Mumsnet #38 imagine spending £100 on a notebook and writing 'bleach arsehole' in it

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You’re all so very common aren’t you? I had an ex public schoolboy mercenary (think Simon Mann) prise a diamond from the fingers of an 8 year old.

Application submitted. Have sent off for another one - head of litigation at one of the big 5. Under experience I’ve said “25 years being a patronising bleep online”.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Oh, is it another "nobody who is truly in love spends more than £2.50 on their wedding, I got married in a car park wearing a carrier bag" race to the bottom?

I find that phenomenon so odd. They're obsessed with class, they'll have flame wars about supposed class signifiers and who is highest up the social system, yet the subject turns to weddings and suddenly you can't be cheap and crap enough. Nothing at all wrong with a low key wedding, of course, but that's all it is: a low key wedding, not proof of the quality of the marriage. Why is that? Is it because weddings are thought to be a true class signifier and they're pissed off because they couldn't afford St Paul's Cathedral and a £50k dress of fairy wings and unicorn tails?

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I find adding flavour to meals very common.
Bouquet garni is of course processed. We should be asking ourselves ‘would my grandmother have cooked with this?’ and as my grandmother wouldn’t have recognised bouquet garni with a label on it I’m going to pass.

Cadburys Mini Rolls are though firmly on the menu.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Bouquet garni is of course processed. We should be asking ourselves ‘would my grandmother have cooked with this?’ and as my grandmother wouldn’t have recognised bouquet garni with a label on it I’m going to pass.

Some of us dont have a grandmother as she is dead and cant ask her about bouquet garni.
Im now shaking and sobbing behind the sofa.*

*Not really, eating a doughnut pretending to work.

• Haha
Speaking of grandmothers, one unpleasant sounding poster is threatening to leave a spoonful of her grandmother’s ashes under the floorboards of her house when she moves, to ‘haunt her buyers’. She was surprised everyone ignored this scary threat and concentrated on a multi page discussion of whether or not you have to buy your own wheelie bin (turns out, in the very worst case scenario for any MN thread) that sometimes you do and sometimes you don’t so the majority of posters have now exploded in confusion.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
MN would be proud of me, I just had a massive salad. It was very nice. Not as nice as the massive bag of crisps and wedge of cheese, though.
---
Speaking of grandmothers, one unpleasant sounding poster is threatening to leave a spoonful of her grandmother’s ashes under the floorboards of her house when she moves, to ‘haunt her buyers’. She was surprised everyone ignored this scary threat and concentrated on a multi page discussion of whether or not you have to buy your own wheelie bin (turns out, in the very worst case scenario for any MN thread) that sometimes you do and sometimes you don’t so the majority of posters have now exploded in confusion.
I saw that but I assumed she was joking.

I should never make assumptions like that on MN though, should I?

Silly moo is angry that she sold the house at a lower price after negotiations and blames the buyers. If you thought you could get more then why did you sell it for that??

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I find adding flavour to meals very common.
I agree, food is fuel and it doesn’t need flavour, it needs to power you for the day. We’ve lost sight of what real food is.
---
Oh, is it another "nobody who is truly in love spends more than £2.50 on their wedding, I got married in a car park wearing a carrier bag" race to the bottom?

I find that phenomenon so odd. They're obsessed with class, they'll have flame wars about supposed class signifiers and who is highest up the social system, yet the subject turns to weddings and suddenly you can't be cheap and crap enough. Nothing at all wrong with a low key wedding, of course, but that's all it is: a low key wedding, not proof of the quality of the marriage. Why is that? Is it because weddings are thought to be a true class signifier and they're pissed off because they couldn't afford St Paul's Cathedral and a £50k dress of fairy wings and unicorn tails?
If you post that on Mumsnet they’ll start telling you all the stats about wedding cost and length of marriage until anyone who paid more than £100 for their whole wedding feels like they’re on the verge of divorce.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Thing is, they always say about vanity sizing but I still fit into clothes I bought in the early 2000s - and actually I’m finding I have to buy bigger sizes in some new clothes than my old ones are. I think some of the clothes in the 70s and 80s were cut for different shapes - even when I had a BMI of 17 I couldn’t get into a vintage 16. MN would probably have told me I needed to lose weight…
The thing that always bothers me is that women’s dress sizes are based on measurements taken from women in (I think) the 50s and when the women were measured most were wearing underwear of a kind you don’t see today, so it stands to reason that older clothes fit differently, because they were designed and fitted to women wearing girdles and bullet-type bras. You just can’t wear a 50s/60s dress with a thong and a modern bra as it probably won’t fit properly, because it wasn’t designed for a belly or boobs in a bra that doesn’t look like a parachute harness. Some brands have changed things a bit but fundamentally women’s clothes are cut to fit very old standards and very old-fashioned underpinnings. It’s tends to also be why plus-size clothing fits so badly, in general. You can’t just size up standard sizes as bigger women tend to have proportionately bigger bellies, thighs and arms, but so many brands don’t take account of this.

