Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If he ate your naice ham, LTB, that should have lasted you six months. Should you really have mentioned it was the ham though? Might be outing

Reactions: 3
Mumsnet article on daily mail today, i have to say I’m a bit shocked at how many people have commented that they regret having their children/don’t enjoy parenthood. It can be very stressful at times but I can’t say I regret it personally.
It’s very fashionable to hate on parenthood on Mumsnet, if you say you enjoy it then you’re just smug or have it easy!

Reactions: 6
TY CHASTITY I’ve spent today getting my ducks in a row and when DH returns tonight, I won’t be there ! I’ve been squirrelling away half his wages and kept all my money for myself so I should be okay. Can you believe the cheek of him ? I asked if he could do some housework after his 23 hour day and He had the nerve to say “why don’t you” I have far more pressing matters like playing Mecca bingo on my laptop x
💐😂 unmumsnetty hugs 🤣

Oh Lordy there’s a “what do you high earners spend your salary on” thread because they want to get “ideas” … sure Jan.
And in jump the usual suspects. It's extraordinary how these high earners spend so much time on Mumsnet. 🤔

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Why are random people always talking to them in the gym?! Any gym I've ever been to, people are listening to their headphones qnd working out. But on mumsnet, when they're at the gym men are either asking for their number or giving them workout advice.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Why are random people always talking to them in the gym?! Any gym I've ever been to, people are listening to their headphones qnd working out. But on mumsnet, when they're at the gym men are either asking for their number or giving them workout advice.
😂 I had the same thought. The gym I go to, people say hello, at most, or nod a greeting. Or say nothing at all.

On Mumsnet people are always commenting on other people or on their children, in shops or parks.

Reactions: 7
It always makes me laugh when theres a debate on housework division on there. And they always add in 'I do all the life admin, paying the bills, doctors, dentists etc..' does anyone in the real world actually use the term life admin, I mean how many times a year does one have to call the dentist or doctor, hardly a huge task 🤣 and paying the bills.. we are in 2022 it's called direct debit
My "life admin" takes about half hour on pay day and 6 phone calls a year to the Orthodontist and Dentist and renewing energy suppliers and car insurance, about an hour once a year.

Hardly a burden!

Always makes me chuckle how the Husband has to he responsible for his family birthdays too and the Wife shouldn't be buying cards or presents for his family, only her own.

And anyone over 16 shouldn't be receiving christmas or birthday presents anyway!

I never get all the fuss about being asked to attend a wedding! Someone was HYSTERICAL on there the other day because there was a wedding on her husband's side and he had left her to "organise everything". What is there to organise? She's being asked to attend it. Not plan it!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
As much as almost everything written here is hilariously accurate, I’m going to be slightly contrary and say that I’ve found the « No is a complete sentence » advice often doled out there to be extremely helpful. No more casting around for fake excuses to make it acceptable to the other party, or even just telling people more than I want to about my plans / situation.

« Can you do X? »
« No ».

Job done.

Reactions: 13
I never get all the fuss about being asked to attend a wedding! Someone was HYSTERICAL on there the other day because there was a wedding on her husband's side and he had left her to "organise everything". What is there to organise? She's being asked to attend it. Not plan it!
Wedding threads are my guilty pleasure on there 😂.
I didn't see that one but there was a recent one that was a blatant reverse. OP ordering oops I mean inviting everyone abroad for their wedding and the guests had been given plenty of time to save but were spending their money frivolously 🤣 instead.
There was a lot more but that was one of the best and most blatant bits.

Reactions: 7
As much as almost everything written here is hilariously accurate, I’m going to be slightly contrary and say that I’ve found the « No is a complete sentence » advice often doled out there to be extremely helpful. No more casting around for fake excuses to make it acceptable to the other party, or even just telling people more than I want to about my plans / situation.

« Can you do X? »
« No ».

Job done.
I’ve never made excuses! It’s usually a polite ‘no, I’m sorry…’ from me!

Reactions: 4
Oh Lordy there’s a “what do you high earners spend your salary on” thread because they want to get “ideas” … sure Jan.
The OP apparently had a suggestion since that there should be a specific area on Mumsnet for high earners - to keep out the riff raff I suppose. Sadly her attempt at a second high earners thread, presumably to drum up support for the idea, is now deleted. Can't think why. 😂

Wind up merchant extraordinaire.

