New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've never had them push at all. Even with my first.
I know some can be though

They sleep between 16 and 18 hours a day at that age. Is it more than that?
It feels like more than that but maybe it isn't. I should maybe start timing it 🤔

Reactions: 1
Back from the hospital, saw an out of hours GP. She agreed it is very messy but she thinks it might be just the slough coming from it and it’s messier than usual because it’s so early and not had a chance to dry. She’s not keen to give him antibiotics cause he’s only 3 days old and he’s doing ok in himself. We’ve gotta give it a little clean today and see how we go and call back tomorrow if it gets any worse. It’s literally hanging on by a string and then there’s just a pool of yellow where his belly button should be. Rank. I’m glad he’s okay though and am feeling reassured from seeing someone.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Back from the hospital, saw an out of hours GP. She agreed it is very messy but she thinks it might be just the slough coming from it and it’s messier than usual because it’s so early and not had a chance to dry. She’s not keen to give him antibiotics cause he’s only 3 days old and he’s doing ok in himself. We’ve gotta give it a little clean today and see how we go and call back tomorrow if it gets any worse. It’s literally hanging on by a string and then there’s just a pool of yellow where his belly button should be. Rank. I’m glad he’s okay though and am feeling reassured from seeing someone.
I don't know if it's reassuring but mine this time had a pool of yellow where it was falling off. Hers only took 5 days this time where as both my son and daughter took almost 2 weeks.
Once it fell off, it changed after a couple of days though!

I don't know if it's reassuring but mine this time had a pool of yellow where it was falling off. Hers only took 5 days this time where as both my son and daughter took almost 2 weeks.
Once it fell off, it changed after a couple of days though!
that’s very very reassuring thank you.

This is what hers looked like. Fell off a day or two later

I've always found mine tend to sleep more if they're going through a growth spurt
That's maybe it then since apparently 6 weeks is a growth spurt!

Attachments

My 6 week old seems to be napping longer/more frequently during the day. When do you start to worry? Plenty wet/dirty nappies etc
I think as long as there are plenty of wet/dirty nappies you are fine... I just tell myself their body is growing and developing sooo quickly it must be exhausting for them!

saw an old friend earlier and she gifted us a few bits from Jojo Maman Bebe, oh my god the quality of the sleepsuit is gorgeous. im too tight to spend that kind of money haha i usually buy the multipack of white sleepsuits from m&s :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I think as long as there are plenty of wet/dirty nappies you are fine... I just tell myself their body is growing and developing sooo quickly it must be exhausting for them!

saw an old friend earlier and she gifted us a few bits from Jojo Maman Bebe, oh my god the quality of the sleepsuit is gorgeous. im too tight to spend that kind of money haha i usually buy the multipack of white sleepsuits from m&s :LOL:
my husbands work sent us a sleep suit from the little white company and it’s gorgeous and such good quality. Most of the stuff I’ve bought is second hand off Depop to save money so gifted bits like this are such a treat!

Reactions: 6
TE="Kitt, post: 6155050, member: 73082"]
[/QUOTE]

Glad you've been reassured by the doc, actual infections in the cord site aren't as common as you'd think, and I'm glad that your GP didin't rush to prescribe antibiotics, if not really needed.
Detaching cord stumps are basically rotting flesh (a lovely image, I know!) A very experienced midwife once told me that, although the cord stump can smell a bit horrid for a day or so, you should only be able to detect the smell if you're close to the baby (at changing time, for example). If you can smell it as soon as you walk into the room, it's definitely time to call the doctor! Some cord stumps will fall off really early, and they can take a little while to dry out. If it's taking longer than a couple of days, your doctor can prescribe a silver nitrate stick, which you apply to dry out the "wound". They used to be used in barbers shops to help heal shaving cuts. I can remember my dad having one in our bathroom cabinet, many years ago!

Reactions: 2
Hi guys.
keeping a track of time and aiming to feed her every 3 hours (after spending two days missing her cues and not feeding her enough 💔💔💔)

she Is swaddled at night. Do you keep swaddled or unswaddle during night feeds?

Hi guys.
keeping a track of time and aiming to feed her every 3 hours (after spending two days missing her cues and not feeding her enough 💔💔💔)

I always unswaddle because I change them during the night feed and then reswaddle 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 4
She's been sleeping 9pm until 6/7am
But tonight nooo 😂
Right after I was telling my partner how I'm feeling super stressed at the minute.
It's like she knew and wants to add to it 😂
9-6/7 is amazing! Let's hope tonight is just a one off and tomorrow she's back to doing the same and not adding more to your stress 🙈

@Kitt we had the same thing today! Cord fell off at 3 days old and loads of green goo. Coincidentally we had the community midwife round and she said it was fine and to wash it with cooled boiled water but I was freaking out!

I’m currently in hospital getting my stitches looked at as today I was in absolute agony and unable to sit, stand or lie down on the max pain 😩 they said it looks okay but the tear was in a really uncomfortable place. Waiting for codeine/precautionary antibiotics and trying not to fall asleep 😢

• Heart
@Kitt we had the same thing today! Cord fell off at 3 days old and loads of green goo. Coincidentally we had the community midwife round and she said it was fine and to wash it with cooled boiled water but I was freaking out!

I’m currently in hospital getting my stitches looked at as today I was in absolute agony and unable to sit, stand or lie down on the max pain 😩 they said it looks okay but the tear was in a really uncomfortable place. Waiting for codeine/precautionary antibiotics and trying not to fall asleep 😢
Ouch hope the tear doesn’t give you too much trouble ❤

• Heart
Hi guys.

I unswaddle because I change her but also worried about her getting too warm

Hope they get better for you!
I had the ridiculous pain with my second set of stitches and turns out it wasn't actually the stitches, it was due to bruising because of the pressure of baby during labour and she was there for a long time and I was fighting against my body trying to make me push.

I was in that much pain for months. It was awful. Couldn't stand, couldn't sit, couldn't lay down. Nothing was making it feel any better

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Oh bless you I hope you manage to get some rest once you’re home 🙁

• Heart
Yeah I’m still very sore and I think it’s partly the stitches but I think the bruising is the worst of it. Looking forward to moving without having to think about it and take it super slow.

Baby’s in that phase where he’s awake at night for no reason but he managed to sleep 3:45-7:15 which gave us a nice chunk to sleep. Genuinely never thought I’d be grateful saying ‘got a good 3 hours there.’

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.