New baby and post birth advice #29 If you burn your butt, you have to sit on the blisters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just started to wean baby T and it’s so cute seeing him eat 🥺 but the mess is driving me mad. He only likes it if I load up the spoon and then hold it infront of him, then he grabs it and guides it to his mouth whilst I still have a slight hold of it so he doesn’t stab himself in the eye, but he just ends up covered in food 😑 it took so long to clean it all up and bath him, is this what life will be like now?

he’s breast fed so has no idea what to do with a bottle or cup, I’ve been trying to get him to have some water with his meals but he can’t work out what to do with any type of bottle, I have a tum tum bottle and I even tried just putting water in a baby bottle but he doesn’t know how to drink anything thats not from my boob. Is it that bad if he’s not having any water? I offer him the boob after, so he’s not going thirsty. Do they just eventually figure it out?
Yes, messy is there until about age 5. My 6yo is still always messy after things like spaghetti!

An open cup is a great choice for a breastfed baby, as the motion they will make when getting water from it is very similar to the motion their jaw makes when breastfeeding. A cup like a doidy is great, and what all my kids have used, but any open cup is fine really.
My SIL gave ToddlerMe (16months nearly) a classic tommee tippee sippy cup last week and he hadn’t a clue how to get the water out of the spout 🙈 They do get there with sippy cups, but we’ve always bypassed the middle man and gone straight to open cup, and a free flow bottle for when out and about.

Reactions: 3
Oh man she’s trying to breathe thru her mouth and can’t settle to sleep.
ige never seen this before - people who have had snotty babies please tell me she’ll be ok tonight so I don’t worry all night she can’t breathe 🙈😭😭
For the past few months since nursery orange had to breathe through her mouth because nursery have her a new cold illness every week she will wake up if she is uncomfortable just give calpol etc the fever is what is more
Concerning so just watch her temp ❤ I know it’s scary but she will be ok xx

Yes, messy is there until about age 5. My 6yo is still always messy after things like spaghetti!

An open cup is a great choice for a breastfed baby, as the motion they will make when getting water from it is very similar to the motion their jaw makes when breastfeeding. A cup like a doidy is great, and what all my kids have used, but any open cup is fine really.
My SIL gave ToddlerMe (16months nearly) a classic tommee tippee sippy cup last week and he hadn’t a clue how to get the water out of the spout 🙈 They do get there with sippy cups, but we’ve always bypassed the middle man and gone straight to open cup, and a free flow bottle for when out and about.
Orange has a straw and she thinks it’s ace because it pops out 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 1
For the past few months since nursery orange had to breathe through her mouth because nursery have her a new cold illness every week she will wake up if she is uncomfortable just give calpol etc the fever is what is more
Concerning so just watch her temp ❤ I know it’s scary but she will be ok xx

Orange has a straw and she thinks it’s ace because it pops out 🤪
Yes, ToddlerMe is particularly enamoured with the spring up lid on one of our bottles. Sadly, he then tips all the water out … the other day he did it in a restaurant all over the carpet.

Oh flip me ladies, forgot this gem from today!! So after dinner, because it was 9000°C, I stripped the beast off, nappy and all, and set him free. I was watching him out the window as we tidied up, and saw a familiar face. Got some wipes and went to clean up the poo which was all down his leg 😫 So I said to KW “I’ll put a nappy on him” as he usually poops once every few days, and does a load at that time. But nothing in the nappy when he went up for his bath. I was tidying the garden, lifted his sun hat and went "why is this wet?"
HE MANAGED TO tit IN HIS SUN HAT 😂😂😂😂 I dunno how, what a talent he has 😂 Also found a nice pile of poo beside his sun hat on the grass, like he was a dog. Think he is now classed as totally feral.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Just started to wean baby T and it’s so cute seeing him eat 🥺 but the mess is driving me mad. He only likes it if I load up the spoon and then hold it infront of him, then he grabs it and guides it to his mouth whilst I still have a slight hold of it so he doesn’t stab himself in the eye, but he just ends up covered in food 😑 it took so long to clean it all up and bath him, is this what life will be like now?

he’s breast fed so has no idea what to do with a bottle or cup, I’ve been trying to get him to have some water with his meals but he can’t work out what to do with any type of bottle, I have a tum tum bottle and I even tried just putting water in a baby bottle but he doesn’t know how to drink anything thats not from my boob. Is it that bad if he’s not having any water? I offer him the boob after, so he’s not going thirsty. Do they just eventually figure it out?
At nearly 9 months it feels like life is so much cleaning and feeding these days, especially now we’re firmly on 3 meals a day. It has helped that I caved and splurged on the Bibado bibs that wrap round the high chair and have a fabric bib on him underneath. So unless it’s anything super messy (weetabix, curry, bolognese) I only need to wipe his hands and face with a flannel and then he’s clean and can go to play while I sort out the chair and floor.
I feed him ‘clean’ meals directly at the table but messy stuff like Weetabix with the tray attached so I can take it off and soak it.

