Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

VC10

VIP Member
That must have been further back than the 80s. I got married early 80s and our (very intimate - think 16 guests) wedding cost way more than that.

I've been to an inexpensive wedding. It was in a community centre, the aunties provided the buffet, and the uncles provided the bar. It was an absolutely fantastic night.

That wedding lives long in the memories of all those who were there - almost fifty years ago!

It certainly lives much longer than the posh hotel or castle events that are sooooo production-line in their presentation and effect on the memory.
Our family's had loads of do's like that and we've all really enjoyed them over the years

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Sunlifeover50

VIP Member
They just love a pile on don’t they.

There’s one in 30 days about a neighbours garden and pulling out weeds. They shouldn’t have done what they did but honestly she’s been accused of killing baby robins and hedgehogs for pulling out a few weeds- she’s never even mentioned seeing a nest or totally destroying the garden just pulling out a few tall weeds. It’s some sort of shared garden and there’s been rats. The whole thread is totally bonkers.

• Wow

Blurp

VIP Member
@Blurp They must be around - I’ve found them as far south as coop auchterarder. If the Kingdom doesn’t have any, they ought renounce themselves.
They're around, just not the same. Not made in Aberdeen and solid rather than light and layered 😭. You could use them for discus events.

Now my parents are no more I don't have an excuse to go north for supplies 😢.

• Sad

Duchessofmanchester

Chatty Member
Mumsnetters really reveal their lack of morals on so many threads. Yeah people eating too much, drinking too much, smoking, taking drugs, having children, surfing, wearing heels, doing DIY, sunbathing, running, driving cars, EVERYTHING costs the nhs money. So if there’s a woman who has six kids, is five stone over weight, sunbathes every day and wears heels and she falls over and breaks her ankle do I want MY TAX MONEY going to fix her ankle? Yes! Please fix her ankle! Why is that even a question!

They show themselves up on threads about free school meals, kids getting TAs, fat people, people who smoke, alcoholics, disabled people - everywhere really! I would rather a few ‘scroungers’ get away with claiming benefits when they really should be working/working more/not getting any help, than a disabled person suffers or a child suffers or someone goes without something they need.

We are supposed to be a society which is really just a big family, which when you look at it like that makes a lot of sense why MNers hate society, they’ve gone NC with us 😂
But God Forbid you vote Tory on there then they're throwing abuse at you for being an uncaring selfish bitch and leaving their husbands for ticking the "wrong box" on a piece of paper.
Interestingly they keep being re elected so surely some MNs are voting for them?

Captainmouse

VIP Member
I feel like in true MN fashion they probably secretly love it that their 6ft tall hollow legged husbands have to wear speedos. It'sprobably another tick for France.
If it were the other way around and the women had to wear bikinis, they'd be fucking outraged.

I believe the official reason is for safety - can't get clothes caught on slides/hooks etc in pools. Womens swimwear tends to not be baggy but I think technically the same rule applies (no loose clothing).
I thought it was to prevent normal outdoor clothing, I.e. shorts being worn in the pool 🤷‍♀️

doctordoctor

VIP Member
My mum and aunt love ironing (wierdo’s) and will ‘rub over’ everything ‘to get the peg marks out’. Including dishcloths. When my cousin’s son spent a week with gran, he came home full of the fact his socks and pants were ironed and folded. Cousin - aye, you’re home now flower, just rummage in the laundry basket.
I enjoy ironing…I iron everything too!

• Wow
  • Haha

bread-pitt

Chatty Member
I thought it was to prevent normal outdoor clothing, I.e. shorts being worn in the pool 🤷‍♀️
That’s what I thought too. People wear board shorts as regular clothes. So they insist on Speedo’s to ensure that people have changed from their regular clothes.

kendallroysdownfall

Chatty Member
My OH plays trendy channels in his car, despite being in his seventh decade (think early sixties).

Anyway, my most repeated comment on listening to the dirges played is 'You know no-one will remember this tune in a few years, far less decades from now ....'

His response is usually along the lines of 'You sound more like your mother every day .....'

My conclusion? He's raging against the ageing process via the medium of music! 😁
I agree with you 100%. Everything sounds the same with a few standout bangers like Take me to Church.

• Heart

sistersofpercy

VIP Member
I’ve spent a lot of time sat around the pools at Disney in Paris and rarely saw a pair of budgie smugglers. Mostly board shorts type things.

But then I’ve never been to a posh French pool.

ShopTilYouSlop

Chatty Member
I don't wear them day to day, but when the occasion comes, I'm in my skyscraper heels. I'm told they're outdated, cringe, whatever...don't care. MN can have them when they prise them off my cold, dead feet.

• Haha

ShopTilYouSlop

Chatty Member
I just knew the PN thread would keep me entertained 🤣🤣 looks at this for a reply… big round of applause for this lady

Someone needs to invent a highly nutrious but filling wafer that melts on the tongue, only one required per meal.
Flavours would need to include -
Week old chicken
Massive salad
One small square of really dark chocolate
Middle class aspirations
6 figure salary and
Niche hobby.
I hear Willy Wonka is working on it.
---
Oh...my experience of flying is that they always give you a snack shortly after taking off (I guess to reassure you) and the meal comes about two hours after that. It may mean eating at a funny time if it's a night flight but they can't exactly go 8 hours without feeding passengers, and not everyone's body clock will be on local time. I remember taking a night flight back from Australia and being so hungry!

Last edited:

orangehead

VIP Member
I know the first rule of MN is that on any thread about a famous person, by the end of the first page someone must comment ‘Who? Never heard of them’ in order to signal how highbrow and clever they are, but I find it impossible to believe there are multiple people on MN, and therefore regularly accessing the internet, who have never heard of Taylor Swift. 🙄
Has someone really asked who taylor swift is? 😂

• Haha

Affiliatemebaby

VIP Member
Thanks, people. I really am tempted. A friend is doing it and is losing weight really well. She eats three normal meals a day too, but small portions, and hasn’t really had many side effects.

Serene Serena

VIP Member
I’ve just read the ops posts on that one and she actually is having an affair so if her husband sees her typing on Mumsnet loads and checks her phone, he’ll find out! Or maybe he has a thread running around elsewhere about how he knows his wife is having an affair but he isn’t confronting her yet and has started an affair of his own. What a tangled web!
Oh bless her, she's trying to get the thread deleted now

Where is the report button please?

I still think it's made up.

Hollaaa

VIP Member
I have what I suspect might be mill girl boots, by Lanx, but this is for cultural reasons as my DNanna worked in a mill making towels. In Lancashire.
---
I don't mind if people slag them off though, they were expensive and the top cuts my leg when I walk if I don't wear enormosocks.

Last edited: