New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It sounds minor and silly but I tend to get quite overwhelmed with handling too much STUFF pretty quickly- before baby I'd never even go out with a handbag as I hate carrying lots of things around, so going out with baby is a whole new ball game.
I don’t have a nappy bag as such. I have a fold up change pad with room for nappies and wipes that stays in the pram basket as back up and one of These which is attached to the pram and takes a couple of nappies, spare sleep suit/outfit, wipes, antibac, a Muslin cover, large rattle toy and space for keys, phone and purse. If I want to put in a couple more toys I can take out my purse and just take a card, or remove the Muslim cover and just wear a scarf. Whatever leaves my hands free. Utilise the pram basket, it helps to have fewer things to worry about.

We went to a music/singing type class when she was maybe 8 weeks and though she slept through much of them she loved the bits she was awake for and loves it still now. Gave me a reason to get out. It helps to have something that needs sticking too but is only an hour or so.
I’ve also got a season ticket for the local zoo so it feels like a proper day out but i’m really familiar with it & don’t have to worry where the next toilet is or anything. Being comfortable and familiar makes the world of difference. It’s all giving yourself one less thing to worry about.

At first taking her out and she cried if feel like everyone was looking at me thinking ‘she can’t handle her baby’ but it was really my own doubts. Now I guess they’re actually thinking ‘poor sod, I remember those days’. No one worth bothering with would judge a Mum trying to handle their tiny baby, if they do they either don’t know what they're on about or an hole.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Same but I started to do this and it’s really helped me keep on top, each box holds 100ish so every month I print some and pop in the box for that month. Then I do an albumn for the first year so a mix
I've snuck over from the pregnancy thread, but do you have a link to this? It looks fab and such a good idea x

Reactions: 2
Any time I see a Mum struggling with a crying baby/toddler, I always give her a smile. But I do worry they think I'm judging them instead!

Reactions: 6
Any time I see a Mum struggling with a crying baby/toddler, I always give her a smile. But I do worry they think I'm judging them instead!
Yes! So hard to convey a sympathetic/solidarity smile, I’m sure people think I’m staring and judging 😬😬

Reactions: 3
I've snuck over from the pregnancy thread, but do you have a link to this? It looks fab and such a good idea x
Here you go..
Novelinks Photo Case 4" x 6" Photo Box Storage - 16 Inner Photo Keeper Photo Organizer Cases Photos Storage Containers Box for Photos (Clear) Amazon product

I have seen it at hobby craft too but Amazon always seems cheaper

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Here you go..
Novelinks Photo Case 4" x 6" Photo Box Storage - 16 Inner Photo Keeper Photo Organizer Cases Photos Storage Containers Box for Photos (Clear) Amazon product

I have seen it at hobby craft too but Amazon always seems cheaper
Amazing, thank you! X

• Heart
I try too. In the height of reflux/allergies on a pram trip with my baby, I had 3 comments from 3 different people (one woman, who had a child with her and then two men), about the fact he was screaming and should be picked up and fed. Really knocked my confidence in taking him in the pram, which he already hated and I knew he did!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I try too. In the height of reflux/allergies on a pram trip with my baby, I had 3 comments from 3 different people (one woman, who had a child with her and then two men), about the fact he was screaming and should be picked up and fed. Really knocked my confidence in taking him in the pram, which he already hated and I knew he did!
What is it about pregnancy/babies that makes people think they can offer unsolicited advice? As if you hadn’t noticed he was crying 🙄🙄🙄 ! I have a mental list of sassy responses for anyone who offers an opinion if baby is crying or I’m feeding in public (in reality I’d probably just cry and run away)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hi I'm jumping on here having read a few of these posts but not all.

I'm nearly 6 weeks post csection delivery of my beautiful baby (first time mum). Recovery has been pretty good and tbh I've felt strong to do most things for a couple of weeks now but I've stopped myself. However this means I've been really reliant on my husband for lots of things to the point where I think I've become a bit too dependent.

From next week I want to start doing more things just myself and baby such as walks, meeting people for coffee and being able to finally drive! However I'm getting a lot of anxiety around this and I already feel like in these last couple of weeks since my husband went back to work I've been stuck in a rut of being cooped up in the house just sitting in front of the TV watching junk and looking after baby. I don't want this rut to continue but equally I'm really anxious about everything. Any tips? Hoping to start with a short walk every day and build from there but even that is making me a bit nervous 😓
I'd definitely start small then build up! Even a walk around the area you live in, just make sure baby's been fed and nappy changed before you go so you're not worrying if they're hungry etc. It'll get miles better when you're able to drive and have freedom. I was so reliant on my partner after my section, he had to drive me and the 2 kids to every dr/hosp appointment, visiting people etc, get the shopping, make dinners etc. I felt awful but I do believe that's what's made my recovery this time around much easier as after my first section I pushed myself too hard. I only braved my first walk with both kids myself (3months & 2) a few days ago, albeit it was only for 10 mins as I was anxious but I felt so good for doing so as I was dreading it incase baby or toddler kicked off! I'd try not over think it as that'll make you feel more anxious 😊

Maybe a stupid question but does anyone have any tips of like things I should be doing with baby to help her development? She’s 5 weeks old and is way more alert now, she likes looking in the mirror and tummy time, but is there any sensory activities etc I should be doing? I’ve tried googling but it’s such a minefield of info and you all have such great advice!