With a breastfed baby water intake doesn’t matter at all at the moment. It’s useful to swill their mouth esp when they’ve had something like cous cous, but for now it only matters that you’re offering it so they can have a practise.
We only give him an open cup to sip from at meal times (he’s breastfed but due to his latching difficulties had expressed milk in cup feeds all the time from day 1 to avoid nipple confusion until 8 weeks when I got him on the boob) and then save the tum tum cup for practise away from the table, or sometimes a 360 cup. That’s just personal preference cos it gives me the ick thinking about mushed up food going in the straw or in the rim bit of the 360 cup 🤢

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Oh flip me ladies, forgot this gem from today!! So after dinner, because it was 9000°C, I stripped the beast off, nappy and all, and set him free. I was watching him out the window as we tidied up, and saw a familiar face. Got some wipes and went to clean up the poo which was all down his leg 😫 So I said to KW “I’ll put a nappy on him” as he usually poops once every few days, and does a load at that time. But nothing in the nappy when he went up for his bath. I was tidying the garden, lifted his sun hat and went "why is this wet?"
HE MANAGED TO tit IN HIS SUN HAT 😂😂😂😂 I dunno how, what a talent he has 😂 Also found a nice pile of poo beside his sun hat on the grass, like he was a dog. Think he is now classed as totally feral.
Toddler Me is a true legend 😂

Who is this, and do we all get a share of said millions 😂

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I went to look round a nursery today; they book up so quickly round here, so even though it's 8 months away it's that time already. It absolutely breaks my heart thinking of leaving him. 😭 Told my husband he might have to go and look at the others cos I can't make a measured decision on this when I'm bereft at the thought of leaving him anywhere. Please someone more experienced than me tell me you felt like this and it was all ok when the time actually came? 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 11
So she was pretty good last night in the end 🙈 she’s still so snotty and her voice is really croaky ☹ She sounds awful I’m just hoping nursery don’t send her home. At least my boss is on holiday so he probably wouldn’t need to know but still. Why is everything a worry?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
So she was pretty good last night in the end 🙈 she’s still so snotty and her voice is really croaky ☹ She sounds awful I’m just hoping nursery don’t send her home. At least my boss is on holiday so he probably wouldn’t need to know but still. Why is everything a worry?
I know this is one of those annoying things people say, but it does get easier as they get older. All the firsts are hard (first bad cold, first bad fall, first broken bone 🙈) but once they get through those and you have that in your arsenal, next time is easier ❤

ToddlerMe slept the sleep of the dead last night. Never seen him so conked out! He still needed a boob maybe 3 times, but it was a quick affair rather than the usual where he has a drink and throws himself around half the night. He barely moved all night, never seen him so zonked

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I went to look round a nursery today; they book up so quickly round here, so even though it's 8 months away it's that time already. It absolutely breaks my heart thinking of leaving him. 😭 Told my husband he might have to go and look at the others cos I can't make a measured decision on this when I'm bereft at the thought of leaving him anywhere. Please someone more experienced than me tell me you felt like this and it was all ok when the time actually came? 🙈
It is hard when you return to work but when you see how much your baby learns and develops it is worth every penny you spend for nursery however I would suggest you visiting the other potential nurseries as you need to feel happy where he is going as well as your partner. My friends boyfriend found a nursery which looked good on the internet they went there and it was awful so I would defo advise viewing them together.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It is hard when you return to work but when you see how much your baby learns and develops it is worth every penny you spend for nursery however I would suggest you visiting the other potential nurseries as you need to feel happy where he is going as well as your partner. My friends boyfriend found a nursery which looked good on the internet they went there and it was awful so I would defo advise viewing them together.
I agree — look at the daycares. We found one that was absolutely perfect and checked all of our boxes. Went to look at it and it was a nightmare. Shared a building with a scouting group and there were beer bottles all over and all sorts of other negative aspects. We nearly signed up for it blindly.

• Wow
  • Heart
I know this is one of those annoying things people say, but it does get easier as they get older. All the firsts are hard (first bad cold, first bad fall, first broken bone 🙈) but once they get through those and you have that in your arsenal, next time is easier ❤

ToddlerMe slept the sleep of the dead last night. Never seen him so conked out! He still needed a boob maybe 3 times, but it was a quick affair rather than the usual where he has a drink and throws himself around half the night. He barely moved all night, never seen him so zonked
*touch wood* we've not had a broken bone yet!
4yo fell down the stairs the other day, right from the top! And I thought oh god, here we go!
We have the pushchair acting as a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs too so she crashed in to that on top!

I've never broken one myself either so fingers crossed it lasts 😂
Can see Everleigh being the first one though. The level of crazy that she is 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 2

Fingers crossed I’ve never broke a bone so hopefully she doesn’t 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 1
*touch wood* we've not had a broken bone yet!
4yo fell down the stairs the other day, right from the top! And I thought oh god, here we go!
We have the pushchair acting as a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs too so she crashed in to that on top!

