Names you can’t stand #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Here are some I detest, how anyone can look at a baby and inflict these monstrous names on them is beyond my comprehension:

Deirdre
Bridget
Wanda
Cheryl
Mavis
Maud
Winifred
Freda
Sheila
Gail
Griselda
Una
Norma
Ruth
Tracey
Sharon
Mildred

Funnily enough there are way more female names I loathe than male ones. I listed some in a previous post ages ago and can't come up with any more. Think if I'd hadchildrenI would have found it far easier to name a boatman a girl. 😁

I just abhor the trend for names like Elsie-Mae and so on that certain sections of our society seem to love - those girls will be pigeonholed for the rest of their lives because of those names.

Ooh let me see what I can come up with. 🤣

Marjorie always reminds me of Margarine. 🤣

Jean because I knew a Jean who was a horrible old bat. 😁

Clive, oh my word, the best thing to be called Clive is probably a dog or cat. 🤣

Brian, marginally on a par with Clive. 🤣

Clifford - see Clive above! 🤣

Boris, should be a name for an animal only. 😂
Haha, I had a boss called Clive once and he was a complete tosser!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
True enough, but if you’re in England you’re setting your child up for a world of pain. ‘Oh my names aylee spelled the Scottish way.’...for the next 70 years. It’s just cruel.
Cruel is a bit of a stretch. Of the things parents could do to a kid, calling them a Celtic name in England doesn’t meet that definition. 😂

I mean, are we not one big diverse “better together” nation after all? I don’t lose my mind when I come across Welsh or Irish names. If I can’t say it, I’ll ask the person how to say it. If anything, turn it into a wee conversation opener. Allow kids to make new friends and all. I don’t think that’s cruelty.

This 100%. I remember a substitute teacher in school doing the roll call and he got to a girl called Caoimhe, he paused and snorted and said "I'm not saying that, ridiculous" the girl was so embarrassed - even when she told him how it was pronounced he laughed again in a really derisive way. (This was a mixed religion secondary school in Northern Ireland with a majority protestant students/teachers so you can imagine how all this was perceived...)
That is so tit! 😡 Honestly hope he’s not teaching still. He’ll be over run with Caoimhe’s now 😂 Just refusing to take register!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I agree and also find long names that the parents never shorten ridiculous. One boy in my daughter's class is called Benjamin and is never ever called Ben. She corrects his friends if they call him Ben. I find it so controlling.
It’s his name- not her’s. People need to remember a child is their own person.

I wouldn’t say it’s cruel to give a child a name that needs to be explained. My name is never spelt right, not even in emails. Does not bother me in the slightest.

Reactions: 5
My Sister in Law already has one child from a previous relationship she’s now in her teens.

Her daughters name is double barrelled and when I was first introduced to my brothers step daughter I would sometimes shorten it, more as an affectionate thing (I grew up where my name was shortened as was lots of family members around me).

The mother insisted it was “ *****-Louise”
The daughter never said anything but could tell she felt so uncomfortable.
I apologised as I know some people hate their name being shortened but FGS it was just me using the first name? 😂

Anyways they’ve since had a daughter themselves and I was PRAYING it wouldn’t be some stupid name or even a double barrelled one. Thank goodness it’s not! Sigh of relief 😳

Call me a complete witch, but do some mothers not realise how rough some double barrelled names sound sometimes? Names can be whether we like it or not can give out a first impression to the people we meet in life.
Obviously you shouldn’t just go on judging someone on a name but sometimes think some parents really don’t do their kids any favours at all. 🥴
I have taught more than one teenager with a double barrelled first name AND a double barrelled last name!

A school I was teaching in recently there were about 15 Amy-Leigh’s. And a whole host of spellings of them. One class had 3, and all spelt differently.

