Mumsnet #34 beep beep witches!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m doing probate and selling my dear dead DM’s house. It’s costing me thousands and I’m saving receipts to show my bro when I take all that precious cash out of the inheritance when we finally get it. My bro is a lovely and reasonable bloke but I’m still worried it’s going to look shady 🤦🏾‍♀️ e.g. I spent £500 on getting docs translated! I need it back!

OTOH he could have done all this death admin himself 😑

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
I’m doing probate and selling my dear dead DM’s house. It’s costing me thousands and I’m saving receipts to show my bro when I take all that precious cash out of the inheritance when we finally get it. My bro is a lovely and reasonable bloke but I’m still worried it’s going to look shady 🤦🏾‍♀️ e.g. I spent £500 on getting docs translated! I need it back!

Condolences on losing your mum, that must be tough. As your brother is a lovely and reasonable bloke, I don't think you need to start a thread for advice on Mumsnet just yet. When he accuses you of fraud, however, I shall expect a 3 thread saga of how awful he is, with a cast of characters including friend A, B, C,D and E and other relatives, Aunt X, Uncle Y and Cousin Z.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Condolences on losing your mum, that must be tough. As your brother is a lovely and reasonable bloke, I don't think you need to start a thread for advice on Mumsnet just yet. When he accuses you of fraud, however, I shall expect a 3 thread saga of how awful he is, with a cast of characters including friend A, B, C,D and E and other relatives, Aunt X, Uncle Y and Cousin Z.
Thank you! Can’t do two reacts so here is also a ❤

Reactions: 5
Oh God, I used to work with a woman who fell for a romance scam. It didn't matter what anyone said to her, she was convinced her handsome blond, blue eyed American service man called Steve was genuinely in love with her and wanted to marry her and whisk her away to a life of luxury in his Californian beach house. He was on the front line in Afghanistan. Then he had a problem (due to the army cocking up his pay) flying to the UK to see her, he didn't have enough money for the flight. Then his little boy (they always have a little boy) needed surgery and he couldn't access his USA bank account, it got to the point where she was having her house valued so she could sell it and send him the money he needed. Christ on a bike, she was thick. Eventually, her family intervened and it all stopped. She was genuinely heartbroken.
The was a thread on Mumsnet in relationships quite recently by a woman worried about her colleague who was falling for a romance scam. She had already sent some money but was going to send more. I forget all the details but it was a celebrity who I think was married and she was worried about showing her he was married or had shown her but the ‘celebrity’ had told her they were just together for their careers, I forget now, does anyone remember? If it was true I wonder what happened! It reminded me of the catfish episode where the man thought he was in a years long relationship with katy perry 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 5
The was a thread on Mumsnet in relationships quite recently by a woman worried about her colleague who was falling for a romance scam. She had already sent some money but was going to send more. I forget all the details but it was a celebrity who I think was married and she was worried about showing her he was married or had shown her but the ‘celebrity’ had told her they were just together for their careers, I forget now, does anyone remember? If it was true I wonder what happened! It reminded me of the catfish episode where the man thought he was in a years long relationship with katy perry 😂
I remember the thread and I remember the catfish episode. Katie Perry actually video called the man to say it wasn't her and he was being scammed but he still thought she was being forced to say that, and that she did really love him despite everything.

I can't remember who the celebrity was on Mumsnet though - was it a comedian? Alan Davies?

I got Insta follows from Martin Kemp, Chesney Hawkes, Owen Wilson and Bruce Willis recently. The only one I think is genuine is Bruce because he's got dementia and probably thinks he knows me :D

• Haha
Reactions: 15
One of my friends fell for a romance scammer. Except they were pretending to be Adam Richman from Man Vs Food. She genuinely believed it was him and even gave them money for a flight over here to visit her. It didn't cross her mind that he probably could afford his own tickets and wouldn't be asking her for money. Even when he didn't turn up at the airport she still believed the excuses. I gave up in the end as there was just no making her see sense
---
Currently loving the thread about a child practically traumatised from learning about Jesus being nailed to the cross when easter is just bunnies and chocolate 🤣
We've lost sight of what a crucifixion looks like

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Yes I remember this but also can't think who the "celeb" was. I've got a feeling it was someone who's been on I'm A Celebrity. Let me see if I can find it.

