New baby and post birth advice #29 If you burn your butt, you have to sit on the blisters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
but she doesn’t really even cry though- just if she’s ignored from her cot. Mainly she shouts and flaps about like a demented snow angel. Big, big, beacon eyes. She’s happy if she’s being held up right on someone.

but that’s not conducive to doing tit

She does and then I’ll move to put her in her cot or Moses basket and then she’ll start shouting.

I am just so jealous of people who just know their baby will sleep for x amount of hours so they can prepare dinner or do some laundry.

If she napped reliably too, my husband would be able to have her in his office for chunks of the day too so I could do some sorting out or have some downtime. he is ‘the boss’ so can get away with her snoozing on his work time.

I feel like I’m in a hostage situation

she’s 9 weeks old today.

I have a fabric sling which she likes sometimes, but 9/10 times- the time that she needs it is when it will piss her off.

I have never heard of the witching hour…we have been calling it ‘party time’ in our house

bleeping terrible party though, frankly
If she falls asleep when she feeds again, I would then just stay put with her and let her feed and snooze as long as she wants. I’m assuming she breastfeeds? I have spent a scary amount of the last 10 years with my boob in the mouth of a sleeping child, or stuffing it back in as they start to rouse.
It feels like you are an absolute slave to them, I know. You don’t get a second, and it is so overwhelming to have that demand on you, and feel like everything else is piling up round your ears.
But these early days of the fourth trimester baby really often just needs to be snuggled in close. I’ve never had a baby who I can set down in a Moses basket and walk away, they are in my arms (or more accurately a sling) constantly.

Reactions: 6
This baby is still not napping. It’s killing me.

She’ll have a contact nap after feeding, but for 5-10 minutes and then she’s rooting again.

I’m getting a decent chunk of sleep at night, four hour stretches- but the nap of lacking is a nightmare. MIL has been here helping this week so the house is tidy and I have done some exercise- but usually I am just holding or feeding an awake baby all day.

She chills in her bouncer if I really do need to put her down but it doesn’t solve the bedtime problem. Because of the no napping (bar 5 x 10 minute catnaps) by the time it’s bedtime, she’s overtired. She refuses the big bottle of milk to knock her out and is just rigid and hyper alert.

My husband had to do what I can only describe as frantic disco dancing with her last night for about 45 minutes straight to get her to sleep.

I’m trying to wind her down at early sleep cues, but she doesn’t want to. She’ll just try and root for food or start shouting. She’s gaining weight beautifully and enough dirty/wet nappies so I don’t think she’s hungry. She has a dummy but it only seems to piss her off when she is overtired rather than being pacifying.

It’s really unhelpful to be told that she should be sleeping for 16 hours a day :( she doesn’t. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
I don't have much advice but just wanted to say that you're not doing anything wrong.
I've never had a baby sleep 16 hours.
Don't think I've even had one sleep 12 😂

We've always done naps as contact naps as it's been the only way to get them to sleep and stay asleep but even then like you say, it's only ever been 10 minutes or so.

So please know, you're not doing anything wrong!
♥

I just thought I'd add that I don't know many, if any who can put their baby down for hours at a time and know they'll sleep. Especially early on ♥

Reactions: 3
but she doesn’t really even cry though- just if she’s ignored from her cot. Mainly she shouts and flaps about like a demented snow angel. Big, big, beacon eyes. She’s happy if she’s being held up right on someone.

but that’s not conducive to doing tit
Honestly, give up on the idea of doing tit. It leads to a happier life 😂

Reactions: 8
Honestly I think your baby is far more ‘normal’ (maybe I should say common not normal?) than the idea of popping them in a basket and leaving them to it. I bet if we took a thread poll, loads of us contact nap, and have to cosleep at night too as babies just don’t like to sleep alone. They’re only small once, forget about the sorting out for now, and snuggle down on the sofa with some terrible tv instead
Agreed! ❤ Mine actually does sleep at night in his cot but we’re getting on for 9 months and still contact napping and weirdly I love it more than ever. @absolute-omnishambles I do remember the claustrophobic feeling around that age of not being able to put them down but as they get bigger it gets easier - when they’re awake you can pop them in a bouncer and they’re happy to watch you make dinner then. Housework I pretty much aim for a brief tidy of one room a day, anything else is too ambitious 🤣

Reactions: 4
What a lovely idea - I feel like I know all of your babies a little bit better now 🥰

favourite bits -
When he wakes up in the morning and I turn his nightlight on and look in his next to me crib and he gives me the biggest, gummiest smile.
His goofy little laugh when he thinks I’ve said or done something funny.
Contact naps.
When I pick him up and hear him do a contented little sigh in my ear 🥹

Least favourite bits -
Cleaning explosive poo out of his clothes 10000x per week.
When he rips out the teeny hairs at the base of my neck.
Having to wrestle him to sleep for naps like Steve Irwin wrestling a baby crocodile.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Loved reading everyones fave bits, how sweet

fave bits have to be his first little smile in the morning, how he giggles whenever he sees his big brother and how happy he is. I honestly can't remember life without my little guy. And he's just bloody beautiful *chefs kiss*

least fave bits are the nights, because well, he just does not sleep and sleep is life for me. He also chooses violence on the daily and loves to rip my hair out (whats left, postpartum is HARDDD). He also can't stay still when he's feeding, drives me insaneeee but he's cute so we move

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Just catching up after having an afternoon off of Tattle…

Back to normal chat, my favourite part of the day is when I’m just sat down in a quiet room feeding baby T before he goes for a nap and it’s just us 2. He’s mad for the boob milk, this might sound weird but his little face just looks so content whilst he’s feeding 🥺 I really try to savour those moments and it’s one thing I hope I always remember.
Also love when he’s just woken up and he’s all smiley and full of beans.

Worst part is his daily explosive tit that 9/10 times leaks everywhere no matter how many nappies we have tried. And weaning, nope I don’t like it.

We are going to Lego Land tomorrow with the 5 year old, I’m excited because he will love it, but are there any tips on surviving a long and busy day out with a 6 month old who has FOMO so won’t feed/sleep much?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just catching up after having an afternoon off of Tattle…

Back to normal chat, my favourite part of the day is when I’m just sat down in a quiet room feeding baby T before he goes for a nap and it’s just us 2. He’s mad for the boob milk, this might sound weird but his little face just looks so content whilst he’s feeding 🥺 I really try to savour those moments and it’s one thing I hope I always remember.
Also love when he’s just woken up and he’s all smiley and full of beans.

Worst part is his daily explosive tit that 9/10 times leaks everywhere no matter how many nappies we have tried. And weaning, nope I don’t like it.

We are going to Lego Land tomorrow with the 5 year old, I’m excited because he will love it, but are there any tips on surviving a long and busy day out with a 6 month old who has FOMO so won’t feed/sleep much?
Bring something you can chuck on the ground and set him down to give him some space to kick round, rather than being in a sling/buggy all day.

Reactions: 2
I EBF and she’s had a dummy from day 0. She takes pumped milk in a bottle too. We use MAM everything.

The studies about it interfering with breastfeeding are not solid enough. WHO has said parents can make up their own minds as the evidence base is not solid enough.
Yeah that’s kinda what I thought and I know enough about supply and demand that I’ll probably start pumping soon too. I exclusively pumped first time and at this rate it seems easier than breastfeeding. Early days though!

We had a much better night I got maybe 3-4 hours total sleep and my husband much more.. so I’m expecting him to be on form helping today 😇

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.