Reactions: 3
I’ve a very different Irish name that is spelt completely different to the way it’s pronounced and I moved to England. I hated it when I was young and now I love it as I’m instantly identifiable as Irish and it’s a great conversation starter. There’s nothing wrong with naming your children in line with your heritage even if you live in a different country, if you moved to Dubai let’s say, would you name your child an English name or an Arab name?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’ve a very different Irish name that is spelt completely different to the way it’s pronounced and I moved to England. I hated it when I was young and now I love it as I’m instantly identifiable as Irish and it’s a great conversation starter. There’s nothing wrong with naming your children in line with your heritage even if you live in a different country, if you moved to Dubai let’s say, would you name your child an English name or an Arab name?
To be fair, the OP did say *English* people giving their children Irish names so it's not a valid comparison.

Reactions: 2
Amelia!
My partner says it’s sounds like the name of a disease, “did you hear about poor Mary she’s at a getting Amelia”

Lily- know about 5 of them
Katie- as above!
Jayden/cayden/Hayden
Kyle
Layla/Kayla
Senan
Tadgh

• Haha
Reactions: 4
To be fair, the OP did say *English* people giving their children Irish names so it's not a valid comparison.
Naming kids with names from other cultures isn't exclusive to english people. I worked with an african woman named carol which has irish links and I also worked with a german woman called denise which has french links.

Reactions: 3
I lived on a rough street in Northern England, a neighbour 3 doors down had a son named Jean-Paul. She was a good mother but loud etc. I used to hear her bellow 'bleeping come here Jean-Paul' and it had to be said in a French way too. Sounded ridiculous and the lad used to go to her once summoned and she would give him a hefty whack. I doubt he still goes by that name now.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Cruel is a bit of a stretch. Of the things parents could do to a kid, calling them a Celtic name in England doesn’t meet that definition. 😂
I think keeping the proper spellings is lovely actually. It honours the names as they should be instead of trying to anglicise them. ‘Aylee’ is only an approximation anyway and not actually how everyone would pronounce it depending on where in Scotland you’re from

Some names are dull: Lynsey, Tracey, Sharon, Sheila, Margaret, Kerry, Ann, Leanne, Carol, Neil, Steven, Ian..names that aren't offensive just so generic and boring!

Reactions: 11
Anyone else find the whole 'names with a meaning' thing odd? That Sophia means wise or Emma means steadfast - really?

I'm sure it was all thought up by Hallmark to sell stuff. Who originally decides on what the names mean anyway?

Please don't get mad but Ellie/Eleanor. They're always cunts! 😡

• Haha
Reactions: 16
There were twins at my school called maxine and michaela and they had two other sisters millicent and melanie and a brother malachi

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
I’m going to be *that* person but Eilidh is Scottish, not Irish.
Being a Scot I’ve met my fair share of girls named Eilidh. Most people know how to pronounce it here as it’s common, but when folk struggle, it’s pronounced for them and then it’s never an issue.

What I hate is when people (adults) look at Irish/Scottish/Welsh or any “foreign” names and make a production like “what the hell is THAT?!?” Instead of asking politely how to pronounce their name. It’s rude as hell and makes folk just look ignorant (in my view) The examples above, is it seriously a possibility that people are naming their child eyelid? 🙄🙄

Would much prefer an Aofie or Eilidh over another Aimae-Lexii or some other misspelt easy to pronounce in English monstrosity.
You articulated this perfectly, I think if it's obviously a foreign name then it's purely just rude to imply it's a ridiculous name if you (or any other English person) simply isn't familiar but it's perfectly valid if it's a common ame just with a daft spelling ...for example I once knew a woman considering calling her daughter "Maakenzae" instead of "Mckenzie" just so it was "different".

My husband is Irish and really wanted a traditionally Irish name for our daughter, I was open to the idea but when it came to suggestions I couldn't pronounce most of them, never mind spell them without aid so we ending up agreeing on something that has celtic origins but is easily spelt from the pronunciation.

Also, my least favourite names
For girls:
Anything double barrelled that ends in mae/mai/may or Rose.
Lexi
Sophie
Kayleigh
Sienna
Arabella
Ava
Louise
Zara

For boys:
Rex
Roscoe
Chase
Chance
Jasper
...pretty much anything currently trendy that sounds like a dogs name.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.