Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ahh Sparklingbrook one of the resident hierarchical arseholes.
How very dare you! 🤣

Just so you all know, she has never changed her name - it's some kinda weird boast she trots out occasionally .
Although I suppose on MN that's an achievement 🤣!
Someone was asked to change their name one time when they used a name very similar to hers.

[Why do I remember ridiculous stuff like that and forget what I went into the local shop for! 😁]

• Haha
Reactions: 14
They all think their children are “extremely bright” yet they all needed 2 years of tutoring to get into grammar school. If you’re genuinely bright you don’t need any tutoring!
Oh and they’re also all tall and slim and sporty. No fat, short kids who sit on Minecraft all day, even though statistically that will be most kids….
There are various references to teen boys who eat like horses and devour whole loaves of bread in one sitting, but are all strapping rugby players. I've assumed this is MN code for "overweight". Girls don't get away with this sort of thing, a girl would get accused of stealing family food and made to pay for it if she did that.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
There are various references to teen boys who eat like horses and devour whole loaves of bread in one sitting, but are all strapping rugby players. I've assumed this is MN code for "overweight". Girls don't get away with this sort of thing, a girl would get accused of stealing family food and made to pay for it if she did that.
But their girls are always slim with tiny waists and long beautiful hair who attract modelling scouts every time they venture into town.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
All children are tutored for grammar school and it isn't because they aren't bright or clever. At least that's the case where I live.

I dont know exact numbers but if the pass mark is 200, anything over that is a pass and gets you into a grammar school. Our local grammar school only offers 60 places to the first 60 highest scorers over the pass mark so say someone gets 300 as the highest, the next 59 below that get a place. If more than one gets the same score they offer it to the closest to the school. The children are being tutored to get into the top 60 to get the highest they can and not tutored just to pass
Same here. My DS has autism and a slight LD so mixed with anxiety, he never sat it. This leaves three non-selective schools which all have issues. Sigh - I *hate* the 11+.

They'll soon only have Seasalt and Boden to source their clothes from

View attachment 1730729
I am quite sad about Joules because I own one of their ubiquitous yellow raincoats and a stripy harbour top [which is a horrible fit!?]

Reactions: 5
I went to grammar school and didn’t have a tutor. My partner also went to a grammar school and didn’t have a tutor. However we’re in our 30s now so perhaps it’s different these days 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 6
The baby name threads are always so snotty as well :) Ask your friends and family, not Mumsnet as they know your surname too so can advise how the whole thing sounds
And there’s always one person who says it reminds them of an ad in the 70s or something- newsflash, none of the kids peers are going to have heard that 😆

Reactions: 6
I went to grammar school and didn’t have a tutor. My partner also went to a grammar school and didn’t have a tutor. However we’re in our 30s now so perhaps it’s different these days 🤷🏼‍♀️
I went to one without a tutor too (same age as you), but by the time I left the school the number of applicants had more than doubled for the same number of places. It has got more difficult I think. That said, even in my year group there were kids who'd been tutored for literally years to get in, and some of them ended up with real mental health issues because they were getting Bs in their exams and by our school standards that was 'failing' :rolleyes:

Grammar schools work really well for the kids they do work for and are a completely miserable experience for the ones they don't suit. If you're having to tutor your kid from age 8 to get in they're probably going to be in the second group.

Reactions: 5
Grammar schools work really well for the kids they do work for and are a completely miserable experience for the ones they don't suit. If you're having to tutor your kid from age 8 to get in they're probably going to be in the second group.
MNers don't care as long as they can boast about the school. Hell, just do the best for your child and just lie on an anonymous forum if you feel ashamed.

Reactions: 4
The competition for grammar school places is so fierce now and the tests are getting harder as a result. Where I live the selective schools offer the majority of their places to kids in catchment who only have to exceed the pass mark (which is actually very achievable for a bright kid). But if you’re coming from out of catchment you have to score quite exceptionally high AND there are only a handful of places on offer.

