New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any recommendations for skin/face care?
I had my baby 5 months ago- which is a long time but also a short time and ever since my face has become incredibly greasy and keeps breaking out in spots, ridiculous amounts. I don’t wear make up so it’s not that & only ever use simple soap to wash. Any suggestions on what to use on my face to stop spots keep coming back?
The Ordinary is really good and super affordable, if you go on their website you can get a personalised regime

Reactions: 3
Anyone have experience of thrush in their little ones and how long it took to clear up? Need to call the Drs tomorrow to see if she needs anything for it

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Does anyone have any recommendations for skin/face care?
I had my baby 5 months ago- which is a long time but also a short time and ever since my face has become incredibly greasy and keeps breaking out in spots, ridiculous amounts. I don’t wear make up so it’s not that & only ever use simple soap to wash. Any suggestions on what to use on my face to stop spots keep coming back?
I feel you! My skin seems to have completely changed! I was using tropic beforehand, I still absolutely love it but my skin doesn’t.
I second the ordinary. I’ve now gone onto using the basic pack which was like £25 to try and 8 weeks in so far so good… it’s also very reasonable as mat pay and skincare budgets don’t go hand in hand!

Anyone have experience of thrush in their little ones and how long it took to clear up? Need to call the Drs tomorrow to see if she needs anything for it
Mine had it on her tongue when she was about 3/4 weeks , I contacted the doctor after being told by health visitor. We didn’t need treatment but was gone in about 10 days.
However contact your gp regardless xx

Oral thrush? Yep my little one had it, I can’t remember the name of the stuff we got but it was oral drops for 7 days... cleared up super quick!

Whereabouts? I’ve experience of it in the mouth and also in the nappy region. The dr will give you something for it either way. And if it’s in the mouth, and you’re bf, you’ll need something too. It can be tricky enough to clear, but keep applying the medication, and wash your bras, and reusable breast pads if you use them, at 60C and get them out in the sun to dry.

Thanks ladies, it's in the nappy region and her mouth the HV mentioned it today but then took a phone call so got side tracked about asking more questions about it so will ring the Dr tomorrow. I'm bottle feeding , I didn't even realise they could get it in their mouth through bottles?? X

Just popping in from the pregnancy thread to ask if any of you used the always discreet pants PP? I've got a pack in my hospital bag but I'm worried about them not being absorbent enough and if I should just stick to normal maternity towels and big knickers? Thank you!

Thanks ladies, it's in the nappy region and her mouth the HV mentioned it today but then took a phone call so got side tracked about asking more questions about it so will ring the Dr tomorrow. I'm bottle feeding , I didn't even realise they could get it in their mouth through bottles?? X
I suppose if it’s in her nappy then it wouldn’t be too difficult to get it up to her mouth, her hands flailing about during a nappy change maybe?

Just popping in from the pregnancy thread to ask if any of you used the always discreet pants PP? I've got a pack in my hospital bag but I'm worried about them not being absorbent enough and if I should just stick to normal maternity towels and big knickers? Thank you!
Boots maternity pads were the best! Really thick and comfy ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've seen lots of people suggesting pants. I've always stuck to maternity pads though. Plenty of cushioning!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I used Aldi’s incontinence pants and they were brill. I had a sample of either always discrete or the tena black ones and they were almost too discrete so I didn’t take them so could t say for sure. Like you say, I’m sure they absorb liquid well but the pp bleed is thicker. I’d take them and expect to use them but take a few maternity pads for back up. You could double up that way too.

• Heart
Does anyone have any tips on dealing with engorgement? Baby is only feeding from one boob and I find that about an hour after I feed the second boob gets solid as a rock and really uncomfortable. I want to express but also don’t want to increase my milk supply because I think it’ll make the problem worse but it’s so uncomfortable 😬

I used Aldi’s incontinence pants and they were brill. I had a sample of either always discrete or the tena black ones and they were almost too discrete so I didn’t take them so could t say for sure. Like you say, I’m sure they absorb liquid well but the pp bleed is thicker. I’d take them and expect to use them but take a few maternity pads for back up. You could double up that way too.
I ordered some of the sample always & tenas too, I got the biggest ones they had and they were just too tight after I had my baby. I did have a C-section though and was full of fluid so maybe that didn’t help? But I preferred huge baggy knickers & stick on maternity pads. I asked for some of the pads the hospital provide so I could save my packets for home, I went through quite a few of them.

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with engorgement? Baby is only feeding from one boob and I find that about an hour after I feed the second boob gets solid as a rock and really uncomfortable. I want to express but also don’t want to increase my milk supply because I think it’ll make the problem worse but it’s so uncomfortable 😬
are you happy with baby only feeding from one side? Do they have trouble latching on the other side? The ideal situation would be to have baby feeding off both, so if there is an issue then maybe a chat with a lactation consultant would help?
For the engorgement try to hand express off just enough to be comfortable (so not enough to signal to make loads more milk). You can use ice packs to try and relieve the pain and engorgement (and swap to heat before expressing), and the say cabbage leaves in your bra works wonders but I dunno about that one! You will need to keep a close eye that the engorgement doesn’t result in blocked ducts, and mastitis x

Reactions: 2
are you happy with baby only feeding from one side? Do they have trouble latching on the other side? The ideal situation would be to have baby feeding off both, so if there is an issue then maybe a chat with a lactation consultant would help?
For the engorgement try to hand express off just enough to be comfortable (so not enough to signal to make loads more milk). You can use ice packs to try and relieve the pain and engorgement (and swap to heat before expressing), and the say cabbage leaves in your bra works wonders but I dunno about that one! You will need to keep a close eye that the engorgement doesn’t result in blocked ducts, and mastitis x
I always offer her both, but quite often (especially in the night/early hours) she doesn’t want it and stops after one side because she’s sleepy. Will try those tips and will see if I can persevere to get her to take both sides to help as well! Thank you 💕

I always offer her both, but quite often (especially in the night/early hours) she doesn’t want it and stops after one side because she’s sleepy. Will try those tips and will see if I can persevere to get her to take both sides to help as well! Thank you 💕
Have you tried a few different holds on the side she won’t feed from? when No4 arrived he was having trouble feeding on the left, so I held him in rugby ball position and it definitely helped, I like to think it fooled him in to thinking it was the right 🤣
How old is baby now? Sometimes difficulty feeding on one side (a sustained difficulty) can be linked to torticollis, have you noticed any other signs of that?

Been to the park with the children and met a delightful woman who said Im going to struggle with the age gap 🙄 cheers then!!
I hate people that feel the need to comment!
I sat in Asda carpark yesterday, baby was crying because she was hungry but I was heating a bottle up. So I sat eating my sandwich whilst the bottle was heating up. Woman getting in the car next to me asked me why I'm sitting eating when my baby is crying 😑
Well, her bottle is heating up.. She won't stop crying until I've fed her so what would you like me to do?

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.