New baby and post birth advice #28 being a mum is the best present I could have ever wished for

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Aww ☹ I hope Thursday goes well for you both. Sorry I’m not filling you with positivity. She is fine when she’s there she’s just stressy at home bless her. It’s new to every one x
I hated it all before that don’t worry! Honestly she will settle down but emotions are high with you returning to work (rightly so) and she’s still getting used to it. She should get into a little flow within a couple of weeks ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Officially the advise is to be in the room with then for all sleep until they are 6 months old. But I think that's wildly unrealistic, we started leaving the room when baby was about 11 weeks (overdue, quite a big baby, no known health issues) and just kept the monitor on and went and checked on him regularly. We did the same with our daughter.

It's whatever you feel comfortable with really but just know you're not alone in wanting a bit of an evening!
Glad you've said this as I do the same with my baby who is 14 weeks. He usually wants to be asleep by about 7pm, won't nap downstairs unless on me, and some weeks my KW isn't home from work til 10pm. If I stayed with baby all evening I wouldn't have dinner or get any tidying up done 😬

Reactions: 2
Random question. Because I don't remember much from the boy, but could the fact that the girls now have their own beds of caused T2 some stress? And that's why she won't eat?
Abit like when you change a room round, it can sometimes cause anxiety in a cat?
I'm aware I'm comparing my daughter to a cat here but my brains gone off on a tangent😂.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
So.. back to work for me tomorrow after being off for three weeks.
I feel more anxious, stressed and tired than three weeks ago. Absolutely hating the idea of going back 😭 So much has happened, it feels like I've been away for months, but on the other hand I didn't recuperate at all.

Kiiiinda glad Kitten is going back to daycare though, because three weeks of undivided attention has made her very needy 😅 She also loved going there, so that helps (for anyone with daycare/nursery issues and stress: it does get better!).
Bit worried about drop off tomorrow though, hope she will still recognize the daycare lady and not cry. She's picked up a bit of seperation anxiety 😬

MrCat finally got me some nice birthday gifts btw and we went to the cat café in our city, so that was really nice. And overdue 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Random question. Because I don't remember much from the boy, but could the fact that the girls now have their own beds of caused T2 some stress? And that's why she won't eat?
Abit like when you change a room round, it can sometimes cause anxiety in a cat?
I'm aware I'm comparing my daughter to a cat here but my brains gone off on a tangent😂.
Uh not sure on the cat part to be honest 🤣
But that does sound totally plausible. She’s used to sleeping with her buddy, so the fact she isn’t any more may be a stressor for her. The only way to find out would be to put them back together again though, surely? Which may then disrupt T1?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I feel more anxious, stressed and tired than three weeks ago. Absolutely hating the idea of going back 😭 So much has happened, it feels like I've been away for months, but on the other hand I didn't recuperate at all.

Kiiiinda glad Kitten is going back to daycare though, because three weeks of undivided attention has made her very needy 😅 She also loved going there, so that helps (for anyone with daycare/nursery issues and stress: it does get better!).
Bit worried about drop off tomorrow though, hope she will still recognize the daycare lady and not cry. She's picked up a bit of seperation anxiety 😬

MrCat finally got me some nice birthday gifts btw and we went to the cat café in our city, so that was really nice. And overdue 😅
Good luck tomorrow ❤

• Heart

I love that you, the stretched out-ish feline, went to a cat cafe, that’s perfect 👌🏻👌🏻🤣
It’s been a very emotional few weeks, it’s no wonder you feel wrung out from it. Maybe getting back to routine will actually help?

• Heart
Uh not sure on the cat part to be honest 🤣
But that does sound totally plausible. She’s used to sleeping with her buddy, so the fact she isn’t any more may be a stressor for her. The only way to find out would be to put them back together again though, surely? Which may then disrupt T1?
That's my thinking they've both slept much better the past two nights despite twin 2 being her usual strange self. I'm hoping a few more nights and she'll be used to it 🤞🏻
Shes ate great again today but she's not taken much milk again, which I can live with at the moment but in an ideal world she needs to get back on it so I can give her meds properly rather than 70% ending up in her neck folds from syringing her🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I love that you, the stretched out-ish feline, went to a cat cafe, that’s perfect 👌🏻👌🏻🤣
It’s been a very emotional few weeks, it’s no wonder you feel wrung out from it. Maybe getting back to routine will actually help?
I really am a crazy cat lady, if it wasn't for MrCat and my actual cat hating other cats with a passion, I'd have a house full 😆

Thanks! (You too I'mThankyou), I'm hoping routine helps.
We're also planning to go on holiday later this year when everything has hopefully settled down a little 🤞

Reactions: 4
That's my thinking they've both slept much better the past two nights despite twin 2 being her usual strange self. I'm hoping a few more nights and she'll be used to it 🤞🏻
Shes ate great again today but she's not taken much milk again, which I can live with at the moment but in an ideal world she needs to get back on it so I can give her meds properly rather than 70% ending up in her neck folds from syringing her🤣
Hopefully as the change becomes normal for her she will settle down and stop being such a rascal about it! Is she taking any water?

