Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Midwife here so get to witness lots of gorgeous names as well as the sublimely ridiculous. All time favourite has to be the lady who love Beyoncé and Shakera so called her baby Shabonce 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 145

Meh

Chatty Member
People who aren’t Irish giving their kids really ridiculously spelt Irish names. Eg Aoife and Eilidh (pronounced aylee looool). How many people in England are going to know it’s aylee and not eyelid??
I’m going to be *that* person but Eilidh is Scottish, not Irish.
Being a Scot I’ve met my fair share of girls named Eilidh. Most people know how to pronounce it here as it’s common, but when folk struggle, it’s pronounced for them and then it’s never an issue.

What I hate is when people (adults) look at Irish/Scottish/Welsh or any “foreign” names and make a production like “what the hell is THAT?!?” Instead of asking politely how to pronounce their name. It’s rude as hell and makes folk just look ignorant (in my view) The examples above, is it seriously a possibility that people are naming their child eyelid? 🙄🙄

Would much prefer an Aofie or Eilidh over another Aimae-Lexii or some other misspelt easy to pronounce in English monstrosity.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 53

Calalilly

So in my salon today and a girl is talking about her children, She's three , two boys named Skyler and Billy Sailor and a little girl named China doll . Like why .
Poor kids

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
On my fb today someone I know was tagged in a post wishing two twin girls happy birthday. The girls names were Jacie-Rai and Olivia-Mai 🤦🏼‍♀️ I read the comments on it and there was a mum wishing them happy birthday from a Charlie-John!!! All three names are horrific!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27

hiya_hun

VIP Member
Both the worst I've ever heard are of twins

1. Winner & Successful (2 boys)

2. Oakley-Gray & Ocean-Bleu (again both boys)

😭😭😭

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 27

Sb123k

I was in Primark earlier this week and a woman was shouting for her child...

Narnia-Rose 🙈

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 26

WilmaHun

VIP Member
This thread always reminds me of that time Katie Hopkins said she hates geographical names all whilst her child is called India

• Haha
Reactions: 25

lilamay

VIP Member
When they married, Ollie and Gareth from Made in Chelsea decided to have a double-barrelled surname, despite already having the same surname! So it became Locke-Locke. 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

Lalla

VIP Member
Hyphenated names need to go in the bin. To me they scream trailer trash, especially when one half of it is -Mai, -Lexi, -Beau and so on.

Also not a fan of surnames as first names, unless it's one parent's surname or other family name being used.

mcfeez

VIP Member
What I hate is when people (adults) look at Irish/Scottish/Welsh or any “foreign” names and make a production like “what the hell is THAT?!?” Instead of asking politely how to pronounce their name. It’s rude as hell and makes folk just look ignorant (in my view) The examples above, is it seriously a possibility that people are naming their child eyelid? 🙄🙄
This 100%. I remember a substitute teacher in school doing the roll call and he got to a girl called Caoimhe, he paused and snorted and said "I'm not saying that, ridiculous" the girl was so embarrassed - even when she told him how it was pronounced he laughed again in a really derisive way. (This was a mixed religion secondary school in Northern Ireland with a majority protestant students/teachers so you can imagine how all this was perceived...)

• Sad
  • Angry

Belulah

VIP Member
I’ve only met Nevaeh’s who have pronounced it Ne-vay-uh-it’s-heaven-backwards. All said in one breath.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 22

Pinkblush

VIP Member
I'm put off names that sound/look like other words and how accents change the sound

Gracie - greasy in my accent
Grace - grease
Ava/eva - you wouldn't know which one I was saying as no difference with my accent
Violet - I see violent, its just one letter short
Herbie - herpes
Bhodi - bogie
Isabelle - its a bell
Luna - lunatic
Aliyah - a liar

• Haha

Nellienoo193

- Aurora... feels very try hard.
- Any names spelled wrong in the most ridiculous way - Eviee, Laylah
- Any ‘americany’ names Kayden/Jayden/Jace/Brock etc 🤮
- mai names self explanatory
- My mums boss (surname Mann) was overjoyed to introduce his first born girl “Norma” after his mum and Leah after his wife’s sister. Norma Leah Mann... say it out loud. NOT a joke 😂

• Haha
  • Wow