• Heart
The thing that always bothers me is that women’s dress sizes are based on measurements taken from women in (I think) the 50s and when the women were measured most were wearing underwear of a kind you don’t see today, so it stands to reason that older clothes fit differently, because they were designed and fitted to women wearing girdles and bullet-type bras. You just can’t wear a 50s/60s dress with a thong and a modern bra as it probably won’t fit properly, because it wasn’t designed for a belly or boobs in a bra that doesn’t look like a parachute harness. Some brands have changed things a bit but fundamentally women’s clothes are cut to fit very old standards and very old-fashioned underpinnings. It’s tends to also be why plus-size clothing fits so badly, in general. You can’t just size up standard sizes as bigger women tend to have proportionately bigger bellies, thighs and arms, but so many brands don’t take account of this.
You've nailed it. It's actually nothing to do with "vanity"... it's just shops readjusting to who the customer is now, and shapes and sizes have changed and continue to change. It's a complete headache, but one thing it is not is a play to "vanity". The number of shops that make a point of showing they carry plus sizes is surely an indication that they're not just trying to fudge numbers to make people think they're teeny tiny.

Reactions: 9

Only the jam ones. The raspberry in one counts towards your 5-a-day.

The chocolate ones are muck and full of chemicals.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Ooooh there's a thread in Style and Beauty about a Me and Em dress and someone has come along and linked to Batsheva and other Batshita dresses that are NOTHING like the original dress. I mean, WTAF :ROFLMAO:. It's like a handful of posters have a word document with all these rank dresses linked on that they copy and paste into MN when anyone asks about dresses.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

Dammit, I'm craving cadbury mini rolls now but I have to attend a finance meeting in 5 mins and have no time to go the shop. Whatever sadist scheduled a finance meeting for 3.45pm on a friday afternoon must be a mumsnetter. Likely terrified those of us working from home might log off before 5pm

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Ooooh there's a thread in Style and Beauty about a Me and Em dress and someone has come along and linked to Batsheva and other Batshita dresses that are NOTHING like the original dress. I mean, WTAF :ROFLMAO:. It's like a handful of posters have a word document with all these rank dresses linked on that they copy and paste into MN when anyone asks about dresses.
It’s like someone said show me depression expressed as a dress.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Ooooh there's a thread in Style and Beauty about a Me and Em dress and someone has come along and linked to Batsheva and other Batshita dresses that are NOTHING like the original dress. I mean, WTAF :ROFLMAO:
Arent me and em dresses usually a bit more fitted and a bit sexier than that? I used to wear them to work when I was younger and nearer to the size french end of the scale than where I am now, firmly wedged in size Asda or whatever the fat and common signifier du jour is.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
You’re all so very common aren’t you? I had an ex public schoolboy mercenary (think Simon Mann) prise a diamond from the fingers of an 8 year old.

Application submitted. Have sent off for another one - head of litigation at one of the big 5. Under experience I’ve said “25 years being a patronising bleep online”.
I was just wondering how your applications were going.
Have you thought about a hedge fund manager. Bet that's deffo 6 figures.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I was just wondering how your applications were going.
Have you thought about a hedge fund manager. Bet that's deffo 6 figures.
Definitely as a side hustle! I found a couple of quid down the back of the sofa, ironed a couple of shirts and now have £10 mil to play with.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
There are no words . . . ☹

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.