New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Literally can’t cope tonight. I’m rubbish at burping my own baby. Why can’t I do it
It's so frustrating when you can't get the wind up. We used to end up passing her back and forwards, on our shoulders, sitting, laying over our hands, walking round bouncing slightly.

Once we bought dentinox, it was so much easier to get the wind up but some times were near impossible!

It's nothing you're doing wrong ❤

Reactions: 1
Literally can’t cope tonight. I’m rubbish at burping my own baby. Why can’t I do it
i know it’s easier said than done but try not to stress. I’m rubbish at burping too and it’s so frustrating, even worse when I pass him over and his dad gets the biggest burp ever out of him.
But like @WhatABore said a lot of the time I really have to change up how I’m holding him. Over the shoulder, laying on my chest, on my lap.
One thing I’ve noticed my other half does is have him in the sitting position then lower him onto his back before sitting him up again (slowly but all in one movement) he says it “moves the gas bubbles around” - not sure it does but it definitely brings some burps up. (Also, if he can’t get a burp he moves to trying to get the farts)

i’ve been dipping in and out of this thread so i have missed how old your little one is.

I found it so hard to burp in their early days, you’re not rubbish, you just have to find what works. How much pressure are you using when patting or rubbing their back? I found sometimes you can’t be too soft handed especially if you’re just rubbing their back

randomly one thing that seemed to work 90% of the time was rubbing her back and going up and down the stairs a few times, its a pain for you but worth it when they just won’t burp any other way.

I am another fan of the method @123456!!12/ mentioned her husband does.

Have them sitting up, lower them down and then quickly sit them up again. Never fails here.

Reactions: 3
I appreciate that every kid is different but the technique that’s worked for both of my boys (who were both difficult to burp) is:

I lift them high up over my left shoulder so their tummy is literally on the ball of my shoulder. I pat firmly for about 8 taps, rub anti-clockwise and then I firmly rub my right hand up their side so my fingers are on their back but my thumb is rubbing up the side of his tummy. It normally gets a burp.If it doesn’t work immediately I walk around doing the same movement. It always works then.

good luck!

I really struggle too, please don’t worry! Saw a TikTok (😬) that explained some wind is because babies don’t really move so it gets stuck, so look for winding techniques that move their bodies a bit to dislodge it - e.g just rubbing their tummy or back won’t necessarily work because it’s not enough movement but doing it walking up and down stairs or while bouncing. I find sitting her up and rotating her body in circles works a charm. As she’s moving more she seems to be able to get it out better! I think I’ve explained that so badly but hopefully you understand what I mean 🤣 It’s so tough when you can’t get it up, so I feel for you!

Also, expressed milk - I know I’ve asked a million times - but if I leave it out for 5 hours before freezing it, can I add to it over the 5 hours, so do a couple of sessions to get the amount I want then freeze it all together?

One advantage to night feeds: wide awake at 5.30am so baby and me went to fill husbands car up with petrol (no hate please as he works at a hospital so needs his car and his light was on!)

Reactions: 7
Also, expressed milk - I know I’ve asked a million times - but if I leave it out for 5 hours before freezing it, can I add to it over the 5 hours, so do a couple of sessions to get the amount I want then freeze it all together?
You can 😊. Or if you don't want to leave the milk sitting out the fridge I pump, put it into bags all in the fridge then add them all together to make up a decent amount when they are at same temperature. Means you don't need to worry if you go over the 5 hours out fridge.

Reactions: 2
Anyone got any advice for allergies? Tried my baby with scrAmbled egg earlier, he only had a small about and loved it but within minutes of him eating it, this rash popped up round his neck 😖 he does have a bit of a rashy neck anyway from dribble/milk but I was really surprised when this happened so quickly! He was absolutely fine in himself, didn’t seem phased at all, had his normal feeds, no temperature and within about 30 mins it had completely disappeared again. I’m gonna hang fire on adding any other allergens to his diet for a few days but would you try the egg again in a few days? I’m not really sure what to do. 🤷🏻‍♀️
View attachment 779467
We had a potential reaction to egg about a month ago - our dietician said to not give any egg based products for about a week, then give about a teaspoon worth of thoroughly cooked egg and see for reaction. My baby's possible reaction was diarrhea and vomiting hours later, a delayed response type. The advice for you may be different though if he reacted that quickly! The GP can give piriton for times like this.

