Mumsnet #6 Did you mean so be so rude?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to be really dense but what do posters actually mean by 'outing' when it comes to hobbies? Like they'll explain a uniqueish situation in utmost detail but will hide the generic hobby of golf/cycling/running or whatever it is. Surely the situation they are essaying about is more outing than the hobby?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Sorry to be really dense but what do posters actually mean by 'outing' when it comes to hobbies? Like they'll explain a uniqueish situation in utmost detail but will hide the generic hobby of golf/cycling/running or whatever it is. Surely the situation they are essaying about is more outing than the hobby?
I don't understand why posters are then subsequently obsessed with finding out what the hobby is though. Would their advice really change if your husband was spending his entire weekend cycling vs playing football?

The only hobby that I know they do get very snobby about is gaming. Followed by the thread descending into a fight between those who believe men should dedicate their every waking moment to their wife and kids, and those who are falling over themselves eager to talk about how often they game and how not like other girls they are.

Reactions: 10
What would really annoy me about mumsnet is that I don’t think you can like or react to comments as far as I can see (I’m not a member)? So you can never see how people are reacting to your comments as nobody ever replies anyway, just posts below with some tangent about their lovely DD or area they live in

It’s probably easier to put two and two together if they actually name the hobby. Also it could possibly leave them open to legal action if for example they described a bullying situation and said it was the ballet teacher that did it for example- if they don’t even name the profession that wouldn’t be possible

Reactions: 4
What would really annoy me about mumsnet is that I don’t think you can like or react to comments as far as I can see (I’m not a member)? So you can never see how people are reacting to your comments as nobody ever replies anyway, just posts below with some tangent about their lovely DD or area they live in
No they don’t have reactions or likes which is how posters like Sparklingbrook and AnyFucker get away with bullying behaviour. Because they’re well known names, they can change the tone of a thread when others start publicly arselicking their posts. People don’t like sticking their head above the parapet when they don’t agree with the majority either. I think if there were reactions, you might get a more even spread of views but once everyone’s piled in, that’s it, you’re fucked if you’re a lone dissenter.

Reactions: 7

It’s probably easier to put two and two together if they actually name the hobby. Also it could possibly leave them open to legal action if for example they described a bullying situation and said it was the ballet teacher that did it for example- if they don’t even name the profession that wouldn’t be possible
Especially if it's their husband who is the ballerina.
I mean, there can't be many truckers from Hull named Dave who likes nothing more than to twirl around in a tu-tu.

Yeah I wonder why they choose not to have reactions? :)
It would be seen as bullying apparently.

Reactions: 6
As everyone is sharing their bedroom.

Sorry about the Mess, the cleaner was busy doing her very outing Hobby.
I would gently suggest you research the Marie Kondo method; it will improve your life beyond measure. Your mental health must be so vulnerable right now, with all those unnecessary fripperies.

<tinkly laugh>

<head tilt>

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I would gently suggest you research the Marie Kondo method; it will improve your life beyond measure. Your mental health must be so vulnerable right now, with all those unnecessary fripperies.

<tinkly laugh>

<head tilt>
Did you mean to be so rude?

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Did you mean to be so rude?
I love when people tell people to say this 😂 if someone said that to me I’d be like yeah, how did you miss that I was being rude! It’s just a tame version of are you threatening me after someone has very clearly just threatened you!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Once on mumsnet when I was pregnant I made the mistake of saying that I hoped my first would be a girl. I didn’t mean I didn’t want or boy or wouldn’t love a boy, it was just my own pregnancy paranoia that I was used to girls (my whole family basically only has girls 😂) and in my hormonal mind I was really fearful I’d make a better mum to a girl than a boy. But really deep down I didn’t have a preference, it was just a stupid fear that I wouldn’t be good enough and having a girl felt like a “safer” option.

The absolute barrage of hate I got. I was told to kill myself, have an abortion, told I didn’t deserve children, that I should give my baby to someone who can’t have children etc.

I know it’s a tricky subject, but the comment I made was so throwaway and part of a larger conversation I was shocked.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Once on mumsnet when I was pregnant I made the mistake of saying that I hoped my first would be a girl. I didn’t mean I didn’t want or boy or wouldn’t love a boy, it was just my own pregnancy paranoia that I was used to girls (my whole family basically only has girls 😂) and in my hormonal mind I was really fearful I’d make a better mum to a girl than a boy. But really deep down I didn’t have a preference, it was just a stupid fear that I wouldn’t be good enough and having a girl felt like a “safer” option.

The absolute barrage of hate I got. I was told to kill myself, have an abortion, told I didn’t deserve children, that I should give my baby to someone who can’t have children etc.

I know it’s a tricky subject, but the comment I made was so throwaway and part of a larger conversation I was shocked.
Did you have a girl?

I had two and wanted a girl both times. If we’d gone for a number three I might have wanted a boy then, but probably not.

Reactions: 3
Did you have a girl?

I had two and wanted a girl both times. If we’d gone for a number three I might have wanted a boy then, but probably not.
I had a girl :)

I am not planning a second yet, but I think if I do I will be a lot less wound up on gender (I say that, but I’m sure once the pregnancy hormones kick in I’ll tell a different story!)

Reactions: 5
But most of the time the hobby is irrelevant, it's just about how much time or money 'DH' is spending on it (I'm yet to see one where the type of hobby itself is the issue). Yet they'll lay out the finest details of the rest of their predicament which to me would probably be more outing than the cycling hobby 🤷

Reactions: 4

Omg i hate opening the gender disappointment threads because if someone dares say they wanted a girl they rip them to shreds, however I have never seen thag reaction when someone wishes for a boy.

its so weird.

Hope you didnt let it Affect you ❤

Reactions: 2
I think deep down a lot of women hope for their baby to be a certain gender but daren't say it due to other peoples comments as mentioned.

Reactions: 5
Given that it took them the best part of twenty years to add a quote function I can’t see them adding reactions any time soon!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
<head tilt>
Can anyone explain what this is actually supposed to entail? As in, physically describe the action because I literally don't understand what it means? With the tinkly laugh, DYMTBSR and 'are you on glue' I can at least picture the effect they're going for, even if I think it's lame. 'Head tilt' always makes me think of their necks lolling around like one of those floppy balloon men you get outside American car dealerships.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.