Names You Can't Stand #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sounds like a shade of paint!
ha. awkward that Dusty Rose actually is a shade of paint! - and it's not even a pretty shade of pink! urgh. Dusty Lilac is also a paint colour - which is way too similar to Dusty Violet.

i kinda feel like deciding to name your child Dusty, Dusky or Misty followed by a colour middle name is always gonna be a risk in terms of it potentially being a paint colour. Dusky Peach, Dusty Blue, Misty Rose, Dusty Jade, Dusky Teal etc etc - they all sound as though they should be listed on a paint colour chart, not a school register! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

Screenshot_20220725_151822.jpg

Reactions: 2
Saw a Fenix instead of phoenix.

In primary we had a game where we held hands and raised them up and down whilst someone else had to go in and out and we would sing “in and out the dusty bluebells” .

Last edited:
Reactions: 7

In primary we had a game where we held hands and raised them up and down whilst someone else had to go in and out and we would sing “in and out the dusty bluebells” .

My God I remember playing that at Infants school (a very long time ago)!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3

and while there are many interpretations behind the origins of the game - including one about fairies and toadstools and enchanted woods and children being lured away by pixies - there is also a theory that it's either about the way that bluebells are poisonous when eaten or the plague, because death was said to "tap his victims on their shoulder as he chose them at random". kinda like the ring-a-ring-o-roses rhyme - it all seems like a lovely, innocent childhood game, but it has sinister undertones.

i assume Dusty Bluebell seemed like a cute name and potentially even alluded to the childhood game - but even without the fact that it sounds like a paint colour, I probably wouldn't want to give my. a child a name which inadvertently references the plague! 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Just seen the name Boden and also an alternative spelling for it - Beauden...

• Haha
Reactions: 6

We used to sing it as Scottish Bluebells. No idea why because I didn't live in Scotland. I love how different places have different versions of things, I find it quite interesting.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Just seen the name Boden and also an alternative spelling for it - Beauden...
i actually quite like beauden 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️

there’s a new zealand rugby player called beauden barrett and i always liked his name.

Reactions: 1
just why?! i wouldn't even pronounce those two names the same - Fenix looks like it would be pronounced Fenn-Ix, so the poor kid will spend his life correcting both spellings and pronunciation, and will undoubtedly resort to using the nickname Fenn or Nick to save all the hassle. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Bloody hyphens everywhere! It used to be just the surnames that got hyphenated, now it's the first names as well.

Just dealt with someone called "Lillyarnah" 🤮 and another called "Lily-Maii" (for when May, Mae and Mai are just not cool enough anymore).

Also, when watching a US TV show last night, I was reminded of how they use "Topher" as an abbreviation of "Christopher". I think it sounds awful.

• Sick
Reactions: 8
Also, when watching a US TV show last night, I was reminded of how they use "Topher" as an abbreviation of "Christopher". I think it sounds awful.
i used to know someone who went by the nickname Toph, short for Christopher - pronounced like the beginning of the word "toffee". not the best, but arguably better than Chris, especially as there were so many kids named Chris as the time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

also, just gonna leave this here....! 🤣🤣

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I’m seeing an unpleasant trend for double-barrelled middle names. Someone on Mumsnet wants to call their kid Luca Aaron-Stanley. Horrific!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.