New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's only 2 weeks but she's been on infacol as the health visitor thought she had colic but this extreme crying only started today šŸ˜­ she's breast fed so maybe something in my diet causing it?!
Not to diagnose but we had symptoms of cows milk protein allergy (CMPA) - I eliminated all cows milk and products containing it and soya also as the two often go hand in hand and it helped. It seems to be very common. Have a read of the symptoms.

My daughter was in agony with wind and would loudly fart up to ten times an hour. I donā€™t know if it was the diet or coincidence that her system matured at the same time but the tummy issues stopped. I reintroduced soya after 3 weeks (itā€™s really hard to avoid) then products containing milk such as chocolate and cheese without incident. Reintroducing milk in cereal and lattes (Iā€™d prob have a pt at least a day) seemed to cause a few issues again so I think she may just have an intolerance at large quantities rather than full on allergy but it was worth doing x

Reactions: 3
@Chickenandgravy sending love mama, hopefully little one has settled a bit now? HeartbreKing not knowing whatā€™s up ā£ Hope youā€™re ok, youā€™ve got this šŸ’ŖšŸ»

• Heart
Reactions: 2
She's only 2 weeks but she's been on infacol as the health visitor thought she had colic but this extreme crying only started today šŸ˜­ she's breast fed so maybe something in my diet causing it?!
A little bit of crying is normal but if itā€™s something that is constant and baby seems in pain then There must be something else, really annoys me when HV and gpā€™s try to pass off everything as colic, they tried that with me and turned out my daughter had reflux, so if you feel something isnā€™t right then youā€™re probably right.

I would definitely try eliminating dairy from
Your diet to see if that helps? I believe CMPA starts showing around this time. What her dirty nappies like?

Also for colic and wind I found dentinox worked much better than infacol for us,

and this might be random, but I would check her toes as I have heard about hairs getting wrapped around their toes causing them a lot of pain.

I really hope you find a solution, i know how hard it is when youā€™re baby is so upset ā¤

A little bit of crying is normal but if itā€™s something that is constant and baby seems in pain then There must be something else, really annoys me when HV and gpā€™s try to pass off everything as colic, they tried that with me and turned out my daughter had reflux, so if you feel something isnā€™t right then youā€™re probably right.

Your diet to see if that helps? I believe CMPA starts showing around this time. What her dirty nappies like?

Also for colic and wind I found dentinox worked much better than infacol for us,

and this might be random, but I would check her toes as I have heard about hairs getting wrapped around their toes causing them a lot of pain.

I really hope you find a solution, i know how hard it is when youā€™re baby is so upset ā¤
Dentinix works 100% better for us too.

Should also add they diagnosed it as colic for her too, which part of it may have been but we also had to change milks as it was also a milk protein allergy!
But they never tell you to look into any of that!
As Pinkii says, they say everything is colic!

@Chickenandgravy sending love mama, hopefully little one has settled a bit now? HeartbreKing not knowing whatā€™s up ā£ Hope youā€™re ok, youā€™ve got this šŸ’ŖšŸ»
Thankfully she settled a bit and went to sleep for a good 4 hours, this is a record for her šŸ¤£ she'd not slept during the day at all though.

I will definitely start eliminating dairy today, I would literally do anything at this point šŸ¤£

Her nappies are quite runny but was told that was normal with breastfed babies as everything just rubs through them

Dentinix works 100% better for us too.

Should also add they diagnosed it as colic for her too, which part of it may have been but we also had to change milks as it was also a milk protein allergy!
But they never tell you to look into any of that!
As Pinkii says, they say everything is colic!
I'll get some of that to try.

I will keep at them if they keep trying to fob me off I think šŸ™„

@Chickenandgravy i wouldnā€™t necessarily say you need to do an elimination diet right now. My second has a full blown CMPA, and it was clear from birth. He screamed every second of every day, his nappies were mucousy, and he was not a happy bunny ever. Now at almost 6 he can tolerate small amounts of dairy, and now even have an ice cream, but still canā€™t have straight up milk. If she was crying just last night like that, it may just have been a bad night for her. Definitely keep an eye on it, of course, but totally eliminating dairy from your diet is a huge pain in the arse, itā€™s in frigging everything šŸ˜© As said above soy allergies often go hand in hand so if you do eliminate you would be best eliminating soy as well, which really will leave you quite restricted at first (itā€™s in bloody everything too!). It also takes up to a few weeks to clear your system totally so isnā€™t an instant fix, sadly
Cutting back may be a start, and maybe you could keep a log of your food vs her behaviour and see if there are any correlations.

Reactions: 6
@Chickenandgravy i wouldnā€™t necessarily say you need to do an elimination diet right now. My second has a full blown CMPA, and it was clear from birth. He screamed every second of every day, his nappies were mucousy, and he was not a happy bunny ever. Now at almost 6 he can tolerate small amounts of dairy, and now even have an ice cream, but still canā€™t have straight up milk. If she was crying just last night like that, it may just have been a bad night for her. Definitely keep an eye on it, of course, but totally eliminating dairy from your diet is a huge pain in the arse, itā€™s in frigging everything šŸ˜© As said above soy allergies often go hand in hand so if you do eliminate you would be best eliminating soy as well, which really will leave you quite restricted at first (itā€™s in bloody everything too!). It also takes up to a few weeks to clear your system totally so isnā€™t an instant fix, sadly
Cutting back may be a start, and maybe you could keep a log of your food vs her behaviour and see if there are any correlations.
I'm already gluten free with a wheat allergy so this would rsstrict my diet even more aswell šŸ˜­.
I'll see what she's like over the next couple of days then, she's defo not got mucosy nappies so that's a plus and so far this morning seems a lot more settled

