New baby and post birth advice #28 being a mum is the best present I could have ever wished for

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just put baby girl in 3-6m baby grow 😭 although her 0-3 baby grows seemed snug I almost expected the 3-6 to be too big🤣. She’s my third and final baby I don’t want all these things to go so fast 🥺.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
She's copying toddler me and no amount of cups make her want to take water 🤣
We managed about 20mls from her doidy cup this afternoon until she thought nah and threw it at her older brother🙈
Decided to trust ToddlerMe with his doidy on his tray a few times this week, just a wee teeny bit of water in the cup, as he is plenty old enough now to drink alone, and all the others would have done by this age. Well, he certainly CAN when he wants to, but he generally just pours it on his head, on his tray, over the edge. A few times he’s decided to try and drink from the top edge so just tips it all down his top. Then chucks the cup. So much fun with these kids 🤯

I am feeling so lost and down with baby's sleep. So he slept brilliantly as a newborn, napped well anywhere and everywhere, from about 3 weeks old he was only waking like once in the night and then once at about 5-6am for feeds and very settled. But for about 2 weeks (since just before 4 months) his sleep has been tit and before that his naps for really difficult, he started only having them on us/in the sling basically since he was about 3 months.

We don't have a routine at all and I think this might be causing some issues but I just don't even know where to start, I'm sure his sister was in a bit of a routine at this age but he is just so all over the place, some days he only does like 3 x 30 minute naps, some days he will nap for like 1.5 hours and then a couple of shorter ones. His bedtime is all over the place and he'll take about an hour to go down then he'll keep waking up every 40 minutes or so through the evening.

He has a lot going on - learning to crawl, he is getting over a nasty cold, he had his 16 week jabs, I think he might be teething a bit too, plus potentially the 4 month regression.

Any advice at all would be welcomed, I am just so tired I can't think straight right now but I feel sure I'm doing something (likely lots of things) wrong!
There is definitely a lot going on there for BabyPower which is probably contributing to the crappy sleep. And - as tit as it is - there quite possibly isn’t much you can do. What I hate seeing (and have done myself over the years) is a mum running herself in to the ground to try and figure out wtf is causing the crappy sleep, and constantly hitting dead ends. I find that makes us so disheartened because we can’t fix the problem (because we dunno what the problem is with the ungrateful sleep thieves!) despite trying so many things.
If it’s possible, maybe spend a few days really observing BabyPower and you may notice a pattern. Not necessarily one ruled by times, but rather he wakes up and then you notice him starting to be really cranky two hours later. If that’s consistent, maybe try for a nap every day an hour and a half after waking - or whatever times you observe him consistently being tired.
They say (whoever they are) that when you get frequent wake ups in the evening it is a sigh of overtiredness, so again some close observation over a few evenings to see how long after the last nap he can go before getting too tired.
It is sooooo bloody hard trying to meet a baby’s sleep needs and needs of older kids. Even now at 15.5months ToddlerMe still mostly naps in the sling because that’s the only way I can ensure he gets his sleep needs met, and I can somewhat meet the needs of my other kids too.

But, as you know yourself, their sleep needs change so frequently in the first year, that by the time you figure out something that works this week, next week will be here and it will all go tits up again. It sounds to me like you aren’t doing anything wrong at all, in fact I don’t even think there is a right or wrong. I think we are all just doing our best to try and figure it out and sometimes we just can’t.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Decided to trust ToddlerMe with his doidy on his tray a few times this week, just a wee teeny bit of water in the cup, as he is plenty old enough now to drink alone, and all the others would have done by this age. Well, he certainly CAN when he wants to, but he generally just pours it on his head, on his tray, over the edge. A few times he’s decided to try and drink from the top edge so just tips it all down his top. Then chucks the cup. So much fun with these kids 🤯

