New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had such a strange dream last night. Got a letter addressed to my baby and we’re actually waiting for a hospital appt for him so in my dream I was like ah! Hospital appt! Anyway, nope. I turns out he got a speeding ticket in my husbands car. When I asked my husband why he had insured the baby on his car, he said it’s because he brought the premium down 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Gadgets - Keep limited. Most are gimmicks, one use wonders and often make things more complicated than not. Save your money.

Gifts - people love buying new born baby clothes and you end up with more than you need. For me I much preferred dressing my newborns in the clothes that I had I purchased, spent months fondling them and imagining them in. Most outfits people bought my child got one wear for a photograph, which I would often go out of my way to take. If people want to buy clothes specify you would like 6 months onward. This is weaning age and where clothes need to be plentiful.

Clothes - stay practical! Can't stress enough although frilly dresses, headbands, mini trainers and denim two pieces look cool. I found were a waste of money and time, had safety issues or completely impractical. With my last child, I saw sense and opted for onesies. There are some really cool ones these days. I think newborns look better in onesies anyway.

Batch cook or stock up on quick food/microwables! Or if someone asks you if you need any help, take them up on the offer and ask them to make you a pot of grub.

Put away any ornate/decorative/nick nack pieces and things you don't use, clothes you know you won't wear for a while, just put it all away. Keep a BLANK house, almost like you're living out of a hotel room with your essensials, whilst in newborn stage. No they can't reach anything yet, but keeping all surface area clear makes things quick and easy to clean and sets you up nicely for when they are up and about.

Tell nobody the name until the child is born. 9 x out of 10 someone will draw some sort of negative concoction from it or in my case - steal it for their own child!

Reactions: 4
Yeah I’m still very sore and I think it’s partly the stitches but I think the bruising is the worst of it. Looking forward to moving without having to think about it and take it super slow.

Baby’s in that phase where he’s awake at night for no reason but he managed to sleep 3:45-7:15 which gave us a nice chunk to sleep. Genuinely never thought I’d be grateful saying ‘got a good 3 hours there.’
Hahah you sound like me, excitably texting my mum the first night I got 2.5 hours solid sleep and felt so refreshed 😂 hoping your stitches and bruising feel better soon!

Can someone reassure me that at 9 weeks their baby was still feeding every 2 hours during the day? Keep seeing all the posts about having to wake them to feed after 3 hours and worried she’s feeding too much 😬 at a push she’ll go 3 hours if we’re out and about in the sling etc and at night can go 5/6 hours (although that doesn’t happen every night!) but she seems to be feeding more than other babies of a similar age or younger during the day.

Reactions: 2
t
Tell nobody the name until the child is born. 9 x out of 10 someone will draw some sort of negative concoction from it or in my case - steal it for their own child!
I totally agree! We liked a name and mentioned to our family before my daughter was born, they all loved it but we said we still weren't sure as we didn't get the same vibe as we picked my sons name.
We eventually found a name which we loved and knew it was her name, told family this was 100% her name and my family took it so badly as they hated her name. It made me feel so tit, they'd refer to her as the baby and not her name when I was pregnant but before called her the other name. They'd make comments about it about how it's not a feminine name and I couldn't call my daughter her name. They actually stopped talking to me for a few days over it. Now they love it and can't see her being any other name. Tbh if someone told me their babies name and I wasn't keen on it, I'd still be nice about it as it's not my choice!

I loved a girls name when I was younger and told one of my best friends about it, fast forward a few years we fell out. I find out via Facebook she called her daughter the name I loved when I was younger 😬 it really got to me!

If I were to ever have another baby, I'm keeping my mouth shut for as long as and telling no one their name hahaha

I totally agree! We liked a name and mentioned to our family before my daughter was born, they all loved it but we said we still weren't sure as we didn't get the same vibe as we picked my sons name.
We eventually found a name which we loved and knew it was her name, told family this was 100% her name and my family took it so badly as they hated her name. It made me feel so tit, they'd refer to her as the baby and not her name when I was pregnant but before called her the other name. They'd make comments about it about how it's not a feminine name and I couldn't call my daughter her name. They actually stopped talking to me for a few days over it. Now they love it and can't see her being any other name. Tbh if someone told me their babies name and I wasn't keen on it, I'd still be nice about it as it's not my choice!

