Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
We had another flounce this morning on a MIL thread where, very surprisingly, a lot of the posters were on the MIL side

Apparently the YABU responses were giving her anxiety and it was pulled

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Codiaeum

VIP Member
Can anyone help this woman in AIBU? I personally wouldn’t marry someone who doesn’t dettol his bum on the hour every hour and sit on a (dettoled) tarp so I can’t help.

DP (who I love dearly, this is just for fun!) goes running a few times a week and says he can't shower as soon as he gets home as he's still sweating. Instead he sits down on the living room sofa/chair for a while to cool down before showering.

The problem is that DP, who doesn't normally smell, has an absolutely honking post-run butt. I'm worried that the smell will build up over time and the living room will stink. DP says I should chill out and he should be able to sit down in his own living room.

AIBU to ask him not to do that? How can we reach a compromise!?
Could you ask him to sit on something non fabric instead? I think you have a fair point, the sweat will over time soak into the fabric and yeah, that will smell. Sweat also isn’t just water, it can be oily and salty and at worst you’ll have stains.

• Haha
Reactions: 5

daisybrown

VIP Member
I did a day of interviews with a manager and one candidate walked in and the manager spent the whole interview sneezing due to her perfume. She was fine before and after! Fortunately we did not offer the candidate a job, otherwise their one to ones would have been interesting!

• Haha
Reactions: 4

TheMiceInTheShed

VIP Member
Anyone else seen MNHQ responses on the vegan/pearls thread? What a load of absolute waffle

View attachment 2920519
View attachment 2920522
View attachment 2920524
View attachment 2920525
That's fucking disgraceful!

Why pick on camelids?

There are plenty of other ungulates out there, but no - it has to be camelids. Is it just because they spit?

FRENCH men spit. A LOT! But they're swarve and Fronche, so they get a free pass, I suppose. :mad:
---
I’m big, and when I was in Austria recently people just seemed to assume I was German so I don’t think obesity is just a British issue :rolleyes: That and practically every gift shop sold stress balls shaped like fat German women in dirndls. I do kind-of regret not buying one but they were something stupid like 15 Euros so I bought chocolate instead :p
A wise decision.

I would have done the same.
---
Edited because by some witchery I managed to post part of this twice.

Last edited:
  • Haha

VC10

VIP Member
Have we seen the one about "should I sleep out in London"? Utter insanity. She's considering leaving her house in the Midlands to sleep rough in London in order to access an employment support scheme. In what world could that ever be an idea?!
Ludicrous.

Tangent Tiger

VIP Member
Imagine your life being so devoid of joy and meaning that you think being thin makes you superior to others 🤢 I used to think like this when I was a very mumsnet 7 stone, deep in my eating disorder and absolutely miserable. Now I’m a size pie and chips and much happier 🥧
Yeah, I've not been happy about recent events so have stepped away from the Internet. Also not happy about resultant weight loss!

Surprised MN haven't banned me I'm so grumpy

ShopTilYouSlop

Chatty Member
They're not happy about this article in the guardian today about MN...
I saw that and I actually thought it was quite a nice take. I may have been there so long I can't really see it any more. I've been on it for ten years.

I should take a hiatus from it. I can't quite bring myself to do something intentionally to get banned (and I could just reregister on another address anyway) but I'm thinking I might change my password by banging the keyboard randomly with my eyes shut and then logging out. But then I could still reset it with the forgotten password thing...argh.

Affiliatemebaby

VIP Member
That is ridiculous! « I have completely changed the ingredients and it didn’t work, so I will leave a negative review ».
To be fair to MN, that’s taken off a Buzz Feed type page with lots of stupid recipe changes - not MN. Not that some posters might not try it

Bird Lady

I can see both sides of the argument. If I was the op I wouldn’t bother with a Mumsnet thread about it though, because there are two sides of the argument some will agree with her and some won’t but some Mumsnetters will do it in a vicious way and she’s clearly already sensitive so why give them the opportunity to upset her more.
I guess she thought it was an example of kindness sliding in society. The responses however, were more indicative of that.

Captainmouse

VIP Member
Same here.

I immediately adopted the maxim "What God's forgotten, stuff with cotton." (It was from a Doris Day film - I forget which. I saw it over half a century ago)
---

Big pants are where it’s at - that was another stupid thing about yoof - g-strings ffs. These days unless they’re big enough to sail a galleon laden with Spanish gold across the Atlantic, I’m oot.