There is definitely a lot going on there for BabyPower which is probably contributing to the crappy sleep. And - as tit as it is - there quite possibly isn’t much you can do. What I hate seeing (and have done myself over the years) is a mum running herself in to the ground to try and figure out wtf is causing the crappy sleep, and constantly hitting dead ends. I find that makes us so disheartened because we can’t fix the problem (because we dunno what the problem is with the ungrateful sleep thieves!) despite trying so many things.
If it’s possible, maybe spend a few days really observing BabyPower and you may notice a pattern. Not necessarily one ruled by times, but rather he wakes up and then you notice him starting to be really cranky two hours later. If that’s consistent, maybe try for a nap every day an hour and a half after waking - or whatever times you observe him consistently being tired.
They say (whoever they are) that when you get frequent wake ups in the evening it is a sigh of overtiredness, so again some close observation over a few evenings to see how long after the last nap he can go before getting too tired.
It is sooooo bloody hard trying to meet a baby’s sleep needs and needs of older kids. Even now at 15.5months ToddlerMe still mostly naps in the sling because that’s the only way I can ensure he gets his sleep needs met, and I can somewhat meet the needs of my other kids too.

But, as you know yourself, their sleep needs change so frequently in the first year, that by the time you figure out something that works this week, next week will be here and it will all go tits up again. It sounds to me like you aren’t doing anything wrong at all, in fact I don’t even think there is a right or wrong. I think we are all just doing our best to try and figure it out and sometimes we just can’t.
I’ve definitely found the sleep element the hardest part of looking after two kids. When they are both awake and in a good mood it’s fairly easy, it’s trying to accommodate naps for the baby (who feeds to sleep for like half an hour before she will be put down, and only in a darkened room with zero distractions) whilst trying to supervise the older child who wants to join in/stay with me/poke the baby that I find impossible! It would be so much easier if she could be put down in the cot awake and just left for a couple of hours (oh sounds dreamy 🤣) but that’s not what is on the cards for us. I think it will be easier in the toddler years where she only needs one nap or drops it, with my first I clung onto that nap for dear life as the only break I could get, now I never get a break ever so she may as well drop them now 😂

Reactions: 4
💕 you lot are so lovely, it really helps to hear I'm not alone with it! He just did a nearly 3 hour stretch in his cot which, while still not amazing, is the best he's managed for ages so I've actually got some sleep!

@Definitelyme you're so right about figuring it out then them totally changing a few days later, I just need to remind myself of that!

• Heart
Hello lovely mummies!!
I’ve just found this thread … I have a lovely little almost 10 month old … and he is currently the biggest sleep thief 😭😭😭😅 he slept through for about 2 months and it feels like as soon as I started weaning him, he can no longer go a full night without a bottle.. but won’t take bottles in the daytime properly .. is this a thing?!?!
There’s also been a lot of other things going on, learning to crawl and now pulling himself up on anything he can find! And I think some top teeth are coming through (which definitely feel worse than the bottoms) … we are also in the process of moving house and currently staying with a friend.. so baby is back sharing a room with us, so I feel like I do jump to him too quickly at every little whimper when he could possibly settle himself, but I worry about waking my partner when he has to work!

oh gosh! I’m sorry this turned out to be a much longer post than I anticipated! I just wanted to say hi really!! 👋🏼 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
So many posts about sleep it seems lately. Clearly from the time I’m posting you can see we have not cracked sleep with Baby tree but I’ll try and offer my advice as a mum of two very crap sleepers.
I agree with @Definitelyme that just watching your young baby quite closely can really help you get into a bit of a rhythm. I found focusing on a rhythm rather than a routine when they are young works much better so offering a nap every 90 mins of awake time or so. That way you don’t drive yourself mad if they nap for 30 mins sometimes and 90 mins the next day.

