New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello first time posting in here, not had baby yet so don’t kick me out! Just wondering if you’ve any advice on medicines safe from birth / early on that you recommend I have in just in case of anything? I’m a bit clueless about what might come up and what I might need.
My mum's always bought snuffle babe in the hamper she's given us for both babies it can be used on newborns and was really helpful when my little boy (October baby) had a cold when he was a few weeks old xx

Reactions: 2
Not strictly medicine related, but a baby nail file is a good shout! Ive yet to meet anyone who hasn’t managed to nip baby’s fingers with the stupid baby nail clippers
Oh god, I did this to my boy at 8 weeks old. Still haunts me now

Reactions: 1
Random…. Did any of you use ‘spritz for bits’ by my expert midwife after your birth? Some ppl swear by it. it’s kind of pricey at £20 but if it really helps I’ll give it a go. Xx

Random…. Did any of you use ‘spritz for bits’ by my expert midwife after your birth? Some ppl swear by it. it’s kind of pricey at £20 but if it really helps I’ll give it a go. Xx
I did, I bought it as a bundle and I found it really soothing and helped with swelling and soreness. I sprayed it onto massive maternity pads, that seemed to work best for me 😊

Not strictly medicine related, but a baby nail file is a good shout! Ive yet to meet anyone who hasn’t managed to nip baby’s fingers with the stupid baby nail clippers
Oh my god! I bawled my eyes out when I did it! In a weird way I'm so glad it's not just me that's done it cos no one I know has ever admitted to it before

Reactions: 4
Did anyone have the steroid injection during their pregnancy? I had the two lots recommended on two separate occasions, one at 23 weeks & then again at 35 weeks, the day before he was born.
I was just discussing tonight with my husband how I’m concerned about how our baby was rolling over front to back last week quite happily, now he’s stopped all of a sudden. (He is 5 months & 6 days, born 5 weeks early) Plus I find he is quite unanimated if that makes sense? Like he doesn’t reach out for things yet, or gets overly excited about sounds & colours.
then my husband said ‘the doctors did warn us that the steroid treatment can affect their behaviour & development, but there isn’t many studies on it’
I was like whaaaaaa?!? I must of been so out of it both times when I agreed to have them cause I do not remember them saying this. Obviously I look back and realise that the benefits at the time outweighed the future risks because he definitely wouldn’t be here today had he been born at 23 weeks without the steroids but duck I’ve got a huge amount of guilt weighing on me now because of this. They thought I was in preterm labour at 23 weeks due to a huge bleed & swabs came back positive that my waters had gone, so that’s why they offered it the 1st time, but then it was revealed at 32 weeks they hadn’t gone at all and the swab isn’t 100% accurate.
I had the 2nd dose at 35 weeks ready for his early arrival, but this time I was told if I didn’t have it then my baby would be seriously ill? I was in flight mode both times I think cause of the worry, I didn’t pay attention to the risks.

Is it my fault he is like this? Should I do more to ensure he doesn’t have any learning/development issues? I try so hard with him, with different toys, tummy time several times a day, plenty of forest walks, seeing different people, sensory classes etc. I’m running out of ideas…

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Did anyone have the steroid injection during their pregnancy? I had the two lots recommended on two separate occasions, one at 23 weeks & then again at 35 weeks, the day before he was born.
I was just discussing tonight with my husband how I’m concerned about how our baby was rolling over front to back last week quite happily, now he’s stopped all of a sudden. (He is 5 months & 6 days, born 5 weeks early) Plus I find he is quite unanimated if that makes sense? Like he doesn’t reach out for things yet, or gets overly excited about sounds & colours.
then my husband said ‘the doctors did warn us that the steroid treatment can affect their behaviour & development, but there isn’t many studies on it’
I was like whaaaaaa?!? I must of been so out of it both times when I agreed to have them cause I do not remember them saying this. Obviously I look back and realise that the benefits at the time outweighed the future risks because he definitely wouldn’t be here today had he been born at 23 weeks without the steroids but duck I’ve got a huge amount of guilt weighing on me now because of this. They thought I was in preterm labour at 23 weeks due to a huge bleed & swabs came back positive that my waters had gone, so that’s why they offered it the 1st time, but then it was revealed at 32 weeks they hadn’t gone at all and the swab isn’t 100% accurate.
I had the 2nd dose at 35 weeks ready for his early arrival, but this time I was told if I didn’t have it then my baby would be seriously ill? I was in flight mode both times I think cause of the worry, I didn’t pay attention to the risks.

Is it my fault he is like this? Should I do more to ensure he doesn’t have any learning/development issues? I try so hard with him, with different toys, tummy time several times a day, plenty of forest walks, seeing different people, sensory classes etc. I’m running out of ideas…
For a start, don't every blame yourself. I know it's easier said than done. You have also said yourself that at the time, the benefits outweighed the risks.

I have no experience with steroid injections and every baby develops differently. So for a start, it may not be related to them at all.
Also remember when babies are early, they tend to be a bit slower than "Average" at starting things.
My first never grabbed/reached out for things, he went for a bunch of tests because they were worried. Yet there was nothing wrong.

There is nothing you can do regarding learning difficulties. If its going to happen, it will.
(sorry if that sounded blunt, I had no idea how to write it!)

Please don't ever blame yourself. You've always put your child first and what you think is best for them, that is all anyone can do!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Anyone else have really bad pain at the bottom of their spine after giving birth from baby lying back to back?
Its so sore and its literally all down where it was agonising when I was pushing because of where baby was lying

Late to the party but we are also matchstick monkey stans in this house! Bought one for my boy a few days ago and he LOVES chomping on it and he’s not even teething yet.

I couldn’t believe how small it was for the price though. 😂😩

Call me influenced, I’m getting Matchstick monkey back out tomorrow for another try!

