Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you ever visited the Preppers board? Even before we had heard of covid they were stockpiling- they did it during the "millennium bug" and for the Ukraine war. Some of them have multiple fridge freezers and rooms just to stockpile in case of an apocalypse.
I'd heard people refer to it in passing on the main boards several times but thought it was about sensible prepping, like for people who live in remote areas and might get cut off if there's heavy snow or floods, or getting a bit extra in before the Brexit price increases or whatever. Then someone mentioned it following the invasion of Ukraine and I had a look out of curiosity, and people were discussing how to build nuclear bunkers in their back yards.

Unrelated, there's an AIBU thread about OP's boyfriend having inappropriate boundaries (in her opinion) with his female friends that's getting uncharacteristically sensible responses. It always makes me laugh when people on there think that once you're in a relationship you should have no contact with anyone you've ever had any sexual involvement with, even if it was just an unrequited crush or a drunken ONS fifteen years ago. Most of my friendships date back to my uni days - if I cut off everyone where there'd ever been feelings on either side I'd be living like a Trappist monk.

Reactions: 10
@witchofwestbyfleet this seems like a reasonable explanation. I wonder if like you say their child simply has some less than desirable qualities and rather than accept the fact they want to explain it with a diagnosis?

Reactions: 8
Probabky partly self-diagnosis, also parents of children who genuinely have SEN might be more likely to seek out a parenting community.

Reactions: 5
They don't have very sophisticated humour do they? The absolute innane or immature things that have them screaming and crying with laughter 🙄. I don't think I have even ever laughed out loud at anything on there.
Not even laughed that much, manage to hold it in but still wake your sleeping husband with all the shaking?!

My husband has always referred to mumsnet as a bunch of hysterical twats and sadly he is right.
Read a thread on there this morning about the price of gas/ electric going up and there’s mumsnetters on there going ‘people will starve to death!!!’ and ‘People will freeze to death!!!’.

I mean I know this is a crisis but I like to think considering our government managed to vaccinate the entire country to protect us all during the pandemic and pay for everybody’s furlows that they’re not going to let half the population freeze or starve to death.
Will freeze or starve to death, yet nearly all husbands have expensive hobbies and six figure salaries.

Tempted to go on the thread and suggest they take in ironing?

Reactions: 8
Can anyone explain why the incidence of autism in the UK is statistically low at 1-2% and yet every other poster on Mumsnet has an autistic child? Is this self diagnosis do we think or something else. Baffles me.
I think 1-2% is an underestimate tbh. There are three autistic kids (including mine), in my son’s class. And three autistic kids (including mine) in my daughter’s class. Diagnosis rates are higher because kids who, in the past, would have been dismissed as “quirky” are now getting diagnosed. Likewise, parents who may have resisted any attempt to get their kid assessed are now more inclined to accept it.

That’s not to say that the majority of parents of kids with difficulties and obvious autistic traits aren’t still out there saying “I don’t want my child LABELLED” because they are.

Reactions: 6
Not even laughed that much, manage to hold it in but still wake your sleeping husband with all the shaking?!

Will freeze or starve to death, yet nearly all husbands have expensive hobbies and six figure salaries.

Tempted to go on the thread and suggest they take in ironing?
Remember all the boasting about how much money they were saving while WFH/Furlough? While all the supermarket workers/carers & hospital staff were risking catching Covid as they baked bread & snuggled up with the kids.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
It's Saturday guys! There's a new HUGE SALARY post in trending.
It seems the previously popular six figure salary is for the povs only now.
It's seven and eight figures now dontcha know?
And they all started off in council houses with nothing until they worked so so so so hard *smug emoji*

Oxbridge, waffle waffle, red brick, waffle waffle, hollow legs and low carb bread ahoy :poop:

I have always wanted to start a thread asking how to look working class.
What are the signifiers?

"I was born into wealth in a sprawling 12 bed Cotswold's idyll with grounds, but after working very very hard at Greggs I was eventually awarded a piss stained council bedsit in Leeds. Anyone can do this if they try. You just have to have focus and determination, and a similarly minded spouse. My DH DD exDH DSIL SD SS DSRUGBYLEGS DDOG and our many many DHORSES and DBALLERINAS are also in council housing now. Our neighbours are earning less than us but amuse us with creative gardening techniques such as pilling cars on bricks."

"What do I eat now that I am working class?"
"my DH earns a 2 figure salary, if we split is this still family money?"
"what do WC people call their children?"
"I won't eat Sainsbury's chocolate, it's so UWC"
"My DDOG isn't aggressive enough, can you recommend a more WC breed?"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
There was one saying her daughter was earning six figure salary in her 20s! My boss is Director of the organisation and is only on £80k. What do they all do to be on six figures?

Reactions: 10
There was one saying her daughter was earning six figure salary in her 20s! My boss is Director of the organisation and is only on £80k. What do they all do to be on six figures?
they wfh, avon rep, call centre for EON.
Free time spent building £300M stately homes out of Lego, then treading on a piece (blaming DD12,13,14,15 and Dcat) and heading straight to AIBU to ask if they should call an ambulance NOW, etc.

A fave from a few days ago - DS worked in a bakery (shudder!), but she HAD to add full disclosure that it was upmarket.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
They take in ironing for friends and neighbours. Or walk their dogs.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My best mate *actually* grew up in poverty and went on to earn six figures in his 20s, although to be fair it was only for like a month before he turned 30 - he's a self-taught programmer in a successful startup and is very, very good at what he does. Like, to the point where I don't think many people who know him would be that surprised if he ended up being the next Elon Musk or something (only, yknow, not actually like Elon Musk). But that surely has to be a very rare exception - I've got other friends who are doctors and barristers and other typically high earning jobs and they make much less. Maybe the husbands of Mumsnet are all on about £70-80k as well and they're just rounding up?!

My best mate *actually* grew up in poverty and went on to earn six figures in his 20s, although to be fair it was only for like a month before he turned 30 - he's a self-taught programmer in a successful startup and is very, very good at what he does. Like, to the point where I don't think many people who know him would be that surprised if he ended up being the next Elon Musk or something (only, yknow, not actually like Elon Musk). But that surely has to be a very rare exception - I've got other friends who are doctors and barristers and other typically high earning jobs and they make much less. Maybe the husbands of Mumsnet are all on about £70-80k as well and they're just rounding up?!
Could be. The wives are probably rounding up to 100K by adding on the extra Ebay income she accrues selling barely worn Seasalt and Toast items as Life Work.
Still, I think most of them are telling porkies 🐷 You wouldn't be so eager to obsess over salary/class markers on the internet if you were comfortably settled.

Reactions: 11
There was a thread I think in style & beauty about knickers with narrow gussets and honestly I just found it so crude & vulgar. Anyone else see it? Ugh I can't bear women talking like this. It's so unattractive & distasteful to me. I think they'd be up in arms if the read of men using such graphic descriptions. 🤢

• Wow
That gross thread (to me anyway) is in AIBU Am I wrong to expect underwear to cover everything? Wonder if I'm just an old prude.

Reactions: 2
Went to read that underwear thread and where the eff are they buying underwear that their bits hang out?! Never come across knickers like that, they're being OTT as usual.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I swear to God they count the decimal points.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.