New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Stuff like this really worries me šŸ˜ž I struggled with eating for almost half my life and Iā€™m so conscious of having a positive normal attitude, especially infront of my boy when he grows up. My in laws have made a couple of comments about his weight infront of him and itā€™s really pissed me off to the point where I actually tell them. Obviously I know he doesnā€™t understand but I donā€™t want them to think itā€™s ok. Heā€™s on the 98th centile but totally in proportion - ironic because my MIL is a fat duck.
This is the same as my daughter.
I think about it constantly.
My Mum always 'jomingly' calls her fat or even comments on her own weight saying "I'm too fat for this.. I'm too fat for that" and I hate it.

My daughter, even though she was born on the 98th percentile, she still is. But that makes her 'obese' on the NHS and I hate the thought of her being classed as obese.
It isn't even like she's noticibly overweight either. She's 3 and a half and most of her trousers in 3-4 are too big for her still!
I don't understand it!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Ah the joys of body image issues when being pregnant/after having a baby.
My mum is already having a go about me getting "back on track", I gave birth 9 days ago and she's already talking about exercise, the gym, eating healthy etc.
In all honesty I've barely been able to spend more than 10 minutes eating or cooking since Thomas was born.
I cried a lot during the pregnancy thinking mt partner would leave me after my body changes, and he told me 10000 times I was being silly and honestly I was because he tells me he loves me all the time and is just happy our little boy is here safely.
When it comes to the body image side of things just remember your body is doing something incredible and no matter what it has to do, stretching and growing etc, its all for an amazing reason

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My mum is already having a go about me getting "back on track", I gave birth 9 days ago and she's already talking about exercise, the gym, eating healthy etc.
In all honesty I've barely been able to spend more than 10 minutes eating or cooking since Thomas was born.
I cried a lot during the pregnancy thinking mt partner would leave me after my body changes, and he told me 10000 times I was being silly and honestly I was because he tells me he loves me all the time and is just happy our little boy is here safely.
When it comes to the body image side of things just remember your body is doing something incredible and no matter what it has to do, stretching and growing etc, its all for an amazing reason
Oh wow, has your mum forgotten youā€™ve just been pregnant for the last 9 months, nurturing your baby and yourself? Iā€™m sorry that sheā€™s said those things to you, could your partner have a word with her at all?

This is the same as my daughter.
I think about it constantly.
My Mum always 'jomingly' calls her fat or even comments on her own weight saying "I'm too fat for this.. I'm too fat for that" and I hate it.

My daughter, even though she was born on the 98th percentile, she still is. But that makes her 'obese' on the NHS and I hate the thought of her being classed as obese.
It isn't even like she's noticibly overweight either. She's 3 and a half and most of her trousers in 3-4 are too big for her still!
I don't understand it!
You mean your mum calls your daughter fat? I would have flattened her šŸ˜” And if she fits clothing for her age surely she is just perfect?! I hate using the centile lines for weight, because someone is always at the top, and then some wee soul will be at the bottom and their parents will be hounded about why they are so small. The lucky 50-75 group get off lightly!

I think the older generation (our parents lot) do throw the word fat round in such a negative way, and dwell on it a lot. Iā€™ve noticed where my husband is from that itā€™s a big thing there for the next generation up to be absolutely horrendous about calling people fat, and implying that means they are a waste of space. It really, really pisses me off, and I donā€™t want my kids hearing any of that at all.

My daughter has made a few comments on her weight recently, and she is perfect for her age and height, and itā€™s really spurred me on to reading some more so o can do my best for the kids trying to help them through all this stuff. This is the first parenting book Iā€™ve ever read!

Away on, your mum needs a healthy dose of reality. Was she ā€œback on trackā€ at 9 days pp? Bet not!

Thatā€™s true thank you, just feels such a teeny amount šŸ˜£ im just scared im going to big forever I know thatā€™s silly I got back down last time but something feels different this time.
I had baby number 3 in January, my pre pregnancy weight was 2 stone over what it should have been. After the baby was born I was the heaviest Iā€™ve ever been in my life . I remember crying to my mum saying Iā€™m not gonna be able to lose such a big amount.

But once I started something just clicked. Once you start seeing the number on the scales go down and then you start to see a change it spurs you on.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This is something Iā€™m really trying to be aware of. Iā€™ve told both sides of the family weā€™re not having ā€˜goodā€™ and ā€˜badā€™ food, no ā€˜Iā€™ve been good because I had a saladā€™ or ā€˜Iā€™ve been naughty having ice creamā€™. Weā€™re not having food linked to behaviour like ā€˜you did well, weā€™ll have a McDonaldā€™sā€™ or ā€˜no chocolate because you were rudeā€™. No placating with food and trying to avoid the words fat and greedy. Iā€™m finding it really hard to change my vocabulary and attitude and stick to my own rules though. How does everyone else go about it?