I've never broken one myself either so fingers crossed it lasts 😂
Can see Everleigh being the first one though. The level of crazy that she is 😂
Well we’ve never had a big accident like falling down the stairs 😨 but 6Me broke his leg when he was 2… he was running in the hall and just fell over. Nothing major, just a normal looking fall, but he screeched and screamed afterwards more so than normal to the point I was like “something here isn’t right”. Broken femur. He was in a cast for 8 weeks, and that happened on the 6th day of the summer holidays 😬 so that was a long summer with no park trips, no swimming. We did lots of things where 9Me (then 5) could run around and 6Me could sit in the buggy and look at stuff! But after the initial few days pain, it didn’t seem to bother him at all. So I think next time we get a broken bone I’ll not be so convinced it’s the end of the world 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Well we’ve never had a big accident like falling down the stairs 😨 but 6Me broke his leg when he was 2… he was running in the hall and just fell over. Nothing major, just a normal looking fall, but he screeched and screamed afterwards more so than normal to the point I was like “something here isn’t right”. Broken femur. He was in a cast for 8 weeks, and that happened on the 6th day of the summer holidays 😬 so that was a long summer with no park trips, no swimming. We did lots of things where 9Me (then 5) could run around and 6Me could sit in the buggy and look at stuff! But after the initial few days pain, it didn’t seem to bother him at all. So I think next time we get a broken bone I’ll not be so convinced it’s the end of the world 🤣
This might sound a stupid question/thought, but in that case, where you have to take them to the hospital, my thought is always, I'm going to have to strap them in the car seat and especially if they've broken their femur or something, that's going to be awful strapping them in 😂

It's an image I play constantly in my head, if they were to hurt themselves... What do I do about getting them into their seat 😂😂

Reactions: 2
This might sound a stupid question/thought, but in that case, where you have to take them to the hospital, my thought is always, I'm going to have to strap them in the car seat and especially if they've broken their femur or something, that's going to be awful strapping them in 😂

It's an image I play constantly in my head, if they were to hurt themselves... What do I do about getting them into their seat 😂😂
Well weirdly enough he was actually more comfortable in the car seat as it must have stabilised his leg enough to stop any pressure on it. He was laughing and joking with his sister on the drive to the hospital, to the point I actually thought “maybe I’m overreacting” and even when we got there I said “he’s probably just pulled a muscle”.
And when I was holding him still, again it wasn’t so sore, so putting him in to the car seat was actually ok.
To add to the fun, I was 28 weeks pregnant with current 3Me at the time, so couldn’t go in any of his X-rays with him. It was a super fun time 🤣

Reactions: 3
Well weirdly enough he was actually more comfortable in the car seat as it must have stabilised his leg enough to stop any pressure on it. He was laughing and joking with his sister on the drive to the hospital, to the point I actually thought “maybe I’m overreacting” and even when we got there I said “he’s probably just pulled a muscle”.
And when I was holding him still, again it wasn’t so sore, so putting him in to the car seat was actually ok.
To add to the fun, I was 28 weeks pregnant with current 3Me at the time, so couldn’t go in any of his X-rays with him. It was a super fun time 🤣
Oh gosh! What a nightmare 😂
They always choose their timings so well 😂

When 5yo was 3 she broke her collar bone falling over at nursery - the screams getting her in and out of the cat seat will haunt me forever ☹

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Hello everyone! I’m back!

It’s been a crazy few days - Mr Rita and I got married 👰‍♀️💒 and it’s been my birthday! Thanks for all your lovely messages you tagged me in, so much appreciated 💕💕

Baby Rita was a delight on the day - she actually slept most of it so I didn’t get as many pictures with her as I would have liked. BUT I would rather that than her to be screaming all day! And the main thing is that she was there 🥰

Feeing so blessed… feels like a dream 💖 and as per the last thread title being a mum really is the best present, I couldn’t have asked for more. My life feels complete with my little family 😍👨‍👩‍👧

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Lol throwback to last Christmas when I was 182 months pregnant and my 4yo broke his leg (in 2 places 🙃) on a trampoline after x1 bounce after I said go to a trampoline park and not to the cinema with his dad because he’d have more “fun”. Fml worst 8 weeks ever 😂 absolutely the worst feeling ever when they’re in so much pain!

also we had to strap a small coffee table into the car so he could put his leg up on it because his car seat was too bulky for his cast hahahaha

• Heart
Lol throwback to last Christmas when I was 182 months pregnant and my 4yo broke his leg (in 2 places 🙃) on a trampoline after x1 bounce after I said go to a trampoline park and not to the cinema with his dad because he’d have more “fun”. Fml worst 8 weeks ever 😂 absolutely the worst feeling ever when they’re in so much pain!

also we had to strap a small coffee table into the car so he could put his leg up on it because his car seat was too bulky for his cast hahahaha
I'm now thinking I haven't over thought these scenarios enough 😂

Although my brain normally goes more like... What if they chop their hand off and I'm by myself. And I have to drive to the hospital. How do I manage 😂

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.