New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My bleeding has just stopped at 6 weeks. It would go from being light to heavy so much so I questioned if my period was back 🙈

Reactions: 2
Complaint update: the hospital called and the matron wants a meeting with us to go over what happened, was also told to make the complaint formal!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Struggling so much with my 6 week old :( she’s really unsettled and I can’t put her down without her crying. She’ll fall asleep on me no problem but will wake up as soon as I try and put her in her Moses basket. She has loads of symptoms of silent reflux so we have been prescribed omeprazole (which is an absolute nightmare to give!), went for our 6 week check today with a different dr who said she doesn’t think it’s reflux and she’s just crying because she’s a baby 🤷‍♀️ she told me to leave her to cry… has anyone else done this with a baby so young?

• Wow
Struggling so much with my 6 week old :( she’s really unsettled and I can’t put her down without her crying. She’ll fall asleep on me no problem but will wake up as soon as I try and put her in her Moses basket. She has loads of symptoms of silent reflux so we have been prescribed omeprazole (which is an absolute nightmare to give!), went for our 6 week check today with a different dr who said she doesn’t think it’s reflux and she’s just crying because she’s a baby 🤷‍♀️ she told me to leave her to cry… has anyone else done this with a baby so young?
My best friends baby cries a lot and is using baby gaviscon. It hasn’t helped much as spent all of last crying. She won’t be put down and has to hold her all day, hates the pram, the carrier, Moses basket. Will only settle on her so spends her day tied to the bed or sofa holding her.
The babies skin is also flared so she has omitted dairy from her diet but it takes 6 weeks to come out of breast milk and she’s decided to omit soy and wheat too.

she’s asked the dr for something stronger. It’s hard and well done for getting this far x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Please don’t leave your baby to cry, that is HORRENDOUS advice from the dr. Yes, she’s crying because she’s a baby, but it’s the only way she can communicate. If anyone ever tells you that again ask them if they would like to be ignored when talking to someone, and how would they feel if they were visibly upset and everyone they lived with ignored them until they stopped being upset. Sounds mad, right? But that’s what people are asking mothers to do when they say to leave a baby to cry! At 6 weeks old she is crying because she needs something, and unfortunately a lot of the time that something is to be held.

Have you read up about the 4th trimester? It might reassure you somewhat that not wanting set down is absolutely normal. However, crying all the time definitely would indicate something isn’t quite right. Maybe silent reflux, so persist with the meds, or maybe a cows’ milk allergy (that’s what it was for my son, misdiagnosed as silent reflux at first. He literally cried every second of the day.)

meanwhile to help you cope until it’s worked out, have you got a sling to pop her in so you can have hands free but she’s still cuddled up? It’s so hard when they just won’t settle, I really feel for you. I’ve been there, especially with the aforementioned son, and some days it was just all too much and I would have cried, and even been angry at him, which was my frustration at not being able to do anything to help. But you will get there x

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I think it's really normal for them at that age to not want to be put down - my little one didn't nap anywhere else but on me or a sling for about the first 4 months. If I put him down, he would wake within minutes! He wouldn't sleep in a bouncer, pod, pram..nowhere but my chest or the sling.
Have you got the liquid omeprazole or the tablets ? Liquid one is much easier. It can take a while to get better and settle on the omeprazole until you find the dosage that works for them - it took 3 dosage increases for us before we saw improvement.

Horrendous advice from the doctor.. I personally wouldn't be leaving a 6 week odl to cry. They're so, so new and have spent 9 months being incredibly warm, snug and held. Agree about having a read up on the 4th trimester, it made everything make sense along those lines for me. I know everyone says it but it is a phase with the wanting to be held, my baby is 8 months old and hasn't napped on me apart from when sick since he was about 4/5 months old, never wants to sit on my lap as he's always on the move and has grown in independence so quickly!

Definitely get a sling for around the house if you can.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I would also agree with it being "normal" it wasn't until around 3 months she started letting me put her down for a sleep. Not that they last long. Before that, 99% of sleep was on me or my partner.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thank you so much for the replies @wakametango @Definitelyme @mg89 @WhatABore

I'm also surprised that the doctor told me to leave her to cry. But then again, this is the same doctor who replied "well do you really need to go out in public with a 5 week old" when I spoke to her last week and told her I'm struggling with the crying and it's making me not want to go out.

