Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone on the same monkeypox thread I mentioned earlier is trying to convince people that this is a sign of the end times - as in the literal Book of Revelation, angels-honking-fire-out-of-trumpets biblical end times. People are pointing out that it's hardly the first time we've seen war and disease in the history of the human race, but to no avail.

Semi-related, it always makes me laugh when I see people posting on current affairs threads on there to say they don't watch the news anymore because it's all terrible and makes them anxious. If people feel they need to stay away from the news for the sake of their mental health then I understand and respect that, but while I'm no psychologist, I'm not convinced avoiding the BBC while reading random mumsnetters' every passing thought on the subject is the best way to reduce your stress levels about anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Who on Gods Green Earth would name their baby daughter Myra? The baby names section is untapped Gold

Screenshot 2022-05-26 6.24.36 PM.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
The 'life admin' thread is hilarious because the poster describes teaching her son as 'life admin'...erm no.

The names board is hilarious and eventhough I don't have a baby to name I do like visiting it for the LOLs.

The 'life admin' thread is hilarious because the poster describes teaching her son maths as 'life admin'...erm no.

The names board is hilarious and eventhough I don't have a baby to name I do like visiting it for the LOL

Was it ok travelling long haul with kids? We’ve been looking at holidays and I can’t believe how expensive it is, even to go to Spain during school summer holidays! Might as well go long haul for those prices but I’m not sure about the long flight with a baby and 4 year old 😅
I’ve did a 12 hour flight with a 4 month old and a 3 year old. The 3 year old loved it and the 4 month old slept loads of it (and puked and leaked nappy juice on me). It was fine.

They’re now 10 and 13 and better long haul travellers than most adults. My cost saving advice would be to book it all independently. I saved a fortune by using lesser known (in the UK) airlines.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@Sglodion I agree. The hysteria, vitriol and sheer craziness on mumsnet during lockdown was beyond belief.
"You don't need to go out for milk you filthy virus spreading cow. You can put cheese in your coffee if you're that desperate" 🙄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
@Sglodion I agree. The hysteria, vitriol and sheer craziness on mumsnet during lockdown was beyond belief.
"You don't need to go out for milk you filthy virus spreading cow. You can put cheese in your coffee if you're that desperate" 🙄
What do you mean you're not quarantining your post for 72 hours? Doesn't everyone?!?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Who on Gods Green Earth would name their baby daughter Myra? The baby names section is untapped Gold
I watched Waterloo Bridge before knowledge of Brady and Hindley's crimes, so that film is what first comes to mind for me, but no doubt I'm in the minority lol. I noticed a few local reception aged girls have old lady names like Vera, Ethel, Peggy. Seems to have come back into fashion, at least in my area.

Reactions: 1
What do you mean you're not quarantining your post for 72 hours? Doesn't everyone?!?
My father in law ironed the newspaper every morning - D Tel natch. I asked him if he thought he was in an episode of Downton Abbey - didnt go down well!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
There was a thread in lockdown where the poster saw a person in the shop buying just a cucumber and they were irate and you should only be out if you are doing a big shop (or buying a magical chicken).

Has anyone been on the Preppers board? It was already OTT before lockdown but was totally unreal during the pandemic, then the Ukraine war. I really can't believe people can afford to hoard so much or have the space to keep it. Also if I stocked up, I'd eat it all very quickly!!

Reactions: 8
All the life admin posters claiming they’re so busy are usually the SAHM who want to appear to be busy.. and thats not a dig at SAHM, i am one atm but life admin takes up a couple of hours of my month.

who the duck counts booking a resturant as life admin!? Half that tit you can do when you’re having a tit on the toilet

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Yes they do! I looked for a week during school holidays and for something fairly basic it was £2200. It’s been the same historically in Europe.

We went for 3.5 weeks of luxury in SE Asia for the same price as our friends went to a luxury 4 bed villa in Cornwall with freezing cold sea temperatures for a fortnight. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Out of interest Haggis where did you go to snap up such a bargain?