I loved a girls name when I was younger and told one of my best friends about it, fast forward a few years we fell out. I find out via Facebook she called her daughter the name I loved when I was younger 😬 it really got to me!

If I were to ever have another baby, I'm keeping my mouth shut for as long as and telling no one their name hahaha
A mate of mine (she's actually my exes ex and has the entire town on her facebook) she was a few weeks further along than me and keeping the sex of her baby a suprise for herself but had lined up a boy and a girl name from quite early on. She asked me what I was calling my son, I told her. A week or so later she announced on Facebook that she was changing the boys choice but it was this big secret and she was only giving away the initial. It was the initial of my sons and I just had a gut feeling ... I really crossed my fingers she was going to have a girl... She was in labour for days and I was anxiously waiting for her Facebook update... Little boy. Shamelessly stole the name - it's not an unusual name but it is very uncommon! I had weeks to go and really didn't want to appear although I was copying her so called my son a different name, which a relative suggested, it is slightly unusual but I fell in love with it. I actually cannot imagine my son being called the original stolen name at all now!!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Hahah you sound like me, excitably texting my mum the first night I got 2.5 hours solid sleep and felt so refreshed 😂 hoping your stitches and bruising feel better soon!

Can someone reassure me that at 9 weeks their baby was still feeding every 2 hours during the day? Keep seeing all the posts about having to wake them to feed after 3 hours and worried she’s feeding too much 😬 at a push she’ll go 3 hours if we’re out and about in the sling etc and at night can go 5/6 hours (although that doesn’t happen every night!) but she seems to be feeding more than other babies of a similar age or younger during the day.
Mine was feeding anywhere bewween 1 and 3 hours and was draining 6oz at a time! Sometimes every hour!
I was so worried I was over feeding her.
She's now settled to every 3 hours and 7oz at almost 5 months.

But it felt like I was constantly feeding her in the first few months don't worry!

You can't over feed them. Theyll only take what they're hungry for

Reactions: 1
Thanks all - we had a loooong night (baby biscuit slept through the entire thing 🤣 see attached) but they do think I have an infection. Thankfully not bad enough for IV antibiotics so I’m at home with tablets and dihydrocodiene trying to air my bits out lying on a towel 🥲

On the plus side, baby B has decided she’ll tolerate her Moses basket 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 so husband and I can both sleep at the same time! We had our first family nap when we got back from hospital! Small wins 💪🏼

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thanks all - we had a loooong night (baby biscuit slept through the entire thing 🤣 see attached) but they do think I have an infection. Thankfully not bad enough for IV antibiotics so I’m at home with tablets and dihydrocodiene trying to air my bits out lying on a towel 🥲

On the plus side, baby B has decided she’ll tolerate her Moses basket 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 so husband and I can both sleep at the same time! We had our first family nap when we got back from hospital! Small wins 💪🏼
Hey sorry to hear you have an infection, must be so uncomfortable. I missed a load of the pregnancy thread so didn’t see if you shared your full birth story or her name or anything but I hope it went as good as possible for you. I can’t believe we gave birth within 25 minutes of each other!!

Yes totally normal! My baby fed very frequently and now he’s 5.5 months he still only goes every 3 hours, I still go on baby’s cues ☺

Yes totally normal! My baby fed very frequently and now he’s 5.5 months he still only goes every 3 hours, I still go on baby’s cues ☺
My 7 month old is only going 3 hours through the night. So I’m going to go with its normal! 🤷‍♀️

Yep, my breastfed baby is 14 weeks and feeds every 2 hours during the day! Same as you, at a push we can stretch to 3 hours but will be very aggy. At night, he usually goes 6 hours straight without a feed.

