Naya Rivera

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
RIP Naya. I’m so devastated and for her poor little boy as well. I also haven’t stopped crying. I feel so sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
The part in the press conference where they said she had enough strength to get her son back in the boat but not herself broke me what a horrible accident

• Sad
Reactions: 16
Sounds absolutely horrific. They said she managed to get her son out of the water and on board but when he turned around she had completely disappeared. There’s a possibility that they were both in trouble in the water before she managed to get him to safety - but that’s only speculation.

RIP Naya x

• Sad
Reactions: 10
There is something really haunting about thinking of her being in that lake for days :(

• Sad
Reactions: 7
"she had enough energy to get her son back on the boat, but not herself.:cry:

This is so tragic and awful, her poor family and son. RIP Naya.

Reactions: 1
It must have been hard for the investigators trying to "interview" her son although I guess they are trained for that.

• Sad
I got chills watching the conference. May she Rest In Peace & I’ll continue to pray for her little boy. As a mother this breaks my heart 😢😢💔

Reactions: 5
To my knowledge they can find out if the persons cause of death was drowning or not. So even if she did eventually drown there are ways of finding out If that’s the cause of death or not

Desperately hope she’s still alive somehow tho :(
I’ve attended a few post-Mortems of people who have drowned. It’s quite easy to tell if they died from drowning, and also how long they were alive/struggling in the water for, due to how much water is in the bladder - I attended my first aged 18 and the bladder was really full - the pathologist turned to me and said “jeez, it must have taken this man a really long time to drown”. He was a suicide victim and the thought of him being in the water for so long during his darkest moments has always stayed with me.

A simple autopsy should easily rule out any foul play in this case. It’s such a tragic scenario, I really do feel for her family and poor child.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
The whole situation is just heartbreaking, I can't imagine how scared she must have been and how her son must be feeling trying to process it all. I can't stop thinking about it.

I have just picked my sleeping baby up out of his cot for an extra cuddle tonight ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Just reading that the little boy saw her go under. Poor thing, I hope he has as much care and support as he needs.

Excuse my ignorance, but it said they were swimming and she was too tired to get on board herself? What would have caused her to tire so much, would it be because they were far away from the boat? Or the conditions? I’ve not swam in a lake before so I’m not sure of the conditions.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Just reading that the little boy saw her go under. Poor thing, I hope he has as much care and support as he needs.

Excuse my ignorance, but it said they were swimming and she was too tired to get on board herself? What would have caused her to tire so much, would it be because they were far away from the boat? Or the conditions? I’ve not swam in a lake before so I’m not sure of the conditions.
They mentioned on the conference that it’s possible the boat drifted as it wasn’t anchored.

• Sad

The boat apparently drifted so she would have had to swim to it. I read that the lake can get bad currents in the afternoon.

Boat may have drifted, though I guess not too much as they found her approx at the location from where she sent her family a pic of her son.
The sheriff said there are under-currents in the afternoon and this happened mid-afternoon, she must've been caught up in that and that exhausted her.

Swimming is extremely exhausting and many swimmers underestimate this, swim far out at the seaside and then don't have the energy to swim back to shore and drown or the currents are too strong and drain too much energy (I know drowning stories from the sea side, the rivers in my home town and lakes, incl people who were excellent swimmers, water is no joke).

If the boat drifted and she got into the currents, then she must've been exhausted.
I think the life jacket would've saved her, had she worn hers.

Her son didn't see her drown, she helped him onto the boat and when he turnt around she was gone.

She grew up near the lake and went often to it, it was said from the start that the lake was "her sanctuary".

They should put up warnings at the lake (if there aren't any), considering that a good number of people have drowned in that lake and it's not really a swimming lake. Though warnings are often ignored...

I am just glad they found her. It gives her loved ones closure.

She may not have been terrified in her last moments. She may have been hopeful and thought she'll make it.

The thing with drowning is, there is no splashing. I see that mentioned here quite a bit, but she wouldn't have splashed. People who drown are very still and barely move. They become exhausted and I suppose "sleepy" and then sink. It's not the spectacle Hollywood has portrayed it as.

Edit: Currents tend to also pull people under. If they don't exhaust you, they just take you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
From the press conference:

[...] Former Glee star Naya Rivera might have helped save her 4-year-old son Josey's life before her death, Ventura County Sheriff Bill Ayub said in a news conference Monday. Ayub confirmed that Rivera's body was found early Monday morning at about 9:10, floating in the northeastern area of Lake Piru, a reservoir in Los Padres National Forest. Rivera went missing Wednesday afternoon.

When employees at the lake found Rivera's boat Wednesday, Josey was asleep inside, wearing his life jacket. Rivera's life jacket was in the boat, but Rivera could not be found. Josey told investigators he was swimming with his mother, but it is not clear how Josey got back in the boat. "It would be speculation to say at this point. There are a lot of currents on the lake that appear particularly in the afternoon," Ayab explained. He said the boat may have started drifting, as it was not anchored. Rivera might have "mustered enough energy to get her son back on the boat, but not enough to save herself," Ayab said.

Earlier in the news conference, Ayab confirmed swimming is allowed in the lake, but most people visit for watercraft recreation. Authorities focused their search in the northeastern part of the lake for the past five days, but could not locate the body due to the poor visibility and heavy underwater shrubbery. According to Ayab, the reason why they found the body floating Monday may be due to decomposition, as the gas filling the body caused it to rise to the surface. The body looked like it had been in the water "for several days." [...]

This is so sad I’ve been following :-( seems like her and son went swimming and the strong currents made the boat float away and made it very hard to swim back to the boat I’ve felt currents and there so strong to swim against :( she likely just about managed to push son back on to the boat :( sad x

• Sad