New baby and post birth advice #29 If you burn your butt, you have to sit on the blisters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I plan to never take my kids to see father Christmas if I can help it šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ mean mummy!

Also, unrelated but I thought this might be fun/interesting - obviously every day is different, but in general, what is your favourite time of day/activity, and what is your least favourite?

I think my least favourite is the 30-60 minutes before dinner when I'm trying to cook, they're both tired and being whingebags, and one or both of them tends to do a tit šŸ˜‚

My favourite is having a cuddle in bed in the morning or any time me and toddler are dancing in the kitchen and it makes baby laugh!
Favourite is when we go and get his Daddy up in the mornings and all just lie in bed and snuggle together for half an hour šŸ„°

Least favourite is after his 7pm feed, it's his witching time and unfortunately the same time that OH goes for a nap before his shift with Tommy overnight, so I am always stuck with him. He is the devil incarnate for a good hour or two but I should be grateful really because it used to be a good 20-22 hours šŸ˜‚

You ok hun?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I plan to never take my kids to see father Christmas if I can help it šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ mean mummy!

Also, unrelated but I thought this might be fun/interesting - obviously every day is different, but in general, what is your favourite time of day/activity, and what is your least favourite?

I think my least favourite is the 30-60 minutes before dinner when I'm trying to cook, they're both tired and being whingebags, and one or both of them tends to do a tit šŸ˜‚

My favourite is having a cuddle in bed in the morning or any time me and toddler are dancing in the kitchen and it makes baby laugh!
I love this! Favourite parts are;
-whenever she laughs at something me or her dad do
-first thing in the morning when she smiles and is so happy when we go in to get her out of the cot
-contact naps and just watching her sleep on me
-watching her learn new things or when we take her places and she sees something she really likes

Least fave:
-NICU and medical appointments
- from 3:30-4:30 when she is grumpy AF for no reason
-getting her ready to bed as its a sweaty wresting match šŸ˜‚

In other news baby A has her first settling in session at nursery tomorrow (I know how dare I be going to work and getting someone else to care for my child šŸ˜‚). Iā€™m hoping sheā€™ll be okay! Itā€™s all starting to feel very real now!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
school holiday edition
Favourite time: 9-11am when everyone is either just doing their own thing, or else we are out doing something already
Least favourite time: 4pm/before dinner, as with others. People are hangry, people are tired, people are trying to cook, people are angry (All those people are me šŸ¤£)

Term time edition
Favourite time: 2-3pm when my second is home from school, and the little ones are playing with him and I get five mins peace and a cup of tea
Least favourite time: 3.30- teatime. Same as holiday edition, but with the added annoyance of trying to get homework done, and amuse the little two while helping the big two.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Toddler Runner:
My favourite: she loves crafts and I could sit and colour in with her for hours. She also loves cooking and sheā€™s so good at chopping things like mushrooms and we cook dinner together.
Least favourite: pretend play. Meal times as sheā€™s a right fuss pot and just refuses to eat most things. And occasionally she just decides to be a pain in the arse for no reason at all and when sheā€™s in that mood she makes a bee line for my piles of clean folded washing thatā€™s waiting to be put away and just unfolds it all.

Baby Runner:
Favourite: first thing in the morning. Yes, itā€™s inevitably 5am but she is just in such a delightful mood it makes up for how obscene the time is. I also think thereā€™s something a bit special about snuggly baby night feeds
Least favourite: meal times as I inevitably have to clean food off everything within a 3 mile radius. And poo explosions that go up her back

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Has anyone breastfeed and given a dummy super early? Iā€™m keen to get a solid chunk of sleep but wondering if I offer the dummy too often will it affect our chance of success? I bottle fed my last baby so Iā€™m assuming as long as I feed regularly itā€™ll be fine? (Night 3 here! Second time mum but feel like an absolute newbie again)
I EBF and sheā€™s had a dummy from day 0. She takes pumped milk in a bottle too. We use MAM everything.

The studies about it interfering with breastfeeding are not solid enough. WHO has said parents can make up their own minds as the evidence base is not solid enough.

Reactions: 1
Least favourite: pretend play.
The absolute WORST. I despise it. Luckily my kids now have each other for those sort of shenanigans.

(That said I spent a good portion of my evening playing cafes, which is probably the least offensive of all pretend play in our house)

Reactions: 2
Oh my god. Iā€™ve just had the following conversation with KW and Iā€™ve literally run to tattle as I think itā€™ll amuse some of youā€¦

ā€œI think Iā€™ve worked out why Baby Runner likes Miss Rachel so much. She looks just like you.And youā€™re generally just quite similarā€

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Oh my god. Iā€™ve just had the following conversation with KW and Iā€™ve literally run to tattle as I think itā€™ll amuse some of youā€¦

ā€œI think Iā€™ve worked out why Baby Runner likes Miss Rachel so much. She looks just like you.And youā€™re generally just quite similarā€

Mr Runner doesn't value life does he?

