Names you can’t stand #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
there is a whole generation of people (myself included) born in the 80s with the middle name louise, I swear half the girl in my school, of my age, had the same!
80s girls have the middle names Ann(e), Jane, Louise or Elizabeth.

Girls born within the last ten years or so all have Rose, Grace or May/Mae/Mai 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 13

Girls born within the last ten years or so all have Rose, Grace or May/Mae/Mai 😄
Both me and my 80s sister have those middle names :LOL: so this is slightly OT but i would be interested to know any non British people here, do you have the same kind of "fashion" for names as we seem to in the UK? like the whole list that is published every year of the most popular names etc seems bizarre really (I am british) but it does just seem to end in people thinking... wow this name wasn;t popular, I will call my child this... and then everyone thinking the same

Reactions: 4

I feel as thought I'm the only female born in the 80x without one of those names. Certainly felt that way at school!

• Haha
One of the girls I went to uni with has 3 girls - Summer, Skye and her newest baby girl.... Stormi 😔🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Graham
Malcolm
Gary
Sandra
Matthew

don’t know why anyone looks at a new born baby and calls them any of the above!

for recent chavvy names:
Jayden/kayden
Anything with a barrelled ‘mae’ or ‘Rae’ .. I.e ‘daisy-mae’ ‘ruby-mae’
It doesn’t make you unique or anything, it just sounds silly!

Reactions: 9
tit friends!!!! I’m a wee bit boozy and had a very horrible night with friends ganging up in me in “groups” of friends Lind this this I really felt like I wanted top myself for stuff like this

• Haha
Reactions: 1
tit friends!!!! I’m a wee bit boozy and had a very horrible night with friends ganging up in me in “groups” of friends Lind this this I really felt like I wanted top myself for stuff like this
Are you okay? x

Reactions: 1
Like me, born in 1978. A lot of females around my age have the middle name Marie. It seems more common if your first name ends in an A.
Me as well born 1974, my sister has Louise as her middle name. I find most people my age have either of these as a middle name.

- Aurora... feels very try hard.
- Any names spelled wrong in the most ridiculous way - Eviee, Laylah
- Any ‘americany’ names Kayden/Jayden/Jace/Brock etc 🤮
- mai names self explanatory
- My mums boss (surname Mann) was overjoyed to introduce his first born girl “Norma” after his mum and Leah after his wife’s sister. Norma Leah Mann... say it out loud. NOT a joke 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
I think this is a personal thing for me - I'm of Asian descent and have met many, many white guys with disgusting attitudes to East and South East Asian women. I've known quite a few well to do men who went for Asian or Eastern European trophy wives, and now all those women have names like "Mei-Ling Williamson", "Jelena McGillicuddy", "Piyamat Downey" and so on (not their real names, obviously, these are just examples.) I think it sounds AWFUL. Especially bad if she's from a culture where women keep their own names after marriage.

The reverse is also true. I have a close friend who lives in Japan and knows many expat women with no Japanese ancestry and names like "Judith Shiraishi", "Vicki Takemoto", "Amanda Kiyama" and so on which sound equally awful. It'd be different if the person were mixed race and that name took their multiple ethnicities into account, but as married names, they make me shudder
I may be speaking out of turn here as I’m not East/South East Asian but I find your comment low key racist. There’s nothing wrong with any person from any culture choosing to take on their spouse’s surname, even if the spouse is of a different culture.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I may be speaking out of turn here as I’m not East/South East Asian but I find your comment low key racist. There’s nothing wrong with any person from any culture choosing to take on their spouse’s surname, even if the spouse is of a different culture.
I didn't say it was wrong; I just don't like these names / find them jarring (again unless the person is mixed race and the name encompasses their multiple cultures or ethnicities.) My fiancé is a white American, when I marry him I'm keeping my own name - both because it's what women usually do in my culture and because my legal name is a Chinese name that I think would look and sound godawful with his surname. You're entitled to your opinion; I've come across various comments on these threads that I would consider racist / classist but then I think that comes up inevitably whenever names are discussed

- Any ‘americany’ names Kayden/Jayden/Jace/Brock etc 🤮
Reminds me of an episode of US Supernanny where she visited a family who had three or four daughters all with names like Kyleigh, Prysleigh, Brynleigh etc and then their little boy was just Brock. Come on, you couldn't give us Brockleigh?

My fiancé's name is made up of Normal name popular when he was born + two Americany surnames as middle names, both of which make up a weird/silly phrase together + surname. Similar to "Shane Fox River Jackson." I sometimes call him by the Fox River just to wind him up and he hates it

Stacey.

I don’t know anybody nice called Stacey.
I'm not fond of Stacey partly because when you play Go, the pieces that get discarded/"sacrificed" are called suteishi which sounds like Stacey and that's what it always makes me think of ...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.