Hello first time posting in here, not had baby yet so don’t kick me out! Just wondering if you’ve any advice on medicines safe from birth / early on that you recommend I have in just in case of anything? I’m a bit clueless about what might come up and what I might need.
Not medicine but that kind of thing…
Metanium Nappy Rash Ointment 30g -,
you mightn’t need it but for £2.50 it’s worth having in stock - it’s like clay rather than cream and overnight effective for us the couple of times she’s been very sore. I also have Sudocrem if she’s only a touch red, kinda preventative, you don’t really need both.

If breastfeeding Vitamin D drops are recommended.

A Saline nasal spray and snot sucker like NoseFrida might be a good shout coming into cold season. We’ve not used it yet but I’ve been unanimously recommended the Calpol Vapor plug for stuffy noses too.

Apparently ‘bottoms up’ from boots is really good & much cheaper and witch hazel soaked into a pad and put in the fridge is supposed to be a life saver. C-section so didn’t get to find out myself mind you.

Anyone else have really bad pain at the bottom of their spine after giving birth from baby lying back to back?
Its so sore and its literally all down where it was agonising when I was pushing because of where baby was lying
My baby wasn't back to back, however, since having my baby, I've had awful back problems at the bottom of my back. Even sneezing and coughing hurts.
If I walk anywhere, I have to have a bath or I won't be able to sleep.
It only started towards the end of pregnancy 🤷🏻‍♀️ and now 4 months later is still there.

Ladies do you have any advice on reflux babies? My little one has refused to settle today after a feed from 9am-12 and tonight since 7 😔 I’ve been looking online at signs of reflux and she pretty much ticks all the boxes. I’m honestly pulling my hair out, can’t deal with the constant crying unless she’s on my chest
We had success for a brief while with carobel, its a powder that thickens the formula to help keep milk and acid reflux down, not sure how it works if you’re breast feeding though sorry.

It stopped working for us after 2/3 weeks though and we had to get infant gaviscon prescribed and it was a life saver. you will get mixed reviews about Gaviscon as most will say it just caused constiption but for us it never did luckily.

Speak to your GP And don’t let them fob you off, most don’t know much about infant reflux and always says its colic.

Other tips is having the upright a lot. We have the nuna leaf seat which has also been great, I wouldn’t suggest a vibrating seat though, more of a swing/rocker type.

Hope you find a solution for your little one quickly ❤

I had two steroid shots with my now nine year old. He’s been more than absolutely fine. I think I remember thinking the same thing that he didn’t reach out for much earlier on. Honestly they just develop when they’re ready. As babies they are taking in so so much that we’re not even aware of, sounds, touch, textures, voices, lights, colours. I’m sure you’re doing an amazing job ♥

Reactions: 4
Ladies do you have any advice on reflux babies? My little one has refused to settle today after a feed from 9am-12 and tonight since 7 😔 I’ve been looking online at signs of reflux and she pretty much ticks all the boxes. I’m honestly pulling my hair out, can’t deal with the constant crying unless she’s on my chest
The sling helps as someone else suggested for keeping them upright. My girl has silent reflux weeks 3/8 where hell as it had been misdiagnosed as having colic but she’s on carobel now which is a milk thickener and it’s really helped her she’s like a completely different baby now she also would never sleep on her back she will only sleep on her tummy which I know isn’t recommended but she literally wouldn’t sleep any other way she wasn’t getting any sleep at all otherwise but she’s really good head control from early on

Used it for first baby decided not too for my second and didn’t really notice the difference without it. Only tore slightly for my first and third degree this time, so it was tough but still don’t think I needed the spritz for bits. There nipple balm though is amazing the only one which helped me

Please don’ blame yourself lovely. For so many reasons! Firstly, as others said, all babies develop at different rates and just because your little boy isn’t doing XYZ right now doesn’t mean he isn’t 100% fine and won’t do them in the near future. It’s so easy to blame ourselves, but it’s so rarely anything to do with us. I am confident you do so much with him - talking, singing, reading, playing - to help him develop, and there is nothing more you could be doing. In cases where children do have learning or developmental issues (and I’m in no way saying your son does) there is nothing that outside adults can do to change that, it’s wired in to their brain. So if that did turn out to be the case, there is nothing you would be able to do to change that.
I understand why you feel frightened about the effects the steroids might have had. But remember that baby “milestones” are a guide, not a prescriptive formula, and all babies reach them in their own time. The fact he isn’t doing something doesn’t mean he is in anyway behind or delayed.
I can honestly say I don’t remember any of my kids being excited by sound or colour. And my 3rd was almost 6 months before she would reach out and hold things (we had to delay blw with her as she wasn’t able to pick things up to her mouth or sit up unaided at 6 months).
And because of his prematurity you must remember he is much more like a 4 month old, and those things you’ve mentioned definitely aren’t things I would expect all 4mo to be doing consistently.

I didn’t - I had a second degree tear and my midwife told me not to use anything other than water in case it irritated it. Instead I swore by a peri bottle to keep it clean and then sometimes iced it with some iced peas and it worked a treat (I threw the peas away though 🤣)

• Haha

No experience on the injections but please don't blame yourself!
I think it's quite common for them to learn a skill, then almost 'forget' it for a while. My little one rolled one way for a while, then completely stopped when he learned to sit up and was acting like he couldn't when he got stuck in the cot. Then he was saying ba ba ba for a whole week and hasn't done it in 2 weeks! He's learned to crawl in that time. What's your health visitor like? Could you have a chat about your concerns?

Has anyone changed milk to comfort milk? My HV mentioned it because of my daughters reflux and is quite a sicky baby. We tried infant gaviscon but made her really constipated and were getting omeprazol today but wondering if that doesn't work maybe trying a comfort milk?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.