Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Marmite jars have a very distinctive shape, there aren't many Marmite fans who would mistake it for a jar of peanut butter 🙄
Also they are in completely different jars, if you can’t read, have a sense of vision or have a sense of smell, you probably shouldn’t be even near a kitchen especially if you can’t tell the difference between marmite and peanut butter

Reactions: 7
Mad that this thread is still up, Mumsnet mods obviously don't think it fits the bill for "goady"

Screenshot 2022-05-28 9.21.34 AM.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I can never get over their collective love of pot luck weddings.

MN: outraged at even being invited to a wedding if they have to drive 2 hours and stay the night, tell everyone that feeding guests is the most important thing, say if you don't 'cut your cloth' by wearing a binbag you shouldn't get married, post a thread every few days asking if you can eat yoghurt if it came from a slightly warmer part of the supermarket fridge, and count booking a nice restaurant as too much 'life admin'.

Also MN: not only happy to cook and cart over various tupperwares of spag bol to a pot luck and chow down on whatever the other guests have eaten, but also proclaim it without exception as the 'best wedding the guests ever went to'.

Am I f cooking my own food for a wedding. Make it make sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
And how very dare you invite them only to an evening reception for a wedding! They will not accept being a second-tier guest and won't attend. I feel sorry for the couples with limited funds and just want a party with friends, having had to put up with Great Aunt Bertha all day because she's 'family'. Being invited to a party with dancing and a free buffet isn't an insult.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
And how very dare you invite them only to an evening reception for a wedding! They will not accept being a second-tier guest and won't attend. I feel sorry for the couples with limited funds and just want a party with friends, having had to put up with Great Aunt Bertha all day because she's 'family'. Being invited to a party with dancing and a free buffet isn't an insult.
Like, I get if it's miles away you might not want to go for an evening, but to act like it's an insult to be asked rather than nice to be thought of...

Surely no one think this is normal

‘I change my clothes about 5 times a day depending on what activity i'm doing. I also shower 3 times a day. I thought everyone did this to be honest"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Surely no one think this is normal

‘I change my clothes about 5 times a day depending on what activity i'm doing. I also shower 3 times a day. I thought everyone did this to be honest"
Wasn't there a Harry Enfield sketch like this where it was implied the man was some kind of pervert.

Reactions: 3
They love to pretend to care about charities but are happy to waste water on washing everything that is used for two minutes. Such a waste.

MN when invited to a wedding, any wedding, even one of their siblings, even if they're a bridesmaid, even if the wedding is 5 mins from their house: NO, I don't want to go.

MN when someone they have a passing acquaintance to doesn't invite them to their wedding: They WILL feel my anger.

On an aside whey are so many of them NC (I assume "no contact") with their own parents and siblings?! I don't know anyone like that in real life.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Honestly I also find it so strange that so many of them say they have no friends, but are married. Like, if you can't find or keep friends, how did you ever date and marry someone?

Reactions: 19
I've seen many threads where they say they have no friends, are happy to just be with their husband (they do everything together) and I just think how claustrophobic it sounds. I personally would go insane being around the same person that much.
It would be so tedious.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
I've seen many threads where they say they have no friends, are happy to just be with their husband (they do everything together) and I just think how claustrophobic it sounds. I personally would go insane being around the same person that much.
It would be so tedious.
They’re the kind of people you see in the supermarket shopping as whole family, mum dad and kids all together. Treating it as a family day out. Like you say weird and clingy.

Reactions: 17
They all get so would up about normal life stuff! Yesterday there was a poster who was worried about ‘how’ you take your baby on a train. What if you have to collapse your buggy? You can’t hold your baby and do it one handed! You obviously can’t get anyone to hold your baby, because they might be a kiddy fiddler or a toxic MIL or have an invisible coldsore. WHAT DO YOU DOOOOOO?!

although it did make me laugh when a poster piped up scathingly, ‘I don’t know about anyone else but at 13 months mine were WALKING. They could easily support themselves while I dealt with the buggy’

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
I think once they meet their partner, they let their friendships die out because they have their partner now and don’t need anyone else. It’s happened to me and several people I know in rl.

I’ve also found people to be helpful on trains towards people struggling. I’ve seen men offering to help mums carry the pushchair down the steps, my sister had passengers help her with the pram on board the train, someone offered to help me with my heavy suitcase and one of my friends was struggling to get off the train due to her disability so a lady offered her a hand. Separate experiences.

Mind you, I expect Mumsnetters wouldn’t accept help on a train and be a martyr.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Ook
I think once they meet their partner, they let their friendships die out because they have their partner now and don’t need anyone else. It’s happened to me and several people I know in rl.

I’ve also found people to be helpful on trains towards people struggling. I’ve seen men offering to help mums carry the pushchair down the steps, my sister had passengers help her with the pram on board the train, someone offered to help me with my heavy suitcase and one of my friends was struggling to get off the train due to her disability so a lady offered her a hand. Separate experiences.

Mind you, I expect Mumsnetters wouldn’t accept help on a train and be a martyr.
I took a few train journeys with DD in a pram and not able to stand and people were so kind and helpful.

• Heart
Ook

I took a few train journeys with DD in a pram and not able to stand and people were so kind and helpful.
That’s my experience but Mumsnetters are so bloody combative they assume everyone just wants to hate them for daring to leave the house with an immobile infant. They think someone kicking the buggy down a flight of stairs for shits and giggles is more likely then someone offering to lend a hand to get it down.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
They all get so would up about normal life stuff! Yesterday there was a poster who was worried about ‘how’ you take your baby on a train. What if you have to collapse your buggy? You can’t hold your baby and do it one handed! You obviously can’t get anyone to hold your baby, because they might be a kiddy fiddler or a toxic MIL or have an invisible coldsore. WHAT DO YOU DOOOOOO?!

although it did make me laugh when a poster piped up scathingly, ‘I don’t know about anyone else but at 13 months mine were WALKING. They could easily support themselves while I dealt with the buggy’
To be honest, that sort of thing would have caused me major anxiety too. I remember the first time I tried taking my baby on a bus. The driver told me there wasn’t room and I’d have to fold my pram. But in order to do that I needed to take my six week old out, remove the seat from the chassis, then fold the chassis, then haul both pieces onto the bus and try to find somewhere to store it all. While people on the bus would be tutting and staring, no doubt. Impossible, really. I also had raging PND, but I don’t think even the most mentally healthy new mum would have managed it by themselves with an infant in their arms.

I had to let the bus go and wait for the next one.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
There's a woman getting her knickers in a twist because someone let their dog wee on a publicly owned grass verge that she maintains herself. That's definitely got to be a wind up?!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.