Names You Can't Stand #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My little girls name is Isla, but because my family are originally from Islay. When we chose it it wasn't a popular name and now unfortunately it is. It seems to be losing popularity a little now though thankfully. But we still love it. Said in a proper Scottish accent it sounds lovely. Never heard anyone say slimy before thats a new one.
literally just coming home from scotland and can confirm that isla sounds better there - the accent makes the “eye” at the beginning much prettier. i’ll allow it 😉😉

Reactions: 5
I’m not sure if my dog’s name is acceptable now haha. It’s not Gillian but it is Mavis
That's quirky enough to be cute though! (like calling a mouse Derek! 😄) but Gillian just seems like a nice regular everyday type of name if that makes sense.

Oh and I know someone who has a cat called Trevor 😂

How could someone look at a dog and think I'll call her Gillian?! 😂🙈
Milly is a very sweet name 💕
We got Milly from a dogs home. If the dog doesn't have a name, they're named after the person who found them.

We've had a Jacko the Jack Russell (it suited him so we kept it) and we currently have a Molly.

I've met dogs Eric, Bertie and Douglas. Douglas has a nephew called Jasper.

Reactions: 1
at a playground the other day and there was an Otis and Dexter. Otis is just dorky as anything and Dexter is a well-known fictional serial killer. Nice

• Haha
We got Milly from a dogs home. If the dog doesn't have a name, they're named after the person who found them.

We've had a Jacko the Jack Russell (it suited him so we kept it) and we currently have a Molly.

I've met dogs Eric, Bertie and Douglas. Douglas has a nephew called Jasper.
I've worked in dog rescue centres and never heard of this. Usually they're just given a name from staff suggestions or the dogs physical attributes/ personality.
That's such a nice idea to use the name them of those who found them 💕

Reactions: 2
I've worked in dog rescue centres and never heard of this. Usually they're just given a name from staff suggestions or the dogs physical attributes/ personality.
That's such a nice idea to use the name them of those who found them 💕
Fast forward 20 years…”the dog didn’t have a name so we named her after the girl who brought him in. This is NEVAEH….,it’s hEaVEn SPellEd BacKWarDs” o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 31
at a playground the other day and there was an Otis and Dexter. Otis is just dorky as anything and Dexter is a well-known fictional serial killer. Nice
Dexter to me is a nerdy one. Has his own lab and everything

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Neveah heaven backwards so umm Hell?

Anything that I associate with chavs. 😂. So Alfie, Reggie, Ronnie, Frankie. Ect
Then double barrelled girls names like Ellie-Mai or Tommy-Lee for boys.
Mercedes, Porcha, ect, cars and brand names are a no.

Chester… makes me think of Charlie Chester.

Sebastian… He was an hole so I don’t like the name. 😂

anything Disney! Disney is overrated

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I hate gangster names too. Vinnie, Lennie, Ronnie, Reggie 🤢 I mean, if you want your kid to sound like a thug from day one, go ahead.

Reggie seems to be the most popular locally. I can think of at least three I know, all within the last three years or so.

I quite like Otis, for the musical connection ( Otis Redding), but Dexter I now either associate with the serial killer in the eponymous TV show or the cartoon one with a laboratory.

Seen on IG, twin boys Atticus and Atlas and their baby sister Artemis... and a dog called Archer
Atticus is my not-so-secret favourite « out there » name ( love To Kill A Mockingbird and the character with that name in it), and I quite like Artemis and Atlas too, as a mythology nerd. However, all paired together is a bit much, all the same initial and really close if not identical second letters!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Unfortunately I just think of Otis the aardvark from cbbc in the ‘90s!!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
literally just coming home from scotland and can confirm that isla sounds better there - the accent makes the “eye” at the beginning much prettier. i’ll allow it 😉😉
We have an English health visitor and every time she says her name it makes me cringe...it just sounds really awkward and like she's saying "eela" 😂

Reactions: 1
According to the many teachers in my family who I spoke to lay night about naff names, the only thing good that’s come out of the name Isla is the recognition of the silent S in “island” by children.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.