I will definitely read up more on the fourth trimester. I think I'm guilty of thinking that her crying isn't normal, but I'm slowly starting to realise that it is totally normal for a baby her age! She sleeps absolutely fine at night and that's something I'm so grateful for, I'm not sure how I would cope otherwise. I haven't tried a sling but it's definitely something I'm going to look into.

@mg89 the doctor prescribed the tablet form, I saw a different doctor today who wouldn't prescribe the liquid as she doesn't believe she has reflux (based on her seeing me feed for a grand total of 30 seconds). I'm going to carry on with the Omeprazole though because I'm certain she has it. I showed the dr a video of baby gagging on nothing (like something was in her throat/there was a horrible taste - she does it every single morning) and she completely dismissed it and said she doesn't look distressed so not to worry! As I'm typing this I think I'm going to ask to speak to someone different as I'm really not happy with any of the advice that she gave me. I'm seeing the HV tomorrow so will speak to her too.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 5

I'm also surprised that the doctor told me to leave her to cry. But then again, this is the same doctor who replied "well do you really need to go out in public with a 5 week old" when I spoke to her last week and told her I'm struggling with the crying and it's making me not want to go out.

I will definitely read up more on the fourth trimester. I think I'm guilty of thinking that her crying isn't normal, but I'm slowly starting to realise that it is totally normal for a baby her age! She sleeps absolutely fine at night and that's something I'm so grateful for, I'm not sure how I would cope otherwise. I haven't tried a sling but it's definitely something I'm going to look into.

@mg89 the doctor prescribed the tablet form, I saw a different doctor today who wouldn't prescribe the liquid as she doesn't believe she has reflux (based on her seeing me feed for a grand total of 30 seconds). I'm going to carry on with the Omeprazole though because I'm certain she has it. I showed the dr a video of baby gagging on nothing (like something was in her throat/there was a horrible taste - she does it every single morning) and she completely dismissed it and said she doesn't look distressed so not to worry! As I'm typing this I think I'm going to ask to speak to someone different as I'm really not happy with any of the advice that she gave me. I'm seeing the HV tomorrow so will speak to her too.
Next time you need to see a dr request someone else. She sounds like a flipping idiot/nightmare/ignorant prick.

Sling wise something like these may work well. Good for newborns and easy to use

I think it’s totally normal to assume there must be a reason for the crying, I have spent hours googling different things when the reality is she’s just a babyand babies cry and like to be close 🤷🏼‍♀️ It can be quite almost difficult in a way to consider it “normal” fourth trimester behaviour and there’s not a reason - if there’s a reason there’susually a fix, whereas this “fix” is just baby getting older which always makes me feel a bit powerless to do anything! Apologies if that makes no sense, operating on minimal sleep today 🤣 Completely echo the others though a sling is a lifesaver!
That said, you know your baby and if you feel something isn’t right keep pushing! From what you’ve said it sounds like there’s more to it than just fourth trimester! And the advice to let a young baby cry it out is awful 😬😬

Hate dismissive doctors. Mine told me he didn’t believe I was pregnant and wouldn’t research the medication I needed (life saving) and here I am with a 7 day old baby.
many way, I Also spoke to my friend who is a midwife and her son had same issues. He was prescribed hypoallergenic formula in the end as they found his stomach all irritated and inflamed after internal investigation with a camera
doctors HATE to prescribe this because of the cost. His was neocate.

• Wow
Hate dismissive doctors. Mine told me he didn’t believe I was pregnant and wouldn’t research the medication I needed (life saving) and here I am with a 7 day old baby.
many way, I Also spoke to my friend who is a midwife and her son had same issues. He was prescribed hypoallergenic formula in the end as they found his stomach all irritated and inflamed after internal investigation with a camera
doctors HATE to prescribe this because of the cost. His was neocate.
Didn’t believe you were pregnant?! What the actual duck?! 😱😱😱😱😱

You’ve got to wonder about GPs sometimes. They can be on a totally different planet. And (I certainly don’t wish to be ageist or sexist, just my own experiences) but the old ones, and the old men in particular, are the worst in my experience

I had a very similar experience with GPs regarding silent reflux, they dismissed videos of constant screaming, bringing up acid etc and told me all babies cry and to sort my mental health out as I was an anxious FTM. As a newborn he slept for 8/9 hours a day as he was so uncomfortable. GPs are very reluctant to prescribe the liquid version as it's expensive - £95 for the 2mg/ml bottle and £200 for the 4mg/ml one. They've reminded me of how much my baby has cost the surgery many times!!

