Names you can’t stand #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was in the toilets of a shopping centre last week and there was a girl shouting for her approx 4 year old who was named 'Arabella'

this was in a suburb of Manchester though so it was pronounced 'AROHBELLOHHHHHHHH' 😂 was pissing myself, grateful for the masks sometimes 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I was in the toilets of a shopping centre last week and there was a girl shouting for her approx 4 year old who was named 'Arabella'

this was in a suburb of Manchester though so it was pronounced 'AROHBELLOHHHHHHHH' 😂 was pissing myself, grateful for the masks sometimes 😂
Omg Arabella😂 I can never take this name seriously
Growing up, my neighbour had a greyhound dog called Arabella, so I've always made that name/dog association and whenever I hear a person called this name I can't help but laugh

It's such a puppy name in my head😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Omg Arabella😂 I can never take this name seriously
Growing up, my neighbour had a greyhound dog called Arabella, so I've always made that name/dog association and whenever I hear a person called this name I can't help but laugh

It's such a puppy name in my head😂
Does anyone ever look at the "overheard in waitrose" page? Arabella reminds me so much of that :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 6
How about Demi? Yeah, I’ve known a few ..... what’s the expression ‘The lift never went all the way to the top’ with any of them.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I didn't say it was wrong; I just don't like these names / find them jarring (again unless the person is mixed race and the name encompasses their multiple cultures or ethnicities.) My fiancé is a white American, when I marry him I'm keeping my own name - both because it's what women usually do in my culture and because my legal name is a Chinese name that I think would look and sound godawful with his surname. You're entitled to your opinion; I've come across various comments on these threads that I would consider racist / classist but then I think that comes up inevitably whenever names are discussed
I think I somewhat understand this. I do think if two people come from similar cultures (yes I believe people of foreign descent can immigrate to european countries and become european and vice versa) then it doesn't sound as odd.

I don't think there's anything from with taking your spouse's last name even if you're not mixed race, if he's from a different culture then you. But if your respective cultures are that far removed from each other then it can sound odd.

Reactions: 3
My entire life I endured my name (not this one obviously!) and I hated it!

All I ever got was "Eh?", "How d'you spell that then?" or "Thats weird" even though it's actually a very old Irish name that for whatever reason my parents alighted on despite there being no Irish connections, yet I would have given anything back then to have been a Jackie or a Rosemary - something, ANYTHING other than what I got saddled with! Instead I got ripped by other kids or teachers even questioning if I even knew that my name was obviously spelt wrong and tried to correct it for me.

Its different now I'm ancient because I accept it and I'm used to being asked how do you spell that after all these years, and I have only ever met three or four others with the same moniker as me. Yes its nice to be different in a world full of sameness :)

One of the girls I went to uni with has 3 girls - Summer, Skye and her newest baby girl.... Stormi 😔🤣
She's obviously a Kardashian fan ;)

Reactions: 2
Just anything double barrell. Tilly-Mae, Demi-Leigh, Lily-Rose. I once dated a guy with a daughter called Daisy-Boo. Dreadful. Twee and chavy. I also hate made up names like Kariah, Shanay, Arshani..etc... Another friend has a boy called Herbie which I think is horrific. How can a name like that take someone though life? Imagine a barrister or a police officer called bleeping Herbie. Ridiculous.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
I think I somewhat understand this. I do think if two people come from similar cultures (yes I believe people of foreign descent can immigrate to european countries and become european and vice versa) then it doesn't sound as odd.

I don't think there's anything from with taking your spouse's last name even if you're not mixed race, if he's from a different culture then you. But if your respective cultures are that far removed from each other then it can sound odd.
I don’t think it sounds odd at all but I can see why people would! I’m white Irish, my fiancé is Japanese. And when we get married I’ll be mrs rebremm *japanese surname* 🤷🏻‍♀️

My entire life I endured my name (not this one obviously!) and I hated it!

All I ever got was "Eh?", "How d'you spell that then?" or "Thats weird" even though it's actually a very old Irish name that for whatever reason my parents alighted on despite there being no Irish connections, yet I would have given anything back then to have been a Jackie or a Rosemary - something, ANYTHING other than what I got saddled with! Instead I got ripped by other kids or teachers even questioning if I even knew that my name was obviously spelt wrong and tried to correct it for me.

Its different now I'm ancient because I accept it and I'm used to being asked how do you spell that after all these years, and I have only ever met three or four others with the same moniker as me. Yes its nice to be different in a world full of sameness :)

She's obviously a Kardashian fan ;)
I’m the same, I have an Irish name but with Jewish parents 🤣

• Heart
Any Catrionas on here, only I know a Catriona who goes by the pronunciation as of it was spelt ‘Katrina’ but I was listening to the radio yesterday and they kept pronouncing Catrionas who had text in as ‘cat-tree-oh-nah’ what is the correct way to say it 🤣 I quite like the name I’m just confused 😂

I don’t think it sounds odd at all but I can see why people would! I’m white Irish, my fiancé is Japanese. And when we get married I’ll be mrs rebremm *japanese surname* 🤷🏻‍♀️
Congratulations! Perhaps odd was the wrong word? I just meant that they often don't flow together/you hear a stark contrast when you sound it out. Not a big deal though.

Jessa Duggar’s sons are called Spurgeon Elliot and Henry Wilberforce🤦🏼‍♀️

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Any Catrionas on here, only I know a Catriona who goes by the pronunciation as of it was spelt ‘Katrina’ but I was listening to the radio yesterday and they kept pronouncing Catrionas who had text in as ‘cat-tree-oh-nah’ what is the correct way to say it 🤣 I quite like the name I’m just confused 😂
I’ve heard of a few Catriona’s pronouncing their name as Katrina (my name) and it kinda bugs me like no that’s not how it’s spelt is it 😂

Jessa Duggar’s sons are called Spurgeon Elliot and Henry Wilberforce🤦🏼‍♀️
SPURGEON?! And I thought "Jinger" was bad ...

Reminds me of the episode of Law and Order: SVU based on the Duggars where the family had kids called Timber, Parky, and Brie. At least that was fictional

Reactions: 3
Same as the old lady names that are currently in fashion like Edith, Ava, Ada, Beryl etc I don’t like old man names being brought back and given to little kids! There’s a fair few Fraser, Keith, Grant, Struan, Murray, Ronnie and they’re little kids!

Who looks at their baby and is like aw look at little Grant, he’ll be such a mediocre accountant when he’s older god love him.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Same as the old lady names that are currently in fashion like Edith, Ava, Ada, Beryl etc I don’t like old man names being brought back and given to little kids! There’s a fair few Fraser, Keith, Grant, Struan, Murray, Ronnie and they’re little kids!

Who looks at their baby and is like aw look at little Grant, he’ll be such a mediocre accountant when he’s older god love him.
My son goes to school with a Keith and his brother Bert.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My son goes to school with a Keith and his brother Bert.
Bert 😂
There’s a Keith where I live as well, he’s 8 😂 his dad is Big Keith and then there’s a long line of Keiths that all came before him. Also Barry. Someone my husband knows named their baby Barry. Little Baby Barry.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
It’s the Gaelic way of spelling the English name Katrina, they are pronounced the same way.

Bert 😂
There’s a Keith where I live as well, he’s 8 😂 his dad is Big Keith and then there’s a long line of Keiths that all came before him. Also Barry. Someone my husband knows named their baby Barry. Little Baby Barry.
There’s an Instagrammer with boys, Edward and Wilfred. 😕

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.