Hello lovely mummies!!
I’ve just found this thread … I have a lovely little almost 10 month old … and he is currently the biggest sleep thief 😭😭😭😅 he slept through for about 2 months and it feels like as soon as I started weaning him, he can no longer go a full night without a bottle.. but won’t take bottles in the daytime properly .. is this a thing?!?!
There’s also been a lot of other things going on, learning to crawl and now pulling himself up on anything he can find! And I think some top teeth are coming through (which definitely feel worse than the bottoms) … we are also in the process of moving house and currently staying with a friend.. so baby is back sharing a room with us, so I feel like I do jump to him too quickly at every little whimper when he could possibly settle himself, but I worry about waking my partner when he has to work!

oh gosh! I’m sorry this turned out to be a much longer post than I anticipated! I just wanted to say hi really!! 👋🏼 😂
Hi, welcome! I think around 10 months is often a really tough time for sleep for all the reasons you’ve listed so you definitely aren’t alone! I think it’s really hard when they have slept well previously and then it all goes to tit, it makes it feel like you should be able to do something to ‘fix it’ so totally sympathise. I think with the bottles, that’s called reverse cycling, or at least it is with breastfed babies but assume it’s the same with bottles. Basically when they don’t take as much milk in the day, whether that’s because they are eating or too busy exploring etc some babies then make up for it at night.

• Heart
So many posts about sleep it seems lately. Clearly from the time I’m posting you can see we have not cracked sleep with Baby tree but I’ll try and offer my advice as a mum of two very crap sleepers.
I agree with @Definitelyme that just watching your young baby quite closely can really help you get into a bit of a rhythm. I found focusing on a rhythm rather than a routine when they are young works much better so offering a nap every 90 mins of awake time or so. That way you don’t drive yourself mad if they nap for 30 mins sometimes and 90 mins the next day.

Hi, welcome! I think around 10 months is often a really tough time for sleep for all the reasons you’ve listed so you definitely aren’t alone! I think it’s really hard when they have slept well previously and then it all goes to tit, it makes it feel like you should be able to do something to ‘fix it’ so totally sympathise. I think with the bottles, that’s called reverse cycling, or at least it is with breastfed babies but assume it’s the same with bottles. Basically when they don’t take as much milk in the day, whether that’s because they are eating or too busy exploring etc some babies then make up for it at night.
Thank you! I definitely agree that is harder when they have previously slept through! … I also remembered it was also around the time we were transitioning from 3 naps to 2 .. which didn’t help! … I’m planning to spend this week mainly trying out “nap gaps” again and trying to get that right and see how we go! … I offer milk throughout the day to try and combat the overnight feed but he’s just not bothered!! Sorry to hear you are having a tough time with sleep too!
We are currently 3 hours into a 7 hour drive back up to Scotland … we left at 3am and of course he had his best nights sleep yet 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you! I definitely agree that is harder when they have previously slept through! … I also remembered it was also around the time we were transitioning from 3 naps to 2 .. which didn’t help! … I’m planning to spend this week mainly trying out “nap gaps” again and trying to get that right and see how we go! … I offer milk throughout the day to try and combat the overnight feed but he’s just not bothered!! Sorry to hear you are having a tough time with sleep too!
We are currently 3 hours into a 7 hour drive back up to Scotland … we left at 3am and of course he had his best nights sleep yet 😂😂
I had a baby that slept through and everything hit the fan at 6 months. I was feeding through the night, co sleeping, bouncing just to settle her. To get off the bottles I started with warm water first then offered water, I wouldn’t offer her any milk now she’s 11m.
No advice on the sleep as I’m clearly up before 6am 🤣 and this is me cutting her day naps to literally one hour and an 8pm bedtime 🥱

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I had a baby that slept through and everything hit the fan at 6 months. I was feeding through the night, co sleeping, bouncing just to settle her. To get off the bottles I started with warm water first then offered water, I wouldn’t offer her any milk now she’s 11m.
No advice on the sleep as I’m clearly up before 6am 🤣 and this is me cutting her day naps to literally one hour and an 8pm bedtime 🥱
😂😂 whyyy does it all change!! I feel like I’m doing the same!! Maybe I can try water and see how he goes with that!! I did worry that I was giving in to the easy option by feeding in the night, but literally nothing else will settle him and he doesn’t even want to be rocked to sleep by me any more 😭😭 maybe it’s trust the action of the sucking and swallowing something that will help calm him though!! Ooh they are just determined to keep us in zombie mode aren’t they!!