I didnā€™t gain much excess in pregnancy and it all dropped off me on the first weeks but in the early days struggling with breast feeding and the way it makes you ravenous Iā€™ve gained it back. I do find it depressing because I canā€™t even say it was pregnancy, i was eating 3-4 chocolate bars a day, any time of day or night. Iā€™ve never even wanted to eat like that before. I wish I could go back and change it because losing it is so hard and it was just greed that caused me to gain it ā˜¹

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Oh wow, has your mum forgotten youā€™ve just been pregnant for the last 9 months, nurturing your baby and yourself? Iā€™m sorry that sheā€™s said those things to you, could your partner have a word with her at all?
My partner has taken her to the side and said that he heard the midwife say to me takes at least 9 months for your body to go back to normal and then he said he doesn't care at all how I look.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
This is something Iā€™m really trying to be aware of. Iā€™ve told both sides of the family weā€™re not having ā€˜goodā€™ and ā€˜badā€™ food, no ā€˜Iā€™ve been good because I had a saladā€™ or ā€˜Iā€™ve been naughty having ice creamā€™. Weā€™re not having food linked to behaviour like ā€˜you did well, weā€™ll have a McDonaldā€™sā€™ or ā€˜no chocolate because you were rudeā€™. No placating with food and trying to avoid the words fat and greedy. Iā€™m finding it really hard to change my vocabulary and attitude and stick to my own rules though. How does everyone else go about it?
This is what Iā€™m going to try to do, I follow a childrenā€™s nutritionist on IG who advocates stuff like this: https://instagram.com/family.snack.nutritionist?utm_medium=copy_link

Iā€™m now really conscious of not projecting any of my thoughts and feelings re: body image around my son as I donā€™t want it to become an issue for him.

It is SO hard though, I have body dysmorphia and have had therapy for it (unsuccessfully!). Gaining weight and losing it was my biggest fear in pregnancy, Iā€™ve only gained a bit of podge on my belly but itā€™s so depressing. Iā€™ve been going back to the gym and itā€™s all my mind can focus on, and I constantly ask my partner if I look fat. ā˜¹

• Heart

I didnā€™t gain much excess in pregnancy and it all dropped off me on the first weeks but in the early days struggling with breast feeding and the way it makes you ravenous Iā€™ve gained it back. I do find it depressing because I canā€™t even say it was pregnancy, i was eating 3-4 chocolate bars a day, any time of day or night. Iā€™ve never even wanted to eat like that before. I wish I could go back and change it because losing it is so hard and it was just greed that caused me to gain it ā˜¹
Like @moimoi I also follow family snack nutritionist, and she has great info about reframing how you think and speak about food. Once you get started, it gets easier, andmore natural.

My problem is with school. They still bang on about healthy and unhealthy foods, you have to eat your sandwiches before you eatXYZ in your lunchbox etc. So of course hearing that every day somewhat counteracts what they hear at home. But I always tell them ā€œnobody would be healthy only eating apples!ā€ We are really big on balance in our house, and really try not to label food with anything but itā€™s name.

Another great tip if to serve dessert with the main portion of the meal. We donā€™t always have dessert, and a lot of time itā€™s just fruit, but we always serve it all together. So for example last night we had cherries for dessert, but my youngest ate hers before her pasta. We would do the same with sweets, cake etc.

ETA: one thing the body happy kids books said which I liked is that some bodies ARE fatter than others, and we should try and use fat in the same way we use tall/short and other descriptors, as not using it implies fat is inherently bad, whereas fat is much needed in the body.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Ladies do any of you have any tips on how to help constipation? My little one is 11 days old and think sheā€™s struggling with it šŸ™ Iā€™ve tried bicycle legs and tummy massage but doesnā€™t seem to have helped!

Ladies do any of you have any tips on how to help constipation? My little one is 11 days old and think sheā€™s struggling with it šŸ™ Iā€™ve tried bicycle legs and tummy massage but doesnā€™t seem to have helped!
Has she pooped in the last few days? Is she breast or formula fed?
I read something recently about babies needing to squirm and grunt and groan, almost seeming like they are in pain, and that itā€™s normal but often mistaken for constipation in the early days. Basically their wee digestive system isnā€™t developed enough to just poop so they have to go through the whole rigmarole of grunts and squirms to get things moving. I found it really interesting as I noticed my latest baby definitely very squirmy and seemed uncomfortable in the early weeks.

Reactions: 1
My second had it quite bad where it was literally rock solid pellets coming out! She was crying in pain.