These romance scammers really are a special kind of scumbag. The original 419 "please help me get this money out of the country" scams at least appealed to people's greed, but these bastards are playing on the vulnerabilities of very lonely people.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
That’s it! Jeremy Kyle 😂 I think as the thread developed someone told her he’d actually just had a baby with his wife and op was worried about showing the colleague or had shown the colleague and he said it was a lie or something, I forget now but apparently this woman really believed she was in a relationship with Jeremy Kyle! It sounds made up but it’s happened to a lot of people. I would never believe a celebrity was messaging me and I wouldn’t have a relationship with someone I couldn’t meet within a week but then I’m in a privileged position of never feeling lonely so I can’t say what that feeling would do to someone over a long period of time, maybe desperation for a connection will make them believe anything just to keep having that relationship. Which is really sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I’m on a few pop star fan pages and a couple of times a month, sometimes more a band member or pop star will friend request or message me to chat. They get reported and blocked instantly. As lovely as it would be, Simon Le Bon has better things to do than chat to me 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12

I’m mid probate too. One of the beneficiaries is being an utter arse and thinks they know better than I do, and keeps sending me letters with instructions on what I have to do and accompanying demands. When they get the accounts there will be an utter tit storm as I’ve already been told there’s no debts and no IHT to pay (there are debts, and I won’t know about IHt until I’ve collected the estate).

Doesn’t seem to get that I don’t have the money, I can’t distribute the week after probate is granted, and there is a legal process to follow.

Eta though- if he disagrees with your accounting he’ll need to take you to probate court. Probably around £30-50k in legal fees which he won’t get back if you have acted correctly. Which is why dodgy executors nearly always get away with it.

Reactions: 8
I’m on a few pop star fan pages and a couple of times a month, sometimes more a band member or pop star will friend request or message me to chat. They get reported and blocked instantly. As lovely as it would be, Simon Le Bon has better things to do than chat to me 🤣
Owen Wilson of Hollywood fame, messaged me saying “my dear true fan, can we converse and have friendship?” Bless him. I also got a personal message from David Cassidy, 70s popstar, who died a few years ago. Weird because I’m not a fan of either man, living or dead.

I did get an actual real message from the real Chesney Hawkes though when I posted a photo of him at Butlins Skeggy last year.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I’m mid probate too. One of the beneficiaries is being an utter arse and thinks they know better than I do, and keeps sending me letters with instructions on what I have to do and accompanying demands. When they get the accounts there will be an utter tit storm as I’ve already been told there’s no debts and no IHT to pay (there are debts, and I won’t know about IHt until I’ve collected the estate).

Doesn’t seem to get that I don’t have the money, I can’t distribute the week after probate is granted, and there is a legal process to follow.

Eta though- if he disagrees with your accounting he’ll need to take you to probate court. Probably around £30-50k in legal fees which he won’t get back if you have acted correctly. Which is why dodgy executors nearly always get away with it.
Sorry you're in the mire too x There's not £50k in this estate and he knows that so he'll have to accept whatever. WHICH WILL BE ENTIRELY FAIR ☝🏼

Reactions: 6
I've just ordered a bright orange strappy maxi dress for summer which I will be accessorising with a tan and sparkly flipflops. It was a a couple of quid on Vinted from Monsoon originally. I am definitely not going to be mistaken for a Mumsnetter, it doesn't look anything like a shroud.
I've been looking for something like that for ages but I'm also a little worried, because I'm quite short, that I will be mistaken for a traffic cone 😞

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.