Names you can’t stand #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My Sister in Law already has one child from a previous relationship she’s now in her teens.

Her daughters name is double barrelled and when I was first introduced to my brothers step daughter I would sometimes shorten it, more as an affectionate thing (I grew up where my name was shortened as was lots of family members around me).

The mother insisted it was “ *****-Louise”
The daughter never said anything but could tell she felt so uncomfortable.
I apologised as I know some people hate their name being shortened but FGS it was just me using the first name? 😂

Anyways they’ve since had a daughter themselves and I was PRAYING it wouldn’t be some stupid name or even a double barrelled one. Thank goodness it’s not! Sigh of relief 😳

Call me a complete witch, but do some mothers not realise how rough some double barrelled names sound sometimes? Names can be whether we like it or not can give out a first impression to the people we meet in life.
Obviously you shouldn’t just go on judging someone on a name but sometimes think some parents really don’t do their kids any favours at all. 🥴
I agree and also find long names that the parents never shorten ridiculous. One boy in my daughter's class is called Benjamin and is never ever called Ben. She corrects his friends if they call him Ben. I find it so controlling.

Reactions: 6
Hyphenated names need to go in the bin. To me they scream trailer trash, especially when one half of it is -Mai, -Lexi, -Beau and so on.

Also not a fan of surnames as first names, unless it's one parent's surname or other family name being used.

Reactions: 23
I agree and also find long names that the parents never shorten ridiculous. One boy in my daughter's class is called Benjamin and is never ever called Ben. She corrects his friends if they call him Ben. I find it so controlling.
100% agree.

Hyphenated names need to go in the bin. To me they scream trailer trash, especially when one half of it is -Mai, -Lexi, -Beau and so on.

Also not a fan of surnames as first names, unless it's one parent's surname or other family name being used.
Depends on the surname but the name Mackenzie is vile.
Where I come from there are a lot of Lexi’s due to a well known tv programme in the 90s that was on BBC Scotland. Was okay when it was seldom used but now it’s sooo common!

I actually went to school with a girl called Onya too. Like how ?! Is that a nice name to name your child?
Always reminded me of Onion 😐

Reactions: 8
100% agree.

Depends on the surname but the name Mackenzie is vile.
Where I come from there are a lot of Lexi’s due to a well known tv programme in the 90s that was on BBC Scotland. Was okay when it was seldom used but now it’s sooo common!

I actually went to school with a girl called Onya too. Like how ?! Is that a nice name to name your child?
Always reminded me of Onion 😐
Haha, my daughter has an Onya in her class but it's spelt Aine. I think it's Irish but might easily be wrong.

Haha, my daughter has an Onya in her class but it's spelt Aine. I think it's Irish but might easily be wrong.
I just googled it there before you commented ! I thinks it is after the Irish spelling. They could have kept that instead, Onya doesn’t look pleasing to the eyes on paper 😂😂

Reactions: 2
Always grates on me when people give it attitude if you need to ask how their name is pronounced or spelled.

I used to work with a lindsay and when anyone asked 'how are you spelling lindsay' she'd sarcastically say, 'the proper way...L.I.N.D.S.A.Y' when their are at least
twelve spelling variations of that name.
I also got an eyeroll when I had to take notes at a meeting and asked a woman how her name Eithne was spelled.
I don't get why their so touchy especially if they are obscure names. Blame your parents not others. I've got a dodgy surname which I always have to spell out and pronounce but I don't get stroppy about it.

Reactions: 12
There's a teen mum who named her child Babiee.
I'm 100% serious.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I don't like giving children a nickname as their name. At least give them the proper name (nothing stopping you calling them by their shortened version) so they have a choice whether to use the nickname or not in later life i.e. Archie, Kit, Ronnie, Nelly, Ellie etc.

Reactions: 12
Names that aren't spelt to reflect how they're pronounced! 🤬

For example Elle for "Ellie", how is that helpful when trying to say their name when written down?! 🤦🏼‍♀️

Paediatric nurse here 🤗 I’ve had an Often, Moist, Fuc, Ass. Also hate them old names being made modern Beatrix, Wilfred, Winifred etc 🤢🤢🤢

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
People who aren’t Irish giving their kids really ridiculously spelt Irish names. Eg Aoife and Eilidh (pronounced aylee looool). How many people in England are going to know it’s aylee and not eyelid??

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
People who aren’t Irish giving their kids really ridiculously spelt Irish names. Eg Aoife and Eilidh (pronounced aylee looool). How many people in England are going to know it’s aylee and not eyelid??
I know english people who have irish parents choosing irish names but i don't think its just people in england giving kids ridiculously spelt names. Americans are worse for tweaking name spellings. My mum is irish american and hates her name because she always has to spell it out to folks. I know of an ex colleagues who was scottish and called her daughter roisin but insisted it be pronounced rush een and not row sheen 🤷.

Reactions: 3
My hairdresser named her baby TEDDY. I don't know if he'll be able to bear all the growls at school, and may need to paws for honey snacks.
Case in point to my post above! Theodore is a lovely name. Call your child Theodore and nickname him Teddy 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 3
I’m going to be *that* person but Eilidh is Scottish, not Irish.
Being a Scot I’ve met my fair share of girls named Eilidh. Most people know how to pronounce it here as it’s common, but when folk struggle, it’s pronounced for them and then it’s never an issue.

What I hate is when people (adults) look at Irish/Scottish/Welsh or any “foreign” names and make a production like “what the hell is THAT?!?” Instead of asking politely how to pronounce their name. It’s rude as hell and makes folk just look ignorant (in my view) The examples above, is it seriously a possibility that people are naming their child eyelid? 🙄🙄

Would much prefer an Aofie or Eilidh over another Aimae-Lexii or some other misspelt easy to pronounce in English monstrosity.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
I’m going to be *that* person but Eilidh is Scottish, not Irish.
Being a Scot I’ve met my fair share of girls named Eilidh. Most people know how to pronounce it here as it’s common, but when folk struggle, it’s pronounced for them and then it’s never an issue.

What I hate is when people (adults) look at Irish/Scottish/Welsh or any “foreign” names and make a production like “what the hell is THAT?!?” Instead of asking politely how to pronounce their name. It’s rude as hell and makes folk just look ignorant (in my view) The examples above, is it seriously a possibility that people are naming their child eyelid? 🙄🙄

Would much prefer an Aofie or Eilidh over another Aimae-Lexii or some other misspelt easy to pronounce in English monstrosity.
True enough, but if you’re in England you’re setting your child up for a world of pain. ‘Oh my names aylee spelled the Scottish way.’...for the next 70 years. It’s just cruel.

This 100%. I remember a substitute teacher in school doing the roll call and he got to a girl called Caoimhe, he paused and snorted and said "I'm not saying that, ridiculous" the girl was so embarrassed - even when she told him how it was pronounced he laughed again in a really derisive way. (This was a mixed religion secondary school in Northern Ireland with a majority protestant students/teachers so you can imagine how all this was perceived...)

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.