• Haha
Reactions: 3
šŸšŖšŸ‘‹šŸ¼ finally touching down in this thread after what felt like the longest pregnancy ever šŸ‘¶šŸ¼

coming right in with the need for some advice šŸ‘šŸ‡ related so Iā€™ll throw it behind a spoiler šŸ™‚

3 days PP and I am SUFFERING so badly with piles. It was there just before I had baby but pushing has 100000% made it worse to the point Iā€™m struggling to sit šŸ˜© Iā€™ve got some ointment that Iā€™m applying but Iā€™m hoping someone, somewhere might have some advice that helped ease it quickly šŸ˜”

• Heart
Reactions: 12
This baby is still not napping. Itā€™s killing me.

Sheā€™ll have a contact nap after feeding, but for 5-10 minutes and then sheā€™s rooting again.

Iā€™m getting a decent chunk of sleep at night, four hour stretches- but the nap of lacking is a nightmare. MIL has been here helping this week so the house is tidy and I have done some exercise- but usually I am just holding or feeding an awake baby all day.

She chills in her bouncer if I really do need to put her down but it doesnā€™t solve the bedtime problem. Because of the no napping (bar 5 x 10 minute catnaps) by the time itā€™s bedtime, sheā€™s overtired. She refuses the big bottle of milk to knock her out and is just rigid and hyper alert.

My husband had to do what I can only describe as frantic disco dancing with her last night for about 45 minutes straight to get her to sleep.

Iā€™m trying to wind her down at early sleep cues, but she doesnā€™t want to. Sheā€™ll just try and root for food or start shouting. Sheā€™s gaining weight beautifully and enough dirty/wet nappies so I donā€™t think sheā€™s hungry. She has a dummy but it only seems to piss her off when she is overtired rather than being pacifying.

Itā€™s really unhelpful to be told that she should be sleeping for 16 hours a day :( she doesnā€™t. I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing wrong.

• Heart
šŸšŖšŸ‘‹šŸ¼ finally touching down in this thread after what felt like the longest pregnancy ever šŸ‘¶šŸ¼

coming right in with the need for some advice šŸ‘šŸ‡ related so Iā€™ll throw it behind a spoiler šŸ™‚

3 days PP and I am SUFFERING so badly with piles. It was there just before I had baby but pushing has 100000% made it worse to the point Iā€™m struggling to sit šŸ˜© Iā€™ve got some ointment that Iā€™m applying but Iā€™m hoping someone, somewhere might have some advice that helped ease it quickly šŸ˜”
Go to your GP and get the proper stuff. Suppositories and cream. And Iā€™d also recommend getting a sitz bath and Epsom salts. Donā€™t worry, postpartum piles are a frequently discussed matter around these parts šŸ˜‚

The absolute WORST. I despise it. Luckily my kids now have each other for those sort of shenanigans.

(That said I spent a good portion of my evening playing cafes, which is probably the least offensive of all pretend play in our house)
How long do I have to wait before the baby can be enough of an active participant in this nonsense so I donā€™t get dragged into it?!

Reactions: 2
I will also add onto my least favourite bit when youā€™re with family members who insist on holding her and passing her round and talking really loudly in her face and the baby is just screaming.

You have to sit there and smile and pretend it doesnā€™t feel like youā€™re being shot in the heart. Then eventually someone decides to pass her back and she obviously stops crying then they say ā€œoh she just doesnā€™t like me.ā€
Well no Brenda she doesnā€™t actually but you insisted that you needed to hold her šŸ’€šŸ’€šŸ’€

Reactions: 12

Congratulations! (On the baby, not the piles!)

Sheā€™ll have a contact nap after feeding, but for 5-10 minutes and then sheā€™s rooting again.

Iā€™m getting a decent chunk of sleep at night, four hour stretches- but the nap of lacking is a nightmare. MIL has been here helping this week so the house is tidy and I have done some exercise- but usually I am just holding or feeding an awake baby all day.

She chills in her bouncer if I really do need to put her down but it doesnā€™t solve the bedtime problem. Because of the no napping (bar 5 x 10 minute catnaps) by the time itā€™s bedtime, sheā€™s overtired. She refuses the big bottle of milk to knock her out and is just rigid and hyper alert.

My husband had to do what I can only describe as frantic disco dancing with her last night for about 45 minutes straight to get her to sleep.

Iā€™m trying to wind her down at early sleep cues, but she doesnā€™t want to. Sheā€™ll just try and root for food or start shouting. Sheā€™s gaining weight beautifully and enough dirty/wet nappies so I donā€™t think sheā€™s hungry. She has a dummy but it only seems to piss her off when she is overtired rather than being pacifying.

Itā€™s really unhelpful to be told that she should be sleeping for 16 hours a day :( she doesnā€™t. I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing wrong.
When she roots around after 5/10 mins does she go back to sleep if you feed her?

Could be worse. Could be Miss Immy šŸ˜‚

• Haha

First of all, I promise youā€™re not doing anything wrong. Some babies just donā€™t like being babies. And Iā€™ve never had a baby that sleeps the ridiculous lengths of time they recommend.
How old is your baby again? Personally, Iā€™ve never really managed to get a baby sleeping unless theyā€™re on me, and often I need to be moving too so my baby tends to sleep in a carrier a lot. Itā€™s also really common for babies to just absolutely lose their tit in the evening - itā€™s not called the witching hour for nothing.
Reading this back, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve said anything remotely helpful, but solidarity, weā€™ve all been there and I promise they do grow out of it

Awww my favourite bit is in the morning, heā€™s super cute and chatty and I sit him on the bed and open the blinds and he just stares at the blind with this big gummy excited grin every morning šŸ„ŗšŸ¤£

Worst part - about 2am when heā€™s woken me in the middle of a dream for the 1927478194 time of the night haha.

In terms of Santa Iā€™ve always wondered this - is it weird to go with a baby who clearly has no idea whatā€™s going on and who Santa is? Like are we just going to be weird awkward parents in the queue while other normal aged children around are actually excited. Or will there be lots of parents with just one baby?! šŸ‘€šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Congratulations! (On the baby, not the piles!)

When she roots around after 5/10 mins does she go back to sleep if you feed her?
She does and then Iā€™ll move to put her in her cot or Moses basket and then sheā€™ll start shouting.

I am just so jealous of people who just know their baby will sleep for x amount of hours so they can prepare dinner or do some laundry.

If she napped reliably too, my husband would be able to have her in his office for chunks of the day too so I could do some sorting out or have some downtime. he is ā€˜the bossā€™ so can get away with her snoozing on his work time.

I feel like Iā€™m in a hostage situation

First of all, I promise youā€™re not doing anything wrong. Some babies just donā€™t like being babies. And Iā€™ve never had a baby that sleeps the ridiculous lengths of time they recommend.
How old is your baby again? Personally, Iā€™ve never really managed to get a baby sleeping unless theyā€™re on me, and often I need to be moving too so my baby tends to sleep in a carrier a lot. Itā€™s also really common for babies to just absolutely lose their tit in the evening - itā€™s not called the witching hour for nothing.
Reading this back, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve said anything remotely helpful, but solidarity, weā€™ve all been there and I promise they do grow out of it
sheā€™s 9 weeks old today.

I have a fabric sling which she likes sometimes, but 9/10 times- the time that she needs it is when it will piss her off.

I have never heard of the witching hourā€¦we have been calling it ā€˜party timeā€™ in our house

bleeping terrible party though, frankly

• Heart
Awww my favourite bit is in the morning, heā€™s super cute and chatty and I sit him on the bed and open the blinds and he just stares at the blind with this big gummy excited grin every morning šŸ„ŗšŸ¤£

Worst part - about 2am when heā€™s woken me in the middle of a dream for the 1927478194 time of the night haha.

In terms of Santa Iā€™ve always wondered this - is it weird to go with a baby who clearly has no idea whatā€™s going on and who Santa is? Like are we just going to be weird awkward parents in the queue while other normal aged children around are actually excited. Or will there be lots of parents with just one baby?! šŸ‘€šŸ˜‚
There is usually a mix I think. We went last Christmas to a big Santa experience and there was definitely a big mix of ages.
tbh we did it last year to get a picture of Santa and all 4 kids so we can show them they did see Santa at some point. We usually do not go to see Santa as itā€™s over priced, and my kids hate strangers so wonā€™t go anywhere near him.

• Heart
Why do my kids hate me šŸ˜­ and why do they always need me when I sit my arse down to eat?
KW is at work. I havenā€™t eaten in hours. Kids (not baby) are upstairs. Kid and toddler come down. Kid holding my no sweat roll on. Toddler has rolled it on his face, brothers face and sisters face. Guess no one in this house will have a sweaty forehead for a week šŸ« 
Had to put the baby down to wash toddler. Heā€™s screaming, toddlers screaming and Iā€™m hangry šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ this is why I hate this time of day. They all gang up on me

• Haha
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
She does and then Iā€™ll move to put her in her cot or Moses basket and then sheā€™ll start shouting.

I am just so jealous of people who just know their baby will sleep for x amount of hours so they can prepare dinner or do some laundry.

If she napped reliably too, my husband would be able to have her in his office for chunks of the day too so I could do some sorting out or have some downtime. he is ā€˜the bossā€™ so can get away with her snoozing on his work time.

I feel like Iā€™m in a hostage situation

sheā€™s 9 weeks old today.

I have a fabric sling which she likes sometimes, but 9/10 times- the time that she needs it is when it will piss her off.

I have never heard of the witching hourā€¦we have been calling it ā€˜party timeā€™ in our house

bleeping terrible party though, frankly
Honestly I think your baby is far more ā€˜normalā€™ (maybe I should say common not normal?) than the idea of popping them in a basket and leaving them to it. I bet if we took a thread poll, loads of us contact nap, and have to cosleep at night too as babies just donā€™t like to sleep alone. Theyā€™re only small once, forget about the sorting out for now, and snuggle down on the sofa with some terrible tv instead

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.