Thank you, she’s been down since 7pm without a murmur and previously she would have woke a few times by now. I bet I’ll wake her when I head up to bed 😂
Yer, that’s what kept happening to us. I love getting into bed and watching tv, but it kept waking baby up. Now he’s in his own room, he sleeps much better and not disturbed

Reactions: 1
Has anyones little ones had a cough for longer than 6 weeks? Baby sailor has had a cough for around 7 or 8 weeks now. He’s had 2 lots of different antibiotics and we’ve been told to give him antihistamines at night but it’s not shifting. The doctors seem to not want to know? But I’m a bit concerned as it gets slightly better then x10 worse. It’s very chesty. He projectile voms about 2/7 of his feeds every day (which is getting v old) and obviously where he’s bunged up is struggling a bit with solids. It sounds like we have a pug and not a baby 😂

Middle sailor gets viral wheeze which I’ve told them but the docs are refusing to give him a spacer for some reason 🙃

• Heart
  • Sad
Baby woke up at some point last night. He woke me up on the monitor. MIL was in there getting him back to sleep. I feel a bit weird, as I don’t think I’d do that. I know there are good intentions. She didn’t even know I was there. Then I worried about how long he was crying for and I slept through 😭 bloody babies!!!

Has anyones little ones had a cough for longer than 6 weeks? Baby sailor has had a cough for around 7 or 8 weeks now. He’s had 2 lots of different antibiotics and we’ve been told to give him antihistamines at night but it’s not shifting. The doctors seem to not want to know? But I’m a bit concerned as it gets slightly better then x10 worse. It’s very chesty. He projectile voms about 2/7 of his feeds every day (which is getting v old) and obviously where he’s bunged up is struggling a bit with solids. It sounds like we have a pug and not a baby 😂

Middle sailor gets viral wheeze which I’ve told them but the docs are refusing to give him a spacer for some reason 🙃
You've just described Twin 1, I think I mentioned previously our GP diagnosed PBB, she said it's rare for a GP to know about it (funnily enough the next GP we saw said she was talking sh*t, but the pediatrician agreed with the first GP)
You're entitled to ask the GP for a referral to a pediatrician if you feel it needs looking into a bit more for both baby & toddler sailor, we've got a spacer now for twin 1 & remember having the same fight for the 9 year old we didn't get a spacer till he was 6 & it was always passed off as a viral wheeze.

Is baby sailor bringing up mucus when he voms?

• Heart

Yep, we basically get ignored because they say there’s nothing on her lungs and she’s not got a crackly chest but she has regular coughing fits at night (and during the day), so we’ve tried antihistamines which haven’t really worked. They think it’s like a nasal mucous drip, so I’ve been keeping tabs for a month but am going to go back and kick off soon because it’s not getting better. We’ve said before it sounds like a little pug follows us around the house haha, but because whenever she’s seen a doctor they basically think we’re massively exaggerating

• Heart
You've just described Twin 1, I think I mentioned previously our GP diagnosed PBB, she said it's rare for a GP to know about it (funnily enough the next GP we saw said she was talking sh*t, but the pediatrician agreed with the first GP)
You're entitled to ask the GP for a referral to a pediatrician if you feel it needs looking into a bit more for both baby & toddler sailor, we've got a spacer now for twin 1 & remember having the same fight for the 9 year old we didn't get a spacer till he was 6 & it was always passed off as a viral wheeze.

Is baby sailor bringing up mucus when he voms?
This is really interesting. Baby Runner had a constant cough / wheeze for months and the GP said it was just long covid 🙄

This is really interesting. Baby Runner had a constant cough / wheeze for months and the GP said it was just long covid 🙄
We had it blamed on covid, then her being premature then we finally saw a lovely lady GP who had a baby around the same age as the twins and her daughter had just been diagnosed with it too! We were given antibiotics and told to come back in 10 days which we did, the next GP we saw didn't even listen to her chest and just said it was because she had covid and was born with respiratory distress so I rang our pediatrician she saw her arranged more antibiotics then an xray once the second course was finished and confirmed it was PBB and gave us a spacer to clear the last of the mucus and open her up a bit more!
It's so crazy how they all sing from different hymn sheets

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.