You're not rubbish, some babies are just very difficult burpers!! Have you seen wonky winding? Really helped us!

Hahaha very relevant to me this month, hence why I'm back to work in 3 weeks time 😂

We had a potential reaction to egg about a month ago - our dietician said to not give any egg based products for about a week, then give about a teaspoon worth of thoroughly cooked egg and see for reaction. My baby's possible reaction was diarrhea and vomiting hours later, a delayed response type. The advice for you may be different though if he reacted that quickly! The GP can give piriton for times like this.
Ooh ok, thank you. I’ll give them a call on Monday and see what they say. He’s not been sick and hasn’t poo’d since yesterday lunch.,, if he was going to have diarrhoea by now I would have thought it would happen! How has your baby been with egg since?

Ooh ok, thank you. I’ll give them a call on Monday and see what they say. He’s not been sick and hasn’t poo’d since yesterday lunch.,, if he was going to have diarrhoea by now I would have thought it would happen! How has your baby been with egg since?
Sounds good, I would just avoid it until they advise you..I think as ours was possible delayed reaction they were ok with us testing again at home but any instant reactions need to be skin prick tests I think. He's been fine since with it - I think it was just a very weirdly timed stomach bug! As he's had scrambled egg etc since. He is allergic to dairy so I really panicked when we thought egg too. I agree that if he was going to have an upset tummy with it it would have happened by now!

Baby’s too uncomfortable at night with colic to be put down in her crib, she’s grunting and then crying every times she’s put down (but sleeps on me when I pick her up). She’s currently on infacol. Any other suggestions for her which worked for any of you? I can’t keep holding her for ages I start to fall asleep and that scares me 😟

• Heart
We had most success with ‘wonky winding’ and tipping her back then up or tilting her upper body around in circles sitting up. Still she suffered terribly though. I think their little systems just aren’t up to speed yet no matter what you do to help. For farts jiggling her bum at the hips worked wonders but she’d still never be able to shift it all then she just got better as she grew I think.
8B14B3EF-F6BB-47C4-8FB6-A9B518726960.jpeg

Reactions: 4
Baby’s too uncomfortable at night with colic to be put down in her crib, she’s grunting and then crying every times she’s put down (but sleeps on me when I pick her up). She’s currently on infacol. Any other suggestions for her which worked for any of you? I can’t keep holding her for ages I start to fall asleep and that scares me 😟
Can you raise one end of the cot? That's worked for us

Dentinox worked 10 times better than infacol for us with all babies

Twin 2 is exactly the same 😔 combined with her constantly throwing her abidec up too shes just so uncomfortable. The only way I managed to settle her for about and hour last night was by holding her legs gently up to her stomach. After about 20mins she drifted off and slowly stopped grunting and then proceeded to let out a tit load of farts. Then it was time to feed again 😂.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
If it’s any consolation I had the same night. Thought I was watching tv then woke up and realised I was dreaming that I was awake with her. 11-6am of constant settling, putting down, resettling, putting down 🥱

Dentinox worked for us on the nights she was unsettled and colicky. It’s so tough but i promise it gets easier (not that that’s remotely helpful at the moment 💗). If you can try and figure out why she’s colicky, I found it much easier. For us the inconsolable crying was down to wind, so looking at ways to help that made it much easier. She also gets colicky when she’s overtired, so a dark room with no distractions and a calm feed helped. I’m not a medical expert, but I’m of the opinion that colic is a symptom of something else, rather than a condition on its own, so if you can help the something else hopefully the colic symptoms will reduce. Thinking of you because it’s tough, but sounds like you’re doing a great job!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.