Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
“DH embarrassed by my sensitivity“ … poster talks about being overcome with emotion at art, cried at the Louvre and then casually mentions SCREAMING at the Michael Angelo so much that she had to be consoled by other tourists 😂

Has to be a wind up right?!
I remember that thread from when it was first posted. For the most part I didn't really get why everyone loved it so much that it ran to 40 pages, but I do remember one person replied "In the room the women come and go/Screaming at Michaelangelo", and it's one of those things that still randomly pops into my head from time to time and makes me snort. Try explaining that when someone asks what's so funny.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I love Irregular Choice and own several pairs but I'm not wearing them to my wedding this summer :LOL: (and I do have a distinctive dress sense, a friend's nickname for me is Countess Tackula)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
The “Jewellery make suitable for a 28 year old” thread and someone has suggested PEARLS as they “suit everybody” :sick:
I’ve got a pair of pearl earrings my grandparents bought me for my 18th. I’ve worn them nearly every day for over 15 years.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
They don't have very sophisticated humour do they? The absolute innane or immature things that have them screaming and crying with laughter 🙄. I don't think I have even ever laughed out loud at anything on there.

I've been banned on the back of a recent S&B thread where there were loads of them taking the piss. Called them out on it and got a bleeping ban. I wouldn't mind but nothing I said breached their stupid 'guidelines'.

I've been on there since 2009 (though very much on and off, I'd often go months without posting) but I think that's me done. I got some pathetic email telling me I can ask to be reinstated after a week. Sod that.

The level of rudeness, ignorance, nastiness and bigotry is horrendous and definitely getting worse. Some years ago when I was single I posted a thread about it, I was at the end of my tether with it all. I included some pictures from my dating profile. That was definitely a mistake. I got told I wore too much make up, needed photos where I looked 'natural' (I always wear that much make up, some of the photos were taken straight after work), that I should wear more high necked clothes as I was giving men the wrong impression otherwise...honestly the body/ appearance shaming was off the scale. I should've deleted my account then.

I have to say I am so much happier on Tattle, not one person here has ever made me feel bad about myself, or disagreed in anything other than a polite/ reasoned way :)

• Heart
Reactions: 25
The “Jewellery make suitable for a 28 year old” thread and someone has suggested PEARLS as they “suit everybody” :sick:
They've been fashionable with teenage girls for the nine months or so - definitely going out now, as there haven't been many pairs confiscated at work for a few weeks. But I don't suppose for a moment that a MN poster has gone anywhere near teenage fashion since about 1983 and even then, they were more the Laura Ashley frock with dungaree clips or the stripey shirt with the collar turned up and velvet Alice band type of teenager.

I remember that thread from when it was first posted. For the most part I didn't really get why everyone loved it so much that it ran to 40 pages, but I do remember one person replied "In the room the women come and go/Screaming at Michaelangelo", and it's one of those things that still randomly pops into my head from time to time and makes me snort. Try explaining that when someone asks what's so funny.
I didn’t realise it was an old one! I was reading it while up with the baby and did actually laugh out loud when I got to the screaming part. Some of them are bonkers!

...they were more the Laura Ashley frock with dungaree clips or the stripey shirt with the collar turned up and velvet Alice band type of teenager.
You have described 95% of the girls in my first year at uni in 1990 😂 😂 😂

I turned up in my finest from Mark One and Romford Market and stood out like a sore thumb!

This is obviously the issue on MN, everyone is 30 years out of date.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
You have described 95% of the girls in my first year at uni in 1990 😂 😂 😂

I turned up in my finest from Mark One and Romford Market and stood out like a sore thumb!

This is obviously the issue on MN, everyone is 30 years out of date.

Bet most of them had a set of Eternal Beau plates, Marks and Spencers bed linen and a copy of Delia Smith's One is Fun when they moved into their first flatshares, too...

• Haha
Reactions: 6
They don't have very sophisticated humour do they? The absolute innane or immature things that have them screaming and crying with laughter 🙄. I don't think I have even ever laughed out loud at anything on there.
Same here. At most, raised a faint smile, and never at stuff that had others rolling on the floor.
'Snapped and farted' ho ho ho. 🙄

Reactions: 12
Sense of humour bypass, I love the faux confusion in the comments.
They repeatedly boast about living in leafy areas, but feign ignorance when someone challenges it. I too live in a leafy area as the council have rarely swept the streets since covid. ;)

Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 12.42.04.png

I have only ever had 2 posts deleted on Mumsnet.
My favourite was during the second lockdown. I had put on a wee bit of weight, like you do quaffing wine on the regular, and discovered one Thursday evening that if I jumped up and down my arse made a clapping sound as the cheeks slapped together.
In a merry mood I went into 'chat' and created a post about it, with a sly wink that my bum was clapping for the NHS.

The comments were furious,
"so you don't support the NHS op?"
"is this supposed to be funny because it isn't?"
"reporting this"
"uurgh, I suppose you don't have a serious illness op?"
"I am a nurse and this has ruined my day"
"people are dying and this is funny to you?"

It was swiftly deleted by the powers that be. I don't think sly or dark humour goes down well there. I f**king hope it does here now I've posted this 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
“DH embarrassed by my sensitivity“ … poster talks about being overcome with emotion at art, cried at the Louvre and then casually mentions SCREAMING at the Michael Angelo so much that she had to be consoled by other tourists 😂

Has to be a wind up right?!
This is amazing 😂😂😂 I’m proper crying laughing at my desk.

I’m picturing that woman from the airline(?) years ago who starting crying and squeaking because she missed her flight.

Found the thread. Surely a wind up but I’m absolutely howling

51963E6A-73F0-493A-B4F3-0BC6E82DB707.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I love Irregular Choice and own several pairs but I'm not wearing them to my wedding this summer :LOL: (and I do have a distinctive dress sense, a friend's nickname for me is Countess Tackula)
I was gonna laugh react your post til I realised you might think I was making fun of your dress sense, but actually it was because 'Countess Tackula' is brilliant.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
My husband has always referred to mumsnet as a bunch of hysterical twats and sadly he is right.
Read a thread on there this morning about the price of gas/ electric going up and there’s mumsnetters on there going ‘people will starve to death!!!’ and ‘People will freeze to death!!!’.

I mean I know this is a crisis but I like to think considering our government managed to vaccinate the entire country to protect us all during the pandemic and pay for everybody’s furlows that they’re not going to let half the population freeze or starve to death.

Reactions: 6
Have you ever visited the Preppers board? Even before we had heard of covid they were stockpiling- they did it during the "millennium bug" and for the Ukraine war. Some of them have multiple fridge freezers and rooms just to stockpile in case of an apocalypse.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Can anyone explain why the incidence of autism in the UK is statistically low at 1-2% and yet every other poster on Mumsnet has an autistic child? Is this self diagnosis do we think or something else. Baffles me.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Probably self-diagnosis, attention-seeking and or those people who insist "everyone's on the spectrum!" or think normal teenage behaviour is a sign of autism. (I have known people who thought their children were autistic because they didn't want to attend family events, or argued with the parents and that was "lacking empathy." No, it's what teens do)

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.