New baby and post birth advice #19 Marching to the beat of our tiny dictators drums

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
At the end of my tether tonight :( Me and OH do nights in shifts of 5 hours each since having Tommy home otherwise neither of us gets any sleep at all. By the time we settle we get a max of 3-4 hours sleep a day and because we alternate shift times each night, it's always 24h since we've last been to bed by the time we go. It's absolutely exhausting having a solid 5 hours with him on your own on so little sleep, you literally can't put him down for 5 minutes or he screams. The only salvation is that for the most part, we can at least sit down with him now but tonight he's having none of it and I'm losing my bleeping mind. I don't have the energy to walk around for 5 hours rocking and shushing him and I can't put him down and walk away because he'll wake OH up. I love him so much but my god he's terrorising the living tit out of us. I'm so bleeping sick of everyone saying "it'll get better", "ride it out", "it's only a phase", "appreciate it while you can because soon he won't want cuddles!". Yes that all might be true, but we are essentially tortured and it's hard to see all that when you are having to live it at the time.
How old is baby? As honestly this sounds unliveable, and especially if you’ve been doing it long term. Have you considered reflux or a milk allergy?

Reactions: 2
3am club - when you baby wakes up and starts chatting to themselves in the cot (not crying). Do you leave them or go to them? I never know what’s best. Part of me wants to leave her so she can put herself back to sleep but as they’re still in our room I can’t sleep whilst she’s awake. So I normally end up getting up to give her a dummy etc. 🤷‍♀️. Luckily the other twin doesn’t normally wake, and unluckily husband just snores through (so jealous)
I leave him! In my case it’s more because he needs to get his farts out at that time though lol. I stick Ewan the sheep on and roll back over while he farts away and he’s usually back to sleep by the end of the 20 min white noise cycle.

However at 5am he then wakes up again loudly chatting and there’s no getting him back to sleep on that one…he’s happily up for the day 🙃

At the end of my tether tonight :( Me and OH do nights in shifts of 5 hours each since having Tommy home otherwise neither of us gets any sleep at all. By the time we settle we get a max of 3-4 hours sleep a day and because we alternate shift times each night, it's always 24h since we've last been to bed by the time we go. It's absolutely exhausting having a solid 5 hours with him on your own on so little sleep, you literally can't put him down for 5 minutes or he screams. The only salvation is that for the most part, we can at least sit down with him now but tonight he's having none of it and I'm losing my bleeping mind. I don't have the energy to walk around for 5 hours rocking and shushing him and I can't put him down and walk away because he'll wake OH up. I love him so much but my god he's terrorising the living tit out of us. I'm so bleeping sick of everyone saying "it'll get better", "ride it out", "it's only a phase", "appreciate it while you can because soon he won't want cuddles!". Yes that all might be true, but we are essentially tortured and it's hard to see all that when you are having to live it at the time.
Is he always funny about laying on his back? It might be worth getting him checked out for reflux or something if so? This does sound really tough!

Sorry, you probably already have tried everything but have you tried the trick of slowly lowering him into a crib/Moses basket when his arms are floppy while still rocking him, putting his bum down before his head and having a hand on his stomach for a few seconds? That’s the only way I can get mine to stay asleep in his crib when he’s having a tough night x

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 1
How old is baby? As honestly this sounds unliveable, and especially if you’ve been doing it long term. Have you considered reflux or a milk allergy?
Nearly 3 months. But he was 2 months early so will likely take him longer to grow out of things. He doesn’t really have signs of either. It’s mainly gas and just wanting contact. For the most part we cope it’s just nights like tonight that I’m feeling extra sorry for myself lol.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Nearly 3 months. But he was 2 months early so will likely take him longer to grow out of things. He doesn’t really have signs of either. It’s mainly gas and just wanting contact. For the most part we cope it’s just nights like tonight that I’m feeling extra sorry for myself lol.
No advice, just solidarity as the parent of a fellow tit sleeper! Sleep is just a bloody rollercoaster tbf. Silly question but I assume cosleeping is not an option as he was prem…?

so I was hoping (lol) that we were due a bit of sleep fortune coming up to 8 months but no…baby biscuit has refused to settle for her dad, has been awake every 2 hours and was wide awake for an hour at 2:30 and up for the day at 4 😭 don’t know how I’m going to survive today honestly as mr B is away with work 😭

She is annoyingly pretty happy about all of this! At least my nipple has recovered from her biting me earlier in the week

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m with you on all of these! 🤣

I’m a weirdo and will happily eat/drink literally anything …except I can’t stand the two things everyone loves - ketchup or any form of coke/Pepsi!