• Heart
I'm already gluten free with a wheat allergy so this would rsstrict my diet even more aswell šŸ˜­.
I'll see what she's like over the next couple of days then, she's defo not got mucosy nappies so that's a plus and so far this morning seems a lot more settled
Hopefully itā€™s just a ā€œwitching hourā€ my baby had a couple of weeks where heā€™d go nuts between 9pm and midnight and then suddenly it stopped! Pleased she seems more settled this morning

Just a side note, I have a friend who is a dietician and she said a few years ago that some research from Scandinavian countries shows that if you wean with gluten from 24weeks that the incidence of coeliac is lowered. That may be something you want to look in to?
But yes, unless you love a lettuce leaf, I should imagine gluten free, dairy free, soy free isnā€™t much fun at all šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬

Just a side note, I have a friend who is a dietician and she said a few years ago that some research from Scandinavian countries shows that if you wean with gluten from 24weeks that the incidence of coeliac is lowered. That may be something you want to look in to?
But yes, unless you love a lettuce leaf, I should imagine gluten free, dairy free, soy free isnā€™t much fun at all šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬
Will definitely look into this, thank you!

Reactions: 1
Husband has just booked a night away in London in a gorgeous hotel for our anniversary in November and Iā€™m already like šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ does this mean I have to leave my baby? Heā€™s booked it on a free cancellation incase I donā€™t want to at the last minute šŸ¤£

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Husband has just booked a night away in London in a gorgeous hotel for our anniversary in November and Iā€™m already like šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ does this mean I have to leave my baby? Heā€™s booked it on a free cancellation incase I donā€™t want to at the last minute šŸ¤£
Could you/would you take baby with you? At least you have the option to cancel if needed.
I am not comfortable leaving our kids. Apart from the overnights in the hospital when I am having another baby, Iā€™ve only been away 1 night in 8yrs, which was for my much loved uncleā€™s funeral. Itā€™s just not something I feel happy doing with young ones, so Iā€™ve never forced myself to, as I donā€™t see the point in making myself uncomfortable. So definitely play it by ear and if you donā€™t feel ready, donā€™t do it x

Reactions: 4
Could you/would you take baby with you? At least you have the option to cancel if needed.
I am not comfortable leaving our kids. Apart from the overnights in the hospital when I am having another baby, Iā€™ve only been away 1 night in 8yrs, which was for my much loved uncleā€™s funeral. Itā€™s just not something I feel happy doing with young ones, so Iā€™ve never forced myself to, as I donā€™t see the point in making myself uncomfortable. So definitely play it by ear and if you donā€™t feel ready, donā€™t do it x
The thought of taking him Around London would be my idea of hell, I donā€™t like taking him to my local city centre so taking him wouldnā€™t be an option! In all fairness heā€™s not been pushy at all, just thought it would be a nice thing to do, which is totally lovely but I donā€™t know, Iā€™ll see how I feel nearer the time. The only person I trust is my mum as she sees us every week and I feel like I can ring/text her for updates and I know sheā€™ll respect any instructions I have. Only issue is, itā€™s midweek and she will be at work. Iā€™ll sleep on it for a few weeks and see how I feel ā˜ŗ

Reactions: 4
The thought of taking him Around London would be my idea of hell, I donā€™t like taking him to my local city centre so taking him wouldnā€™t be an option! In all fairness heā€™s not been pushy at all, just thought it would be a nice thing to do, which is totally lovely but I donā€™t know, Iā€™ll see how I feel nearer the time. The only person I trust is my mum as she sees us every week and I feel like I can ring/text her for updates and I know sheā€™ll respect any instructions I have. Only issue is, itā€™s midweek and she will be at work. Iā€™ll sleep on it for a few weeks and see how I feel ā˜ŗ
it is a lovely thought from your husband ā¤ He sounds like a good un!

Had an argument with my husband so sulked off upstairs but Iā€™m so hungry I donā€™t want to go down. Petty I know. 3 hours itā€™s taken me to put the baby to bed sheā€™s sucked the life out of me šŸ˜­

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Had an argument with my husband so sulked off upstairs but Iā€™m so hungry I donā€™t want to go down. Petty I know. 3 hours itā€™s taken me to put the baby to bed sheā€™s sucked the life out of me šŸ˜­
Text him your order and tell him youā€™ve been sucked lifeless, and you need the snacks now. Usually after a disagreement my husband and I just ignore it šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬

Yaaay Iā€™ve managed to get onto swimming lessons at the place I wanted to go!

duck, this now means I need to wear a swimming costume šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Does anyone have any recommendations for skin/face care?
I had my baby 5 months ago- which is a long time but also a short time and ever since my face has become incredibly greasy and keeps breaking out in spots, ridiculous amounts. I donā€™t wear make up so itā€™s not that & only ever use simple soap to wash. Any suggestions on what to use on my face to stop spots keep coming back?

Does anyone have any recommendations for skin/face care?
I had my baby 5 months ago- which is a long time but also a short time and ever since my face has become incredibly greasy and keeps breaking out in spots, ridiculous amounts. I donā€™t wear make up so itā€™s not that & only ever use simple soap to wash. Any suggestions on what to use on my face to stop spots keep coming back?
It depends on what your budget is, I really like Kiehls stuff and their cleansers are really good but they are a bit pricier. I use the clinique take the day off balm and then use a cleanser after - I'm using cerave at the moment and my skin seems to like it, really reasonably priced! Mat pay has cut my skincare budget down :ROFLMAO: Then I use a toner and moisturiser. The Inkey List is nice, it's stocked in boots.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.