Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just seen a thread where someone’s posted that their husband should have been home with the kids an hour ago and they’re not answering their phone and they’re worried he’s ‘done something’.

Cue hundreds of ‘hope he’s back and ok’ posts and a couple of ‘phone the police!’ (because it’s been a whole hour) then after three hours of radio silence from the OP, she pops back with ‘oh, he went shopping’.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Just seen a thread where someone’s posted that their husband should have been home with the kids an hour ago and they’re not answering their phone and they’re worried he’s ‘done something’.

Cue hundreds of ‘hope he’s back and ok’ posts and a couple of ‘phone the police!’ (because it’s been a whole hour) then after three hours of radio silence from the OP, she pops back with ‘oh, he went shopping’.
What on earth do they think he’s done? I’d just think that OH had fucked off to MaccyDs! 🤣

Reactions: 10
What on earth do they think he’s done? I’d just think that OH had fucked off to MaccyDs! 🤣
Same. But if you’re worried your fella has done a runner with the kids, would your first port of call be MN anyway? Especially if you’re of an anxious disposition because you’ll just get wound up with posts like ‘this happened to my dog’s best friend’s owners cousin. Her DH picked the kids up from school once and he fell into the Bermuda Triangle, never to be seen again’.

Besides which, it had been ONE HOUR.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
OP looking for outfit inspo for a first date.

I despair. BOOTCUT JEANS? And high heels are DATED? How are all these Mumsnet users married?!

CCE6D60F-6F13-4B0E-9A35-772EE8EB78CA.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20

I despair. BOOTCUT JEANS? And high heels are DATED? How are all these Mumsnet users married?!

View attachment 1651293
Boot cut jeans are the heigh of fashion again and it’s skinny jeans that are on the way out (thank god, they always looked awful on me). I’m surprised she hasn’t suggested a statement necklace. I mean loafers FFS?!😂

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Skinny jeans are just a leggings replacement unless you’re actually skinny. Clue is in the name. They don’t look great on anyone else.

They’ve been on their way out for the last 10 years…I wish they’d actually go 🤣

Reactions: 7
Skinny jeans are just a leggings replacement unless you’re actually skinny. Clue is in the name. They don’t look great on anyone else.

They’ve been on their way out for the last 10 years…I wish they’d actually go 🤣
I agree that skinny jeans are apparently on the way out (whether that will actually happen or not, I’m not sure. I think we’re in a fashion era atm where anything goes and I’m pleased about that) but ‘bootcut jeans and loafers’ puts me in mind of this.

2BFFC2C1-7CF0-44F6-880C-9ED0278D7733.jpeg

And ‘t-shirt under a summer dress’ is very sister wife chic. That particular look actually came up when I googled Mormon fashion.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
T shirt under a summer dress was the 90s for me. I’ve never stopped wearing straight jeans and my bootcuts made me a pretty penny on eBay about 5 years ago when they were almost impossible to get your hands on in the shops. I sold many pairs for more than I’d originally paid!

Skinnies are only fit for the bin when they’ve been worn a few times.

Reactions: 10
In all fairness I do get what that poster means about high heels, they're definitely not as much of a thing as they were a few years ago and do have the potential to look dated. Smart trainers or boots are more of the norm even with a nice outfit.

Reactions: 8

Wonder what exactly she thought he would have done?!

It's the same as people who post on there about needing emergency medical attention. Why is Mumsnet the first port of call?!

View attachment 1651293
I'd love to know her definition of a cool jacket 🤣

In all fairness I do get what that poster means about high heels, they're definitely not as much of a thing as they were a few years ago and do have the potential to look dated. Smart trainers or boots are more of the norm even with a nice outfit.
I love my heels but I tend to wear platform type chunky heels. Very 70s in how I dress anyway so flares, floaty dresses etc but at no point would I ever take fashion advice from the people on mumsnet, I've seen their photos of that they wear on a daily basis 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
T shirt under a summer dress was the 90s for me. I’ve never stopped wearing straight jeans and my bootcuts made me a pretty penny on eBay about 5 years ago when they were almost impossible to get your hands on in the shops. I sold many pairs for more than I’d originally paid!

Skinnies are only fit for the bin when they’ve been worn a few times.
Yes, agree about the 90’s! My kids are now dressing like I used to in the grunge era, but I think you’d need to be quite young and thin (sadly) to get away with the t shirt under the dress thing today otherwise it’d look a bit frumpy and like you were trying to hide your bingo wings (which would also be me 🤣). Personally, I’d put a jacket on instead of trying to layer.

Can anyone explain this quote taken directly from a thread just now, which is something that is said quite often:

'Firstly, I've name changed for this, because I have mentioned it to several people in real life.'

Am I really dense or something? How does name changing prevent people from guessing it could be someone they know in real life? This particular thread is a very specific situation as well (random packages of paper towels arriving regularly that the OP didn't order, she looked up where it's from and it's a business that no longer exists). Surely if she's mentioned to several people that presumably go on Mumsnet too, then a name change makes absolutely no difference because these people will still read the thread and think 'hang on, isn't that so and so?'

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Nah that thread is the blind leading the blind. Loafers are in but defo not with bootcut bloody jeans. Half the other replies were suggesting skinnies, cami top and blazer as if it’s 2015. Then the op herself wanted to wear a black dress you’d wear to a funeral with weird 80s throwback beige “pixie boots” - glad she posted a pic for reference cos I had no idea wtf they actually were. A mess!

• Haha
To be fair to them, high heels ARE out of fashion and loafers are in. My friends and I joke about how you can spot someone over 30 by the fact they're wearing nice shoes (we are all over 30...)

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.