Neighbours #3 Our Neighbours have come home!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So far I've enjoyed the episodes but today's was a little boring.
I do want to know why Susan left her job.
It looks like AJ is Rodwells son
---
I wish Lucy Robinson was staying. She’s fabulous 😍.
She's great, I forgot that Finn had planned to kill her during the end game week and she swapped her box and Prue was the one who ended up getting blown up.

I've enjoyed the episodes but today's was a little boring.
in order to receive a pay out to sort out the debt Karl incurred from the Montana investment I gathered from todays episode

Reactions: 3
in order to receive a pay out to sort out the debt Karl incurred from the Montana investment I gathered from todays episode
Ah, thank you I wasn’t concentrating that much watching todays episode, I thought I must have missed something.

Reactions: 1
I’m sure it’s just me but Mischa Barton’s acting just seems really wooden. Maybe it’s just her accent, I’ve never watched the OC or other things she’s been in though so no idea if she’s been good in other things.

Reactions: 5
Yeah I assume Australian pensions are like ours in that you can take some of the fund as a tax free lump sum when you retire, so it seems like Susan did that earlier than she wanted to in order to bail Karl out. That said, I don't think there's any rule to say you can't return after you've said you were going to retire. I've known a couple of people do that when they decided retirement was boring!

Reactions: 2
I’m sure it’s just me but Mischa Barton’s acting just seems really wooden. Maybe it’s just her accent, I’ve never watched the OC or other things she’s been in though so no idea if she’s been good in other things.
She’d always been like that. Dreadful actress with no facial expressions. Did make me laugh how they hyped up her joining the show like she was Helen Mirren or something. She was on a teen show twenty years ago and hasn’t done much else ffs.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Didn’t understand when toadie suggested him and Mel broke because she couldn’t handle being a step mom, I didn’t buy that

Reactions: 7
I remember Susan saying they be working for years extra to recoup the loss but surely an experienced doctor like him and a school principal wouldn’t have to work that long to get back 200k if they had no major outgoings??

Reactions: 4
I wondered if something had happened at school and they’d offer her a payoff and she took it because if she didn’t she’s wouldn’t get anything as good when she retired.
Am I correct in thinking Jane is the new head?

I’m also confused why Holly has an Australian accent? Didn’t she grow up in England?

I thought it was her accent, but maybe it's her acting. I did watch the OC for a bit, but can't remember much of it or her acting.
---
I wondered if something had happened at school and they’d offer her a payoff and she took it because if she didn’t she’s wouldn’t get anything as good when she retired.

I’m also confused why Holly has an Australian accent? Didn’t she grow up in England?
I thought that about Nic as Jane said she lived in England for 30 years and I'm sure Nic was born there.
---
I remember Susan saying they be working for years extra to recoup the loss but surely an experienced doctor like him and a school principal wouldn’t have to work that long to get back 200k if they had no major outgoings??
Exactly and it was always a joke that Karl was tight. There was a whole episode where him and Jane bulk bought and used coupons and were stashing items all over the street and the joke about him bulk buying hash browns to save money

It’s even funnier because she’s the same actress who played Holly forever. She’s Aussie in real life, came onto the show with an English accent and now has an Aussie one 😂

• Haha
I didn’t realise it was the same person. Just assumed they’d recast her. That’s even more mad that she did an English accent back then.
I never twigged about Nicolette but obviously she would have been English too. In fact I don’t think she ever mentioned England or living there the whole time she was on the show.

I think this is something like the storyline they were gonna do before scrapping it due the cancellation.

Today’s episode was definitely a little slower paced, but it felt a little more like normal Neighbours, so I didn’t mind it.

I was so happy that it was coming back that I didn't mind it only being 4 episodes. However, I wish it was 5 now, it feels like when C5 messed about with it during covid and cut episodes during the week and we fell behind OZ. I'm still glad it's back and I'll get used to 4 episodes.

Accents are weird. They seem to be fully formed by late teens/early adulthood, so if you move country when you're 16 or older, you'll almost certainly retain your accent for the rest of your life (though your accent will probably also take on a hint of the place you moved to).

Whereas if you move when you're younger than that, you generally adopt the accent of your new country provided you stay there. A friend of mine from primary school moved to Australia when he was 11ish and he sounds fully Aussie now, whereas his parents still sound English. It seems to be linked to surroundings (wanting to fit in at school) but also linked to maturity - eg you're still learning as a child, which includes speech, hence you mimick how more people around you sound, rather than your parents. Obviously there are exceptions.
---
I was so happy that it was coming back that I didn't mind it only being 4 episodes. However, I wish it was 5 now, it feels like when C5 messed about with it during covid and cut episodes during the week and we fell behind OZ. I'm still glad it's back and I'll get used to 4 episodes.
Yeah I was planning on watching it this morning then remembered! Still, I'm sure there will be days when I forget or don't have time to watch, so having 3 days without a new episode will make it easier to catch up.

Me too! Completely forgot about it not being on and went to watch. Does seem a bit weird but would rather have 4 days than none.
Interesting about accents. My mother in law moved from Scotland at 16 to Yorkshire but has spent most of her adult life in the midlands. She has a very random accent some words are very Scottish, and some Yorkshire twang. I wonder if some people are more prone to picking up accents.
In neighbours I think Andrew Robinsons was the most hilarious as they had to invent a reason why he had a Scottish twang to it 😂

Reactions: 7
Maybe it’s just me but it sounds like Jackie Woodburne keeps slipping into her natural Northern Irish accent. In real life it’s quite prominent with a bit of an Aussie twang. I suppose she just got out of the habit of playing Susan. But it reminded me a bit of how David Jason never seemed to get Del Boy’s accent right after he’d not played him for a whole.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.