I remember being at the health visitor, her asking to see him feed - he fed ok, I put him in the bassinet and he then preceeded to scream 10 minutes into the walk home and didn't stop for 55 mins..I had to ask my partner to come and meet us as baby was screaming and I was crying. Same thing happened in morrisons - like you I was then reluctant to go out with him, especially in the pram as he couldn't lie on his back. Our walks were only successful when he was in the sling.

The best thing I did was ask the GP to refer us to a paediatrician who would know what they were talking about; when we were seen they confirmed the reflux based on what I said, believed everything I told them and our story and directed the GP to continue prescribing omeprazole for as long as we needed it, as well as dairy free formula as he has an energy.

The fight is very draining, but you know your baby. Keep ringing them, it's the only way. Also look up the NICE guidelines around silent reflux; they state you should be given the meds for a 4 week period to see if there's an improvement. There is also a specific dosage based on your babies weight which they can work with to try and see what works. Sorry for the long message..this took over my life in the early days so I send my love and solidarity to you!

You’ve got to wonder about GPs sometimes. They can be on a totally different planet. And (I certainly don’t wish to be ageist or sexist, just my own experiences) but the old ones, and the old men in particular, are the worst in my experience
Agreed..I refuse to speak to one in particular in my surgery who fits that description.

• Heart

Yes!! He was old!
yep I went to a&e with chest pain and I left without discharge notes (never heard of them, didn’t know they were a thing.) On my way home they called to say I was pregnant, so I rang GP to say I needed medication to stop my blood from clotting (I had some off medication two weeks prior as my 6 month course was finished) and he said as I didn’t have a discharge letter to prove the pregnancy there was no point researching what medication I needed, how much & when I’d need to start it

😒😒😒😒😒 I self referred to hospital and got my own medication and told the surgery I never wanted to speak to him again 🖕🏼

• Heart
Yes!! He was old!
yep I went to a&e with chest pain and I left without discharge notes (never heard of them, didn’t know they were a thing.) On my way home they called to say I was pregnant, so I rang GP to say I needed medication to stop my blood from clotting (I had some off medication two weeks prior as my 6 month course was finished) and he said as I didn’t have a discharge letter to prove the pregnancy there was no point researching what medication I needed, how much & when I’d need to start it

😒😒😒😒😒 I self referred to hospital and got my own medication and told the surgery I never wanted to speak to him again 🖕🏼
Excellent! We have one GP who I swear is immortal. He must be 75+, why he is still practising I have no idea. But he is just a pain, never listens to anything. I prefer one of the younger females, or the dr who has 4 kids 🤣

• Haha
Does anybody have any baby monitor recommendations? I’m looking for something with a video monitor that will work fairly long distance as the bedroom is the opposite end to our lounge.

I’ve just finally found This hello baby one to work over range. I’ve only used it for a few days so far but it seems good. It had a £20 off voucher last week so might be worth using camelcamelcamel.co.uk for a price alert. It’s not the best picture but enough to see them moving and if awake. The sensitivity seems good though last night she did wake and it didn’t pick her up straight away but it could be me with the settings. Others you can see they’re breathing but I couldn’t get any to work far enough. We have a lot of glass so I don’t know if that was causing an issue but none had anywhere near the range claimed.
Ones that didn’t work -
BT smart video
BT 6000
Victure (Amazon brand)
Biofun (Amazon brand)
Vava IH006
BT 400 - this was audio only and did keep the signal but didn’t go loud enough to hear over anything but silence.

We got this one when ours broke. The one we had previously was great, especially for the price of it.
Only got this because it was on offer. I'm sure it had way more reviews than that. But it's rubbish 😂
The sound is awful for a start. Not loud at all. Unless they're screaming.. Doesn't wake me up when it's right next to me. And I'm a super light sleeper!

You definitely done need to spend £££ on them for them to be good unless you want it to connect to your phone.
I've never spent over £60 on one and they've mostly been great apart from this one.
Hunt for the ones on offer and read the reviews 😊

Attachments

Reactions: 1
It’s a good job breastfeeding burns calories- I’ve already eaten 2 chocolate bars this morning as baby was up virtually every hour last night!

• Heart
It’s a good job breastfeeding burns calories- I’ve already eaten 2 chocolate bars this morning as baby was up virtually every hour last night!
Chocolate is made from plants so it’s practically fruit 👍🏻👍🏻 Sorry about the crap night, we’ve had a few very unsettled nights and days this week. Lots of screaming. Not crying or chatting, but just screaming angrily. It’s super fun 😩

• Heart
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.