When she does go, is it solid?
After a while, their digestive system slows down a bit and they(formula fed) tend to go every couple of days.
If it's still soft when they go, it isn't usually a worry

Has she pooped in the last few days? Is she breast or formula fed?
I read something recently about babies needing to squirm and grunt and groan, almost seeming like they are in pain, and that itā€™s normal but often mistaken for constipation in the early days. Basically their wee digestive system isnā€™t developed enough to just poop so they have to go through the whole rigmarole of grunts and squirms to get things moving. I found it really interesting as I noticed my latest baby definitely very squirmy and seemed uncomfortable in the early weeks.
She is formula fed and has pooped this morning. Thatā€™s really interesting! She is doing exactly what you said, grunting and squirming but also crying and throwing her arms everywhere šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

My second had it quite bad where it was literally rock solid pellets coming out! She was crying in pain.

When she does go, is it solid?
After a while, their digestive system slows down a bit and they(formula fed) tend to go every couple of days.
If it's still soft when they go, it isn't usually a worry
Her poo has been quite solid this last week but then sometimes itā€™s softer. Sheā€™s been straining and grunting for the last half an hour but still no poo šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Last edited:
She is formula fed and has pooped this morning. Thatā€™s really interesting! She is doing exactly what you said, grunting and squirming but also crying and throwing her arms everywhere šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
If she went this morning, assuming it was nice and soft as normal, I would say sheā€™s ok. Apparently the thing I was talking about is called infant dyschezia!

That said, when my son was going through it (heā€™s now out of it, heā€™s 14 weeks and itā€™s been at least a month, probably longer, since he did it) I did bicycle legs too, and actually do it all the time now with him while singing ā€œrow row rowā€ (his legs are the oars šŸ¤£). Tummy time (and tiger in the tree hold when he was very small) definitely help him to get things moving and get things out.

Her poo has been quite solid this last week but then sometimes itā€™s softer. Sheā€™s been straining and grunting for the last half an hour but still no poo šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
The early days are quite funny with all their weird noises and grunts (once youā€™re over that phase you will remember it as cute haha)

Apparently crying is completely normal, helps them push. Its all new sensations to them so it will take a few weeks for them to get used to it.

My daughter would grunt and groan and cry and bring her legs in from 6am and then poo around 11 am.

I would definitely continue with the baby belly massage, and if you look up baby reflexology there is a point that you can press that helps.

I did all of that when my baby was constipated when first on gaviscon, one of them
Worked.

Like @moimoi I also follow family snack nutritionist, and she has great info about reframing how you think and speak about food. Once you get started, it gets easier, andmore natural.

My problem is with school. They still bang on about healthy and unhealthy foods, you have to eat your sandwiches before you eatXYZ in your lunchbox etc. So of course hearing that every day somewhat counteracts what they hear at home. But I always tell them ā€œnobody would be healthy only eating apples!ā€ We are really big on balance in our house, and really try not to label food with anything but itā€™s name.

Another great tip if to serve dessert with the main portion of the meal. We donā€™t always have dessert, and a lot of time itā€™s just fruit, but we always serve it all together. So for example last night we had cherries for dessert, but my youngest ate hers before her pasta. We would do the same with sweets, cake etc.

ETA: one thing the body happy kids books said which I liked is that some bodies ARE fatter than others, and we should try and use fat in the same way we use tall/short and other descriptors, as not using it implies fat is inherently bad, whereas fat is much needed in the body.
I think I might have followed it after I saw you mention it!

• Heart

I love this idea of serving pudding with main, will definitely be trying this!!

It sounds stupid because sheā€™s only a month old but Iā€™m already trying to be really positive about body image and food around her, getting into the habit early šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t want her growing up hearing me complain about my body or associating some foods as ā€œgoodā€ and some as ā€œbadā€.

Reactions: 5
I love this idea of serving pudding with main, will definitely be trying this!!

It sounds stupid because sheā€™s only a month old but Iā€™m already trying to be really positive about body image and food around her, getting into the habit early šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t want her growing up hearing me complain about my body or associating some foods as ā€œgoodā€ and some as ā€œbadā€.
It doesnā€™t sound stupid at all! I think itā€™s fab!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you all for the advice. Iā€™m still unsure if sheā€™s constipated, her poo this morning was formed but not rock solid, just a bit firm :unsure: the only way I managed to settle her last night was lying her on my legs with her legs pushed up towards her chest. Weā€™re seeing the midwife tomorrow so going to mention it to her. Wondering about switching formula to see if that will help, itā€™s all such a guessing game!

It doesnā€™t sound stupid at all! I think itā€™s fab!
Itā€™s kind of weird how after a month of refusing to say anything negative about my body etc, Iā€™m actually feeling more comfortable and confident than before I was pregnant - fake it till you make it I guess! šŸ˜¬ I just really donā€™t want baby girl growing up with the same body image issues that I had, especially when I look back at photos and realise I had nothing to worry about!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.