I stayed in the background quietly gagging at the previous Pepsi vs coke debate 🤣
Ketchup?! I am the ketchup queen. I have mc Donald’s tubs in my bag and if it goes with a meal then you can be sure I’m using at least a cup of it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
3am club - when you baby wakes up and starts chatting to themselves in the cot (not crying). Do you leave them or go to them? I never know what’s best. Part of me wants to leave her so she can put herself back to sleep but as they’re still in our room I can’t sleep whilst she’s awake. So I normally end up getting up to give her a dummy etc. 🤷‍♀️. Luckily the other twin doesn’t normally wake, and unluckily husband just snores through (so jealous)
If my baby wakes up during the night, not crying I just leave her to go back to sleep by herself which she usually does 🙂

If she’s settling herself and I can’t sleep I just bust myself on my phone. I can relax once she’s off but if there wasn’t any crying or standing up reaching for me I’d leave her to it!

I honestly think the trauma of premature birth (and c-section) can aggravate colic and reflux symptoms. My baby was the same and so was my cousins baby who was also premature. 💙 not helpful like but I totally sympathise. It’s really tough. Sorry I can’t remember if you said but was Tommy checked for tongue tie? That’s common in premature birth.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
That’s sounds really tough. Just to echo the @Babyyoda88 and @Borntorun I’d consider if there was something underlying like silent reflux as contact is very soothing if they’re in pain x

• Heart
That’s really hard. If he’s got lots of gas have you had him examined for tongue tie as that won’t help. Or tried colief or gripe water? Other than that I have nothing than a lot of sympathy, my baby doesn’t like being put down either but I’ve always coslept. It’s a bit rough if you can’t do that when they’re prem

• Heart
Roll with me here. As @Babyyoda88 wisely said, premature birth puts them through so much stress, and everything seems to agg them more.
T2 was my massive nightmare, what ever we did it wasn't good enough and combined with 3 hourly feeds and her twin we were managing 3 hours sleep too. I ended up taking her to see a cranial osteopath because she had a really stiff neck & she was all out of sorts, it calmed her down to a degree. I was at my witts end and it felt like a tiny miracle. Is it something you could consider?

• Heart
I leave mine if she wakes 😂 she’s never crying and I’ve always done it so she’s used to it, but she also doesn’t use a dummy and usually settles back down. It’s usually a fart or a stir. Sometimes if it goes on for a bit too long I shhh her and try and settle her but I’ve always just left her to it if she doesn’t need anything or there’s nothing I can do. X

That sounds so tough. I didn’t have a premie but I had a refluxy baby. They don’t usually like being laid down and it’s always worse at night. Always used to call it her nightly exorcism.
maybe like the others have said check for reflux (mine has silent reflux so doesn’t do big sicks) tongue tie or an osteopath to see if there’s any tension. I hope things get better for you soon. Exhaustion is just the worst it is a form of torture ❤ I know it really does sound so cliche but it does get better.

Oh my. Ketchup and Coke are the staples of my fussy diet😂😭
I love piping hot scrambled eggs with a big dollop of red sauce.
Red sauce with eggs is the only acceptable condiment 😂
My husband has hot sauce. He can get in the bin

Last edited:
  • Heart
Skipping the, health visitor 1 year appointment today. I have zero concerns and the leaflet with tick boxes they sent out, she can do everything on there.

But why do I feel so guilty skipping it? 😂

• Heart
TMI but my nipples are soooo sore 🔥 and I realised period must be imminent 😫😩 it’s like being pregnant again when anything brushes past them its painful. 😑

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My 9 week old baby slept til 5.15am 😊😊😊 I’m taking that as a small win after he was awake crying most of the afternoon and early evening yesterday.

Edit : How does everyone feel about their MIL with their babies? It winds me up when she holds him and makes such a fuss being daft and “oh the baby did this” “oh the baby did that” I know it’s her grandson but FML 🤦🏻‍♀️ I can’t stand it lol

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I have lost all respect for you ketchup eating monsters. Disgraceful business. Ketchup is disgusting, and I think I’ll have to leave you to it from now on knowing how you behave with the red stuff 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Can take or leave ketchup im a hot sauce girl! Have it on everything

Are we going to have to add a favourite condiment option on the next new thread poll? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I’m rushing around baking stuff and making baby tango a packed lunch getting ready for hartbeeps and find baby tango in the cupboard eating her crisp snacks. does this mean I’m a montisori mum 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I have lost all respect for you ketchup eating monsters. Disgraceful business. Ketchup is disgusting, and I think I’ll have to leave you to it from now on knowing how you behave with the red stuff 🤣🤣
I thought you were wise!!!! How can you not like ketchup?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.