Reactions: 1
Some of threads during Lockdown 1 were crazy. I felt like I was a freak for not quarantining my post, not washing my groceries and the thread where a poster said she was sobbing and shaking because someone had gone out to buy a bar of chocolate.

I didn’t like the way the prepped smugly berated people for not stocking up (not everyone has loads of money to buy lots of tinned goods or the storage space to store them) and boasting how they’d been prepping since the outbreak was first announced.

Also I remember reading a thread where a poster encouraged another to go back to the supermarket with her hair down and coat off to buy yet more food despite having been earlier to stockpile.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I was a nanny working through the pandemic (while my furloughed avid-Mumsnetter boss sat upstairs ‘resting’)

I told her I desperately needed more printing paper as the kids were getting through reems of the stuff on their schoolwork. I suggested ordering through Amazon but she insisted on driving into work at the crack of dawn, before covid came out for the day presumably, and getting a load from her office.

I went to pick it up when she got back so I could crack on with the day. ‘NOOOO!’ she screeched. ‘It needs to be quarantined!!’

it sat in the outside storage unit for three days before I was allowed to use it 🙄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Some of threads during Lockdown 1 were crazy. I felt like I was a freak for not quarantining my post, not washing my groceries and the thread where a poster said she was sobbing and shaking because someone had gone out to buy a bar of chocolate.

I didn’t like the way the prepped smugly berated people for not stocking up (not everyone has loads of money to buy lots of tinned goods or the storage space to store them) and boasting how they’d been prepping since the outbreak was first announced.

Also I remember reading a thread where a poster encouraged another to go back to the supermarket with her hair down and coat off to buy yet more food despite having been earlier to stockpile.
They all wanted to report their neighbours for standing in their gardens and other ridiculous nonsense. It was absurd. I’d hate to live near any of them. Not to mention all of the endless whinging about how hard looking after their own kids was. Well why did you have them then? They were also the worst panic buyers, you’d get piled onto if you pointed out that they didn’t actually need 700 toilet rolls and 400 bottles of cooking oil.

Reactions: 12
They all wanted to report their neighbours for standing in their gardens and other ridiculous nonsense. It was absurd. I’d hate to live near any of them. Not to mention all of the endless whinging about how hard looking after their own kids was. Well why did you have them then?
Me too. I don't think I'd have liked living next door to any of them either. I'm sure there were lots of threads where posters were begging for the schools to close and how they were taking their kids out of school and then complaining when the schools did close.

Reactions: 8
Me too. I don't think I'd have liked living next door to any of them either. I'm sure there were lots of threads where posters were begging for the schools to close and how they were taking their kids out of school and then complaining when the schools did close.
Yes there was. ‘Why aren’t the schools closing?! Children are super spreaders!!!!’. Then when schools actually did close and they were faced with the reality of actually parenting their own children it was ‘ Why are the school still closed?! I can’t possibly look after them and do my ever so important six figure salary job in a niche industry’ and ‘I am sat on the kitchen floor sobbing at the thought of yet another day of home schooling them it’s sooooo hard’. Well now maybe you’ll have a bit more of an idea how difficult teaching your darlings is, instead of whinging about them on MN..🙄😂

Reactions: 15
Anyone seen the thread where the OP is disappointed because her son is not “the gifted genius she thought he would be” 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Anyone seen the thread where the OP is disappointed because her son is not “the gifted genius she thought he would be” 🙃
Yes, it's pretty grim. I hope it isn't true because that would be horrible for her child, but it also has an element of MN 'tick-boxing' when creating a deliberately goady thread.

Two things on MN are never allowed to be average: children and incomes.

Reactions: 13
I'm visually impaired too and to solve the peanut butter / martmite issue, I'd (or ask my parents to) put it somewhere else. Is that so hard?
Marmite jars have a very distinctive shape, there aren't many Marmite fans who would mistake it for a jar of peanut butter 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.