• Heart
Maybe a stupid question but does anyone have any tips of like things I should be doing with baby to help her development? She’s 5 weeks old and is way more alert now, she likes looking in the mirror and tummy time, but is there any sensory activities etc I should be doing? I’ve tried googling but it’s such a minefield of info and you all have such great advice!
Sounds like you’re doing great with tummy time etc 😁 if you want to do more bits maybe reading a book to her, I bought a sensory box for about 10 quid off Etsy, she’s probably a bit too young but my little boy looooooves his now he’s a little older

Sounds like you’re doing great with tummy time etc 😁 if you want to do more bits maybe reading a book to her, I bought a sensory box for about 10 quid off Etsy, she’s probably a bit too young but my little boy looooooves his now he’s a little older
Ooh okay will give it a go! Thank you 😁😁

Does anyone have any experience with infant gaviscon? My wee one has been put on it. She's breast fed so apparently I need to syringe it in, not sure whether I should just try and express or do a couple bottles of formula to make it easier on us 🤔
Anyone know how long it takes to work?

Does anyone have any experience with infant gaviscon? My wee one has been put on it. She's breast fed so apparently I need to syringe it in, not sure whether I should just try and express or do a couple bottles of formula to make it easier on us 🤔
It is a huge pain to get in to a breastfed baby and can cause constipation. If reflux an issue? Quite often reflux in bf babies is a symptom of taking in too much air, and when the air comes up again it brings up sick, which mimics the reflux. Working on latch and ensuring good positioning at every feed may help you out. My son was put on gaviscon and I put it in expressed bottles (luckily he took them fine) but tbh it just constipated him and didn’t really solve the issue at all, just masked the problem (which was CMPA).

Talking, singing, chatting, reading to her are all the best interactions for now! She’s still learning to focus on things, and she’s programmed to focus on faces so yours will be just perfect!
You can get tummy time mats in high contrast (black and white) which are supposed to be fab for newbies
Also fold out high contract books which you can use during TT or just hold when you’re holding her

But just interacting with her is honestly the best for a newborn. If you can, get her outside to watch the trees (the movement of the leaves, and the shadows, is something they love!)

Talking, singing, chatting, reading to her are all the best interactions for now! She’s still learning to focus on things, and she’s programmed to focus on faces so yours will be just perfect!
You can get tummy time mats in high contrast (black and white) which are supposed to be fab for newbies
Also fold out high contract books which you can use during TT or just hold when you’re holding her

But just interacting with her is honestly the best for a newborn. If you can, get her outside to watch the trees (the movement of the leaves, and the shadows, is something they love!)
Amazing thank you! I chat away to her (mostly nonsense but I don’t think she minds 😂) and I mimic the faces she pulls and the noises she makes so we can have a little conversation - although I’ve started doing it out the house, was copying her in the supermarket earlier, I must have looked mad 😂😂 I just wasn’t sure if I should be doing anything specific! Love the idea of the trees so will definitely give that a go!!

Amazing thank you! I chat away to her (mostly nonsense but I don’t think she minds 😂) and I mimic the faces she pulls and the noises she makes so we can have a little conversation - although I’ve started doing it out the house, was copying her in the supermarket earlier, I must have looked mad 😂😂 I just wasn’t sure if I should be doing anything specific! Love the idea of the trees so will definitely give that a go!!
It sounds to me like you’re doing wonderfully!!! There certainly isn’t anything specific you would need to be doing, when she is slightly bigger there are lots of different ideas for play you can delve in to, but for newborns it’s a bit trickier. One account that I follow on Instagram is themovementmama. She has loads of info on physical movement for babies (guiding them to milestones) but also would post good play ideas, good ideas for toys and things like that 😊

• Heart
Havnt read the rest of the replies yet - but there's an app called playfully (think you pay but there is a free trial) and it gives you different activities everyday age related to your baby, used it with my little boy when we were in lockdown last year which was helpful xx

• Heart
It is a huge pain to get in to a breastfed baby and can cause constipation. If reflux an issue? Quite often reflux in bf babies is a symptom of taking in too much air, and when the air comes up again it brings up sick, which mimics the reflux. Working on latch and ensuring good positioning at every feed may help you out. My son was put on gaviscon and I put it in expressed bottles (luckily he took them fine) but tbh it just constipated him and didn’t really solve the issue at all, just masked the problem (which was CMPA).

Yeah she is showing signs of reflux, I'm still having to use nipple shields because of her tongue tie but the health visitor checked my latch and said it was fine. Thinking of getting a bf consultant to check before I give up completely 😭
I've to see if this works and if not then they will explore the cmpa avenue

My little one was on it - we are formula feeding so was easy to put in there. He had awful silent reflux and it didn't really help, all it did was constipate him. We moved onto omeprazole after about 10 days. In the end we realised it's CMPA.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.