Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nowt wrong with the former Polytechnics 🤣 my degree for my field is worth the exact same as the degree from other unis for the same job (specific degree I appreciate) but it means squat for many professions. Not on MN though obvs lol
I remember back in the early 1980s when a representative of the Engineering Society said that an engineering honours degree from our ancient university was worth less than a CNAA engineering degree from the world-class Central Institution (now a university) in the same city.

Reactions: 1
I don’t get the RG obsession.

I went to a *gasp* non Russel Group uni.

they didn’t join RG because they have one of the worlds leading research depts, and didn’t need the money or the marketing. Consistently ranks above oxbridge and one of the top in Europe.

I think our year had 100% employment, and most of us has people come knocking on our doors. I had Oxford Uni contact me to ask if I wanted to do a PhD with them, funded.

RG is one of the best sales tools I’ve ever seen. It’s somehow got people convinced RG is better, so they don’t even bother looking at non RG performance.

Reactions: 10
As we’ve said before on here. Loughborough isn’t a Russell Group Uni and is one of the Top Ten in the U.K. and it’s where most of Team GB go. St Andrews isn’t either and was recently rated higher than Oxbridge.

Reactions: 9
There’s a thread about inappropriate things that have happened to you that is feeding the perverts.

I reckon it was started innocently enough but the stories will be giving the pervs plenty of cheap thrills. There have even been posts on it asking people not to feed it.

Reactions: 7
There’s a thread about inappropriate things that have happened to you that is feeding the perverts.

I reckon it was started innocently enough but the stories will be giving the pervs plenty of cheap thrills. There have even been posts on it asking people not to feed it.
Yes, it's all gone very icky on there.

Reactions: 3
The thread that got me this morning was the lady who’s son was farrrrr too clever to go to mainstream school, but she couldn’t understand why she’d have to fill in forms about her finances to get him a bursary for a private school.

Get your genius 12 year old to explain to you why you’d need to show the school how you can’t afford it when you want them to fund his place.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
The thread that got me this morning was the lady who’s son was farrrrr too clever to go to mainstream school, but she couldn’t understand why she’d have to fill in forms about her finances to get him a bursary for a private school.

Get your genius 12 year old to explain to you why you’d need to show the school how you can’t afford it when you want them to fund his place.
That thread was hilarious

Reactions: 5
That thread was hilarious
I ended up feeling a bit sorry for her in the end (if it was true) as some of the replies were so spiteful. Then sparkling brook turned up with her trademark confused emojis and I couldn’t bear to read any more.

Reactions: 5
There's quite a few guilt tripping trolls posting on the various 'should I let my aged parent move in with myself, DC and DH' threads.

Reactions: 2
I ended up feeling a bit sorry for her in the end (if it was true) as some of the replies were so spiteful. Then sparkling brook turned up with her trademark confused emojis and I couldn’t bear to read any more.
I don’t think she meant it as bad as it came across. But I’m also imagining her child isn’t actually very bright at all just has a superiority complex 😂. My mother always told everyone who would listen, and myself that I was extremely intelligent, when infact I’m average at best just smarter than her 🤷🏽‍♀️😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
They all think their children are “extremely bright” yet they all needed 2 years of tutoring to get into grammar school. If you’re genuinely bright you don’t need any tutoring!
Oh and they’re also all tall and slim and sporty. No fat, short kids who sit on Minecraft all day, even though statistically that will be most kids….

• Haha
Reactions: 21
They do. They’re always going on about how much they hate the UK and how they want to emigrate or they’re applying for Irish passports and the UK isn’t much better than <insert second or third world country>, which is usually when someone from one of those countries comes along to say the UK is better or who do they they think they are talking about said country in such a manner. The people of MN are filled with utter self loathing and are absolute crashing snobs. They all think they’re incredibly well travelled as well because they once went camping in France or on an all inclusive to Egypt.

I didn’t vote for Brexit but I do find it amusing how every so often a thread pops up about how they’re still bitter about having ‘opportunities taken away from them’ like the Erasmus scheme (I’d never heard of it til MN) or having to pay import fees on expensive Venetian glass vases or some such. Those every day worries of ordinary people.
Ugh it's depressing isn't it?

An awful lot of them seem to be ex pats too. I think that's about as likely as their huge salaries...

Reactions: 4
The MN obsession with Russell Group universities is fascinating. I have never heard anyone else, anywhere, obsess about the RG as much as MNers.

Turns out I actually went to an RG uni. Discovered this around 10-15 years after graduation. And I bet the sniffy helicopter parents of MN would still sneer at it because it’s one of the less highly regarded ones 🤣

These types of parents are the worst. I expect she thought the school would be so desperate to have her son and his genius on board, they’d either wave him in no questions asked, or pay her for the privilege of his attendance.

Reactions: 6
They all think their children are “extremely bright” yet they all needed 2 years of tutoring to get into grammar school. If you’re genuinely bright you don’t need any tutoring!
Oh and they’re also all tall and slim and sporty. No fat, short kids who sit on Minecraft all day, even though statistically that will be most kids….
All children are tutored for grammar school and it isn't because they aren't bright or clever. At least that's the case where I live.

I dont know exact numbers but if the pass mark is 200, anything over that is a pass and gets you into a grammar school. Our local grammar school only offers 60 places to the first 60 highest scorers over the pass mark so say someone gets 300 as the highest, the next 59 below that get a place. If more than one gets the same score they offer it to the closest to the school. The children are being tutored to get into the top 60 to get the highest they can and not tutored just to pass

All children are tutored for grammar school and it isn't because they aren't bright or clever. At least that's the case where I live.

I dont know exact numbers but if the pass mark is 200, anything over that is a pass and gets you into a grammar school. Our local grammar school only offers 60 places to the first 60 highest scorers over the pass mark so say someone gets 300 as the highest, the next 59 below that get a place. If more than one gets the same score they offer it to the closest to the school. The children are being tutored to get into the top 60 to get the highest they can and not tutored just to pass
Me and my brother went to good grammar schools and neither of us were tutored, we just did some practise papers at home with our mum. Same with several of my friends.

Reactions: 6
Grammar schools are supposed to be for the academically very bright. If you need tutoring to pass the eleven plus you are not clever enough and will not be able to handle the pressure of a grammar school. The real reason they are so fixated on grammar schools is because they can’t afford to go private but don’t want their kids to mix with the riff raff at a bog standard comp.

Reactions: 13
Grammar schools are supposed to be for the academically very bright. If you need tutoring to pass the eleven plus you are not clever enough and will not be able to handle the pressure of a grammar school. The real reason they are so fixated on grammar schools is because they can’t afford to go private but don’t want their kids to mix with the riff raff at a bog standard comp.
I agree - the kids I know who got tutored heavily were in bottom sets and got mostly B’s anyway. Grammar school does push you upwards if you’re average and manage to get in, so I get why people tutor, but I think if you’re genuinely bright you shouldn’t need it (bar some practise to know the format).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.