Names You Can't Stand #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Names that should be shortened versions but they're called that...think Dougie, Reggie, Lennie etc...I just don't like it!
Yes! This is my biggest bug bear. Just call them Douglas and shorten it as a nickname.

My sister has a shortened name as her name along the lines of Vicky instead of Victoria and its just weird. She always gets people assume her name is Victoria when it isn't. And it just looks unprofessional on her CV for example

Reactions: 5
I have the burden of that dreaded double name shite. Why give your kid a name that they, you and everyone else in their life is never going to use🤦
I actually prefer my shortened name. It does my head in having to explain all the time, especially for official documents. The shortened version of my name is now more popular than the full version so I welcome this new trend.
We live in a world where people are naming their kids rocky, archer, dax, hunter, pixie, meadow yet people get worked up when someone uses Freddie alone and not Frederick shortened to Freddie 😅
Same with Ben, some don't like the full length version so why shouldn't they choose Ben on its own.

I have the burden of that dreaded double name shite. Why give your kid a name that they, you and everyone else in their life is never going to use🤦
I actually prefer my shortened name. It does my head in having to explain all the time, especially for official documents. The shortened version of my name is now more popular than the full version so I welcome this new trend.
We live in a world where people are naming their kids rocky, archer, dax, hunter, pixie, meadow yet people get worked up when someone uses Freddie alone and not Frederick shortened to Freddie 😅
Same with Ben, some don't like the full length version so why shouldn't they choose Ben on its own.
I know a Ben(jamin) who was Benji socially for years and years, then decided he wanted to be Ben when we both started at the same school, aged about 15.
Ben can also be short for Benedict, I think. Give your child the full name and let them decide on a nickname they like that only gets used by friends/family, and let them have a full name for their job, that doesn’t make them sound like a little kid!
Another offensive name I heard on YouTube: Bradie, for a little girl. Hideous!

Reactions: 1
i agree. if you have absolutely no intention of ever calling your child by a full name - like Frederick - because you love the name Freddie, just name him Freddie! as you say, the whole "it's not professional" argument isn't relevant nowadays, with kids called Dolly, Petal, Cove and Leaf etc - a guy called Freddie is not going to be rejected from jobs etc based on the name on their CV simply because it's a shortened version of a full name, rather than Frederick.

plus names like Freddie/Benji/Teddy still have nickname options - Fred/Ben/Ted - for when the kid is older, because i appreciate that Teddy and Freddie etc have a kinda cutesy, childlike vibe that a grown man may not want to be known by. and tbh, i definitely prefer names like Freddie or Benji more than those poor kids lumbered with names like Braydon or Nevaeh. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s the people who name their children after “obvious” movie and tv characters. There was a wave of Khaleesis and other GoT names. Katniss a few years ago too. There was a young woman on Reddit whose parents named her and her siblings after Harry Potter characters and she was raging.

Note to self: don’t name your kids after characters before the series finishes.

Reactions: 3
It’s the people who name their children after “obvious” movie and tv characters. There was a wave of Khaleesis and other GoT names. Katniss a few years ago too. There was a young woman on Reddit whose parents named her and her siblings after Harry Potter characters and she was raging.

yeah, there was definitely a lot of girls named Hermione, plus Bella during the Twilight's popularity, and then Aria and Khaleesi during GoT. there will undoubtedly be a huge rise in the number of kids named Maeve and Otis due to sex education, and names inspired by Bridgerton, like Daphne, Bridget, Penelope and Eloise, and Anthony. and Colin. names inspired by popular TV shows. and movies definitely make it easy to predict a person’s age, because they were obviously named at a time that whatever series was popular!

it's certainly one way of ensuring that your kid will have the same name as half the other kids in their class! 🤣

yeah, there was definitely a lot of girls named Hermione, plus Bella during the Twilight's popularity, and then Aria and Khaleesi during GoT. there will undoubtedly be a huge rise in the number of kids named Maeve and Otis due to sex education, and names inspired by Bridgerton, like Daphne, Bridget, Penelope and Eloise, and Anthony. and Colin. names inspired by popular TV shows. and movies definitely make it easy to predict a person’s age, because they were obviously named at a time that whatever series was popular!

it's certainly one way of ensuring that your kid will have the same name as half the other kids in their class! 🤣
I don't think Colin will be making a comeback. ☺

I feel sorry for a work colleague, she called her daughter Elsa just before Frozen came out and now tells everyone that she got there first.

• Haha
Reactions: 9

khaleesi drives me crazy because it’s not even her name, it’s her title 🤣

i used to work with a harry potter, born well before the books, and he used to jokingly say “i was here first” if people commented but i imagine it got annoying after a while.

i genuinely like the name alexa but i feel sorry for anyone named it now! these companies should really consider popularity before picking an actual person’s name for their products 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 7
I work with an Alexa and we have to whisper her name on Zoom meetings or technology goes wild.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I don't think Colin will be making a comeback. ☺

I feel sorry for a work colleague, she called her daughter Elsa just before Frozen came out and now tells everyone that she got there first.
i mean, I don't think Colin will be topping any popular names charts, but i definitely think it will increase in popularity as a result of Bridgerton! 🤷🏻‍♂️

One of my poor sons has a Kapryce in his class and I feel so sorry for her as she's a beautiful little girl, slapped with a horrendous name!

Reactions: 4
English girls called Amelie.

You never heard it until the film was released. Then for ages you’d hear proper English lasses yelling “Ammer-leh!” across the playground in my town 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I watched a film last night and on the credit roll at the end there was an actress called Sheri Moon Zombie 😥

• Haha

I have a friend who is Mexican but her mother named her Hiroko after an anime character (they have no Japanese ancestry, mum at the time was a young teenager.) She says it's annoying that no one can ever spell it or they try to write it in a more Mexican way (Xiroco)

I went to school with someone who named her daughter Terra, this was supposed to be Tara after a character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She apparently also likes that it means "earth" and doesn't mind it being a homonym for terror

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.