• Haha
The OP apparently had a suggestion since that there should be a specific area on Mumsnet for high earners - to keep out the riff raff I suppose. Sadly her attempt at a second high earners thread, presumably to drum up support for the idea, is now deleted. Can't think why. 😂

Wind up merchant extraordinaire.
So many high earners. As that is the majority maybe us riff raff should be exiled to our own section.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The Cornwall AIBU thread is very entertaining in a chilled sort of way. It's got everything - people who love Cornwall, people who loathe it, people being snotty about holidays abroad, people being snotty about holidays in the UK, class war, covid war, climate change sanctimony, someone who thinks £6000 is a reasonable price for two weeks in a holiday cottage... and somehow it still hasn't descended into a massive bunfight (yet). Wonderful fun.

I'm genuinely shocked at some of the prices they're talking about though. I've been to Cornwall once and it was lovely but I was camping in the off season so it was really cheap. This year I'm hoping to go on a once in a lifetime type holiday to Asia for six weeks and expect it to cost less all in - including flights - than some of them are quoting for 7 days renting a cottage! Do they really go for over £2000?!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
The Cornwall AIBU thread is very entertaining in a chilled sort of way. It's got everything - people who love Cornwall, people who loathe it, people being snotty about holidays abroad, people being snotty about holidays in the UK, class war, covid war, climate change sanctimony, someone who thinks £6000 is a reasonable price for two weeks in a holiday cottage... and somehow it still hasn't descended into a massive bunfight (yet). Wonderful fun.

I'm genuinely shocked at some of the prices they're talking about though. I've been to Cornwall once and it was lovely but I was camping in the off season so it was really cheap. This year I'm hoping to go on a once in a lifetime type holiday to Asia for six weeks and expect it to cost less all in - including flights - than some of them are quoting for 7 days renting a cottage! Do they really go for over £2000?!
Your trip sounds amazing! What do you have planned?

Reactions: 3

Yes they do! I looked for a week during school holidays and for something fairly basic it was £2200. It’s been the same historically in Europe.

We went for 3.5 weeks of luxury in SE Asia for the same price as our friends went to a luxury 4 bed villa in Cornwall with freezing cold sea temperatures for a fortnight. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Yes they do! I looked for a week during school holidays and for something fairly basic it was £2200. It’s been the same historically in Europe.

We went for 3.5 weeks of luxury in SE Asia for the same price as our friends went to a luxury 4 bed villa in Cornwall with freezing cold sea temperatures for a fortnight. 🤷🏼‍♀️
We've been on holidays to Cuba, Antigua and Thailand with 3 children for the same price as a fortnight in Greece! ( or some parts of U.K.!)

Reactions: 4
We've been on holidays to Cuba, Antigua and Thailand with 3 children for the same price as a fortnight in Greece! ( or some parts of U.K.!)
Was it ok travelling long haul with kids? We’ve been looking at holidays and I can’t believe how expensive it is, even to go to Spain during school summer holidays! Might as well go long haul for those prices but I’m not sure about the long flight with a baby and 4 year old 😅

Reactions: 1
Was it ok travelling long haul with kids? We’ve been looking at holidays and I can’t believe how expensive it is, even to go to Spain during school summer holidays! Might as well go long haul for those prices but I’m not sure about the long flight with a baby and 4 year old 😅
Ah admittedly my were older....young teens!....when mine were lititle we had holidays in Scotland as that was only time I could see my family due to work commitments ( we also found if we went at the end of school hols it was cheaper as Scottish schools were back...and August is start of hurricane season in Caribbean so cheaper but thankfully we never had any issues!)

• Heart
Reactions: 1

That's madness - as I said I did really like Cornwall but can't believe people would pay that much! Especially when there's other lovely parts of the UK that are much cheaper. I rented a cottage in Devon with four friends for a week when we were in uni and I'm sure it didn't cost more than about £80 each. Admittedly that's going back a few years so it would be more now but surely not five times as much.
Your trip sounds amazing! What do you have planned?
I have some friends in Penang and Kuala Lumpur so the trip is to visit them really, but before that I'm going to spend about a month in Vietnam. I haven't planned in much detail yet except that I'm going to start in Hanoi and work my way down to Ho Chi Minh City by train, hopefully doing some hiking trips along the way (if it's not too hot to move!) I'm a teacher so it's also to see if I like it enough to consider applying for a job there one day.

Back on topic, there's a whole AIBU thread at the moment debating whether or not 'life admin' is a legitimate thing and I wondered if it was inspired by people reading this forum 😂

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.