I'm with you there @50degreesnorth. - I've tried thongs (many years ago) and found them uncomfortable, unhygienic and unspeakably sordid - went back to Big Knickers*. A colleague who always wore thongs kept banging on about how freeing they were and you also got no visible pantie line. I di point out to her that when your drawers stretch from you knee to your armpits you don't get visible pantie line either.

*Ironically, in view of your post, autocarrot tried to change "knickers" to "knockers", but I caught it in time.
---

Not just French - lots of English D'Eaths and D'Aeths. I think it's Middle English but I wouldn't put money on it.
Funnily enough boots is discussing thongs and health
Is your thong causing more harm than good? Let’s find out if wearing a thong is your thing
Are you a thong devotee? We totally get why! Thongs are lightweight, they look great and they work wonders for avoiding a visible panty line (VPL) compared to bigger underwear styles like briefs or shorts.

But with their skimpier design, thongs have a reputation for being bad for your intimate health. So, it’s time to do some myth-busting and get to the bottom line of whether there are or aren’t any health risks that come with wearing your favourite style of underwear…

Thongs… friend or foe?

Whilst the thin strip of fabric on a thong may be sleek and discreet, some people think that these can lead to an increased risk of conditions like thrush, bacterial vaginosis (BV) and urinary tract infections (UTIs) like cystitis.

Contrary to popular belief, there’s no concrete evidence to suggest that wearing thongs is actually bad for your vulva and your health. A study from 2005* looked directly at string underwear and found that it doesn’t mess with the pH balance and the microclimate down there or even the friendly bacteria found on your skin. So, any worries about thongs causing chaos? Myth!

Another study from 2018** decided to tackle the question we’ve all wanted the answer to: do thongs lead to UTIs, BV or vaginal thrush? The study found no evidence to back up the idea that thongs can cause these issues, so that’s another myth debunked!

The key to comfort in underwear lies in selecting the right materials and practicing good hygiene habits. If you’re a thong enthusiast, don’t worry, you can strut your stuff without worry. Choosing the right underwear and caring for them can make all the difference.

Here are seven things to keep in mind when wearing a thong or any type of underwear.

Choose cotton

When it comes to underwear fabrics, cotton is queen. Cotton allows our skin to breathe, whereas manmade fibres don’t allow that. So, remember to stock up on cotton essentials to help keep a happy and healthy downstairs.

On the flip side, steer clear of synthetic materials like nylon. These fabrics trap moisture, creating a breeding ground for bacteria and increasing the likelihood of infections. Choose natural fibres when you can to keep things cool and comfortable.

Stay fresh

Just like you wouldn’t wear yesterday’s socks, the same goes for your underwear. Make it a habit to change into fresh pairs every day to maintain optimal hygiene and freshness. Your vulva will thank you.

Wash with care

When it’s laundry day, reach for a hypoallergenic soap. These are gentle yet effective and can clean your delicates, without causing any unwanted irritation. Treat your underwear with the same TLC you give to the rest of your wardrobe.

Go commando

Give your vulva some well-deserved freedom by going commando when you can. Letting your skin breathe while you catch those Zs can help prevent the build-up of moisture and keep things fresh 'til the morning. A loose pair of pyjama bottoms or a dress can allow some air flow.

Fit is everything

Remember, fit is everything when it comes to underwear. Avoid overly tight styles that can restrict airflow and cause discomfort. Instead, choose snug yet breathable options that move with your body.

Choosing underwear for workouts

When breaking a sweat, choose moisture-wicking fabrics like polyester to keep you dry and comfortable during your workouts. Look out for seamless styles to minimise chafing and irritation, allowing you to focus on crushing those fitness goals.

Replace every year (if you can afford to)

If it’s within your budget, don’t forget to refresh your underwear annually. Over time, elastic can lose its stretch and fabrics can lose their quality, compromising both comfort and hygiene. Treat yourself to some new underwear every year for a wardrobe refresh. Your down there deserves some self-care too.

So, there you have it, the truth behind thongs. With a few simple tips, you can wear your thongs with confidence, knowing you’re taking care of your intimate health along the way. Say goodbye to myths and hello to comfort, because when it comes to thongs, it’s all about finding the perfect balance between style and wellbeing.

*Runeman B, Rybo G, Forsgren-Brusk U, Larkö O, Larsson P, Faergemann J. The vulvar skin microenvironment: impact of tight-fitting underwear on microclimate, pH and microflora. Acta Derm Venereol. 2005;85(2):118-22

**Hamlin, Alyssa MD; Sheeder, Jeanelle MD; Muffly, Tyler MD. Brief vs Thong Hygiene in Obstetrics and Gynecology (B-THONG): A Survey Study [1J]. Obstetrics & Gynecology 131():p 108S, May 2018