Hopefully as the change becomes normal for her she will settle down and stop being such a rascal about it! Is she taking any water?
She's copying toddler me and no amount of cups make her want to take water 🤣
We managed about 20mls from her doidy cup this afternoon until she thought nah and threw it at her older brother🙈

• Haha
What age can I leave BabyShark upstairs in her crib? Me and MrShark like to watch tv on an evening and we are disturbing her (plus I have a mega weak bladder and get up 271761 times before actually going to bed to have a wee or get a drink because breastfeeding thirst).
I saw something on a group that said BabyShark is in ‘the most common age to pass away from sids’ so now I don’t want to leave her but the poor thing can’t sleep because we disturb her so much. She’s nearly 4 months, wasn’t prem and was a good birth weight. She’s about 14lb now I think.
Baby was about 3/4 months. Kept the monitor on to watch him. I think it’s more for the whole night, not just for a few hours x

Baby was about 3/4 months. Kept the monitor on to watch him. I think it’s more for the whole night, not just for a few hours x
Thank you, she’s been down since 7pm without a murmur and previously she would have woke a few times by now. I bet I’ll wake her when I head up to bed 😂

Officially the advise is to be in the room with then for all sleep until they are 6 months old. But I think that's wildly unrealistic, we started leaving the room when baby was about 11 weeks (overdue, quite a big baby, no known health issues) and just kept the monitor on and went and checked on him regularly. We did the same with our daughter.

It's whatever you feel comfortable with really but just know you're not alone in wanting a bit of an evening!
We just started doing this at almost 11 weeks!

I am feeling so lost and down with baby's sleep. So he slept brilliantly as a newborn, napped well anywhere and everywhere, from about 3 weeks old he was only waking like once in the night and then once at about 5-6am for feeds and very settled. But for about 2 weeks (since just before 4 months) his sleep has been tit and before that his naps for really difficult, he started only having them on us/in the sling basically since he was about 3 months.

We don't have a routine at all and I think this might be causing some issues but I just don't even know where to start, I'm sure his sister was in a bit of a routine at this age but he is just so all over the place, some days he only does like 3 x 30 minute naps, some days he will nap for like 1.5 hours and then a couple of shorter ones. His bedtime is all over the place and he'll take about an hour to go down then he'll keep waking up every 40 minutes or so through the evening.

He has a lot going on - learning to crawl, he is getting over a nasty cold, he had his 16 week jabs, I think he might be teething a bit too, plus potentially the 4 month regression.

Any advice at all would be welcomed, I am just so tired I can't think straight right now but I feel sure I'm doing something (likely lots of things) wrong!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I am feeling so lost and down with baby's sleep. So he slept brilliantly as a newborn, napped well anywhere and everywhere, from about 3 weeks old he was only waking like once in the night and then once at about 5-6am for feeds and very settled. But for about 2 weeks (since just before 4 months) his sleep has been tit and before that his naps for really difficult, he started only having them on us/in the sling basically since he was about 3 months.

We don't have a routine at all and I think this might be causing some issues but I just don't even know where to start, I'm sure his sister was in a bit of a routine at this age but he is just so all over the place, some days he only does like 3 x 30 minute naps, some days he will nap for like 1.5 hours and then a couple of shorter ones. His bedtime is all over the place and he'll take about an hour to go down then he'll keep waking up every 40 minutes or so through the evening.

He has a lot going on - learning to crawl, he is getting over a nasty cold, he had his 16 week jabs, I think he might be teething a bit too, plus potentially the 4 month regression.

Any advice at all would be welcomed, I am just so tired I can't think straight right now but I feel sure I'm doing something (likely lots of things) wrong!
BabyShark is 4 months on the 19th. Some days she barely naps at all, and yesterday she napped for 4 solid hours! Lots of chewing of the hands here as well. She’s sort of in a routine as in she likes to be in her sleeping bag between 6.30/7pm. But she has to mostly go along with her older siblings so no chance of a set in stone routine with her.
Sending all the sleep dust your way, I remember with older ones the sleep regression started a couple of weeks before 4 months !
I find this one of the toughest ages, they get so frustrated too with not being able to do everything their older siblings do 😩

• Heart
BabyShark is 4 months on the 19th. Some days she barely naps at all, and yesterday she napped for 4 solid hours! Lots of chewing of the hands here as well. She’s sort of in a routine as in she likes to be in her sleeping bag between 6.30/7pm. But she has to mostly go along with her older siblings so no chance of a set in stone routine with her.
Sending all the sleep dust your way, I remember with older ones the sleep regression started a couple of weeks before 4 months !
I find this one of the toughest ages, they get so frustrated too with not being able to do everything their older siblings do 😩
Yeah I think that's a big struggle for me, how much we are ruled by the toddler's routine! Like he'll go to sleep on me and she'll urgently need me to do something, she won't watch TV on her own or play independently for long so it's hard for me to leave the room to settle him to sleep.

I am trying to stay calm about it all and just go with the flow but I am just so tired I think it's all caught up with me! Hopefully it'll settle down soon.

• Heart

Honestly as you’ll see from my previous whiny posts, I don’t have a lot of advice - but I do think m that some babies struggle more at night with teething and developmental things have more of an impact. We tried various routines and it just made no odds, try not to beat yourself up because I’n certain it’s nothing you’re doing wrong!!

just doing a bit of emotional dumping, don’t mind me…

Just sat on my bed having a little cry. Not sure why but I just feel sad today. I’m so tired and burned out, I woke up this morning thinking how much I’d love to just have a day off - I wish I had someone close by I could leave her with for a few hours so I could get some headspace. She’s pretty chill compared to a lot of babies but I just need to switch my brain off for a bit.I don’t think I was prepared for how exhausting it is just constantly being ‘on’ 24 hours a day.
Could getting a babysitter for a few hours one morning or afternoon help? I know it’s an extravagance but it’s something I’ve been considering looking into doing every now and then as a little break as I don’t otherwise have anyone close by to help out either.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.