Aw what a precious little pea. Love her sleepsuit.

I feel drained, literally. If I don’t meet her feeding cue within 1 minute she screams, we have to then calm her down before she even considers latching… could be 40 mins. during feed she scratched herself and started the calming down process again.
I was sat 6:30-8:15 calming and feeding her… is this normal!? In the end my OH took her and told me to have some time out

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I feel drained, literally. If I don’t meet her feeding cue within 1 minute she screams, we have to then calm her down before she even considers latching… could be 40 mins. during feed she scratched herself and started the calming down process again.
I was sat 6:30-8:15 calming and feeding her… is this normal!? In the end my OH took her and told me to have some time out
We have days like this where she is absolutely inconsolable, I feel you!

I’ve just found you all again! I wondered why it was so quiet!

@LilyRose1234 forgive me, I find it hard to keep track, but iirc you are breastfeeding? I would say feeding every 2 hours (or less) is absolutely normal, and it’s something I honestly would be doing up to 12/18 months. But then I stick I boob in there every time they even look at me sideways so maybe not the best judge 🤣 Certainly my 19 week old wouldn’t go longer than 2 hours.

@wakametango what feeding cues are you looking out for? You can try expressing a little milk on to her lips, to help her calm down and want to latch. One of my babies first feeding cues is hands to mouth, but really any time they stir I would offer a boob just in case

@orange club biscuit I’m sorry to hear about your infection, and also having to go to hospital with baby biscuit must have just been not fun. But glad you’re OK and baby biscuit is sleeping a bit better on her own! Small wins!

@Kitt ugh cord stumps are just horrid. I hate them. I’m sorry Finn is infected, I’m sure that’s really not pleasant for any of you. But hopefully it’s very short lived.

@Definitelyme thank you I look for her wriggling first of all, I know her legs going in the swaddle is a sign, then lip smacking… during the day I have been sleeping between feeds so maybe my OH hasn’t been quick enough bless him and I will set alarms for tonight to bet the cues. Just be quicker perhaps, thank you 😌🤍

@Definitelyme thank you I look for her wriggling first of all, I know her legs going in the swaddle is a sign, then lip smacking… during the day I have been sleeping between feeds so maybe my OH hasn’t been quick enough bless him and I will set alarms for tonight to bet the cues. Just be quicker perhaps, thank you 😌🤍
great to hear you’re getting some good sleep in the day 🥰 I always find my husband leaves it that TEENY bit longer than I would to say a baby needs fed, I think possibly because he doesn’t want me to feel like he’s palming baby off, he wants to feel like he can calm them too, but reality is the sooner you know, the better you can get a feed going without the screams.

• Heart
great to hear you’re getting some good sleep in the day 🥰 I always find my husband leaves it that TEENY bit longer than I would to say a baby needs fed, I think possibly because he doesn’t want me to feel like he’s palming baby off, he wants to feel like he can calm them too, but reality is the sooner you know, the better you can get a feed going without the screams.
Exactly this! I think he thinks oh I’ll just make sure she’s hungry and it’s too late. He’s conscious of us not jumping to her every need but I think she’s too small just yet. She’s only stirring for milk atm

• Heart
My daughter for the first few months wouldn't give ajy hungry signs. Would just be instant screaming until the bottle was ready!
It was such hard work because I couldn't work out when she was hungry!

• Heart
Exactly this! I think he thinks oh I’ll just make sure she’s hungry and it’s too late. He’s conscious of us not jumping to her every need but I think she’s too small just yet. She’s only stirring for milk atm
Totally agree, and the clue is in saying her every “need”. Babies just need stuff, it’s not want, just pure need. People our age have been conditioned way too much that we its bad to “spoil” babies, that they manipulate etc. My 4mo can’t get his hands in his mouth half the time, but Brenda up the road thinks he’s a master manipulator because he cries the stops when I pick him up. Maybe I’m just bloody great company 🤣

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.