mean to you isn’t on 😡
Honestly I'm gobsmacked, just makes me feel like tit when he says stupid comments like that. I have the kids myself majority of the week due to his shifts, do the nursery runs, all the housework and washings etc. This week he's off so I've been able to get stuff done around the house/take tit loads to the skip and he makes me feel bad by saying that? Men honestly, arseholes 😖🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 4
He’s is virtually impossible to transfer. I wait until he is in a deep sleep but he almost always wakes up. I’m sure it’s just a phase and I do enjoy the cuddles x
I feel your pain as I’m going through this stage at the moment too. Have you tried leaving your hand touching his head or chest when you put him down so that he can still feel you? I keep my hand on my LO’s cheek or stroke her forehead for a few mins after I put her down and it stops her from waking up (sometimes!)

I am running off caffeine, sugar and snacks. Every meal time baby decides she wants to be involved. Exhaustion from the night feeds is real!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Feel like I’m being a bit stupid here... so in terms of weaning. He’s 6 months next week and I’ve started giving it a go. I’ve been doing some puréed veg and then a bit of finger food too. I know the first couple weeks especially is just about baby getting used to different textures and tastes so at his 12pm feed I’ll give him his normal bottle, then about half an hour later I’ve just been putting him in his high chair letting him try the foods. At what point do I get to where I drop that milk feed? And then I’m like.... do I then introduce breakfast and then a couple weeks later dinner? It’s kind of stumbled me and I’m slightly confused 🙈

honestly, milk is easy. 3 nutritional meals and snacks sounds like a minefield 😂 and this is coming from someone who loves food!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Don’t know if cluster feeding is exclusively a breastfeeding term but it seems to fit what’s happening. Baby boy eats like 30-40ml every 40 mins to an hour rather than full feeds every 2-3. It’s especially tough from like 7pm-midnight. He just does not sleep at all between these times and fusses about 30 mins after eating and we have to make up a full bottle again. If he does drop off on me after eating, I’ll try to move him to his crib so I can get some sleep (cause I’m starting to pass out with him on me) and he wakes up and starts fussing and we start all over again. Just can’t seem to settle him in the evening - bedtime time slot at all at the moment and I don’t know how to solve it.

• Heart
Feel like I’m being a bit stupid here... so in terms of weaning. He’s 6 months next week and I’ve started giving it a go. I’ve been doing some puréed veg and then a bit of finger food too. I know the first couple weeks especially is just about baby getting used to different textures and tastes so at his 12pm feed I’ll give him his normal bottle, then about half an hour later I’ve just been putting him in his high chair letting him try the foods. At what point do I get to where I drop that milk feed? And then I’m like.... do I then introduce breakfast and then a couple weeks later dinner? It’s kind of stumbled me and I’m slightly confused 🙈

honestly, milk is easy. 3 nutritional meals and snacks sounds like a minefield 😂 and this is coming from someone who loves food!
I can’t answer the bottle question with any experience, but I think you’ll naturally know when to drop it. Weaning seems scary when you start out but you quickly figure out your babies own rhythms. I remember obsessively researching with my eldest, and being so unsure of what to do, but it just all naturally comes together like many parts of motherhood. We always do baby led, so we go straight in to offering 3 times a day at normal meal times, and just the same food we are all eating. But find what you are comfortable with and go from there.
They can get quite constipated as they start to take more in, so I always make sure to include lots of fruits like plums, pears and kiwis, and give water at meals too. Doidy cups are great for water.
Yeah, figuring out what to feed them for three meals and two snacks a day is 😵💫😵💫😵💫

Don’t know if cluster feeding is exclusively a breastfeeding term but it seems to fit what’s happening. Baby boy eats like 30-40ml every 40 mins to an hour rather than full feeds every 2-3. It’s especially tough from like 7pm-midnight. He just does not sleep at all between these times and fusses about 30 mins after eating and we have to make up a full bottle again. If he does drop off on me after eating, I’ll try to move him to his crib so I can get some sleep (cause I’m starting to pass out with him on me) and he wakes up and starts fussing and we start all over again. Just can’t seem to settle him in the evening - bedtime time slot at all at the moment and I don’t know how to solve it.
That definitely sounds like cluster feeding behaviour, just wanting more and more For those hours. If you can go with it, definitely do. Maybe you and OH could take it night about so you could get some rest as well in the evenings?

I can’t answer the bottle question with any experience, but I think you’ll naturally know when to drop it. Weaning seems scary when you start out but you quickly figure out your babies own rhythms. I remember obsessively researching with my eldest, and being so unsure of what to do, but it just all naturally comes together like many parts of motherhood. We always do baby led, so we go straight in to offering 3 times a day at normal meal times, and just the same food we are all eating. But find what you are comfortable with and go from there.
They can get quite constipated as they start to take more in, so I always make sure to include lots of fruits like plums, pears and kiwis, and give water at meals too. Doidy cups are great for water.
Yeah, figuring out what to feed them for three meals and two snacks a day is 😵💫😵💫😵💫
Hmm I thought it might have been instinc! Reckon I’m gonna do what I’m doing for a bit longer, just getting him used to it and then start doing regular meals and see how we get on. Hard to know what to do with the milk situation but I’m sure it’ll fall into place. Good to know about the doidy cup as I got one the other week and he’s happy having a couple of sips. I think once I get going I’ll be fine, I’m just freezing leftovers of stuff that is baby friendly so I’ve got a bit of an inventory. Although I made cauliflower cheese the other night and my husband found the frozen pots and decided to have it as a snack 😂 weirdo

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.