Pretty much every kid will need some degree of tutoring for the 11+ because some of the maths components will not have been covered by the school curriculum.

I cannot believe I only found this thread this week. I bloody LOVE Mumsnet, it's absolute quality hilarity. To find out there's a Tattle has MADE MY LIFE.

Going back to the boot room/tack room... As someone who shoots and also wears boots 😂 I've always been told a gun cabinet should be within the house on an interior wall?

Anyway off to polish the labrador and re-wax me coat 😘

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I cannot believe I only found this thread this week. I bloody LOVE Mumsnet, it's absolute quality hilarity. To find out there's a Tattle has MADE MY LIFE.

Going back to the boot room/tack room... As someone who shoots and also wears boots 😂 I've always been told a gun cabinet should be within the house on an interior wall?

Anyway off to polish the labrador and re-wax me coat 😘
The only shots I do are the ones out of a bottle.🍸🍷🍹

I thought gun cabinets had to be double locked and inaccessible to anyone not licenced to carry a gun? I don't think many Mumsnetters are genuinely hunting, shooting, fishing types, no matter how hard they pretend they are.

• Haha

I thought gun cabinets had to be double locked and inaccessible to anyone not licenced to carry a gun? I don't think many Mumsnetters are genuinely hunting, shooting, fishing types, no matter how hard they pretend they are.

Yes they do. I was referring more to the location. Keys hidden and any ammunition well away.

They’re not, once I saw a post saying “As our family and therefore DD are rather naice and posh”… Posh people don’t use the word posh

Reactions: 10
Posh people don't tend to brag about how much money they have, and how much all their expensive clothes and jewellery cost, and how gifted and talented their privately educated offspring are. They also DGAF about whether people are upper class, middle class, working class or (like me) lower class.

• Heart
I just read a thread where someone used the phrase 'chunky of thigh' and it reminded me how much I hate this particular Mumsnetism. 'Large of boob' 'small of arse'. NOBODY REAL TALKS LIKE THIS.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
Today in moaning about trvial things...painted rocks.
I seen that 🤣 and someone blamed tik tok for the stupid trend. Its quite funny how worked up some people were getting on there

Grammar schools are supposed to be for the academically very bright. If you need tutoring to pass the eleven plus you are not clever enough and will not be able to handle the pressure of a grammar school. The real reason they are so fixated on grammar schools is because they can’t afford to go private but don’t want their kids to mix with the riff raff at a bog standard comp.
As I said its Tutoring to ensure they are getting at least a top 60 place and not tutored to pass.

It's simply not enough to get a score on or above the pass mark, you need to be getting almost full marks or as near as to get a place.

My child has a friend at the grammar school and his Mom was saying that 300 passed the eleven plus, 220 applied for this particular grammar and only the top 60 got a place, despite all passing. The ones who got the place, including her son, were tutored to a high a mark as possible.

The next nearest grammar school only takes 90 children and the next takes a 100 but that's about an hour and a half away in rush hour

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
I seen that 🤣 and someone blamed tik tok for the stupid trend. Its quite funny how worked up some people were getting on there

As I said its Tutoring to ensure they are getting at least a top 60 place and not tutored to pass.

It's simply not enough to get a score on or above the pass mark, you need to be getting almost full marks or as near as to get a place.

My child has a friend at the grammar school and his Mom was saying that 300 passed the eleven plus, 220 applied for this particular grammar and only the top 60 got a place, despite all passing. The ones who got the place, including her son, were tutored to a high a mark as possible.

The next nearest grammar school only takes 90 children and the next takes a 100 but that's about an hour and a half away in rush hour
Of course they’re worked up, painted rocks are destroying the ecosystem, killing animals and ending the planet as we speak! Apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I just read a thread where someone used the phrase 'chunky of thigh' and it reminded me how much I hate this particular Mumsnetism. 'Large of boob' 'small of arse'. NOBODY REAL TALKS LIKE THIS.
Hahaha I can see it now "How to look Parisian when you are large of Nork?"

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.