Mumsnet #30 Six figure salary, never eats a calorie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My inlaws wanted the kids to call Grandad 'Pops' :ROFLMAO: . duck off with that, as the mother of the oldest grandchild he's now been Grandad for 27 years
I used to call my grandma "grandma with the white door" for about 6 months. We still can't figure out my thought process there! To differentiate from my other grandma who had a brown door I guess!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
My cousin is 20 years older than me. I once went to an off licence with him - he was IDed on his purchase and I was not.

Reactions: 4
Kids call both sets of grandparents Grandma and Grandad, so it has become far away grandma and nearby grandma!

MIL was already grandma to our nieces and nephew and my mum did not want to be nanny!

One of my granddads was pop … he wasn’t supposed to be but cousin number one made a unilateral decision and we all just followed suit. It was being called popsicle when it was cold that he didn’t really appreciate.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Mumsnetters make everything a bloody competition. So we have competitive undereating, competitive youthfulness and now drumroll...how long carpets last!

There are posters who honestly reckon their 25 year old carpet looks as good as the day it was laid

• Haha
Reactions: 18
There is a post about overrated holiday destinations to which someone has responded Paris stating it was dirty, run down and crime ridden and of course someone jumps in stating it’s for culture and high end cuisine so not for everyone. Can’t tell if they’re being sarcastic..

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My boss does genuinely look really young but partly because she is quite plain with sort of featureless features (and also a bit plump). Not to be unkind, she’s lovely and very very clever and professional.

That’s not the sort of youth they would want I guess 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Imagine the conversation 🤣

“Do you want to come to my house for supper tomorrow?”
“Sorry but I can’t Venetia, I’m going to my Nonna’s house this weekend”
“Oh, I didn’t know you were part Italian”
“Erm I’m not, it’s just what my grandmother likes to be called…I didn’t know you could speak Italian”
“Well obviously I speak fluent French, Italian, Spanish and Latin. My mummy insisted on it so I could sniff out pretentious little oiks like youself”

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I just look deranged on my passport photo.
Which is marginally better than my previous one where I looked like Shrek.
Husband looks like he's escaped from the loony bin in his.
I'm surprised anyone let's us past border control to be honest.
My passport done 2 years ago has a lovely little ink smudge- right above my upper lip! So I look like a hitler enthusiast. I’m going to New York in March. Can’t wait to see what they make of it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Imagine the conversation 🤣

“Do you want to come to my house for supper tomorrow?”
“Sorry but I can’t Venetia, I’m going to my Nonna’s house this weekend”
“Oh, I didn’t know you were part Italian”
“Erm I’m not, it’s just what my grandmother likes to be called…I didn’t know you could speak Italian”
“Well obviously I speak fluent French, Italian, Spanish and Latin. My mummy insisted on it so I could sniff out pretentious little oiks like youself”
Cultural appropriation ☠
I have a friend who doesn't want to be called Granny/Grandma etc. She wants to called Birdie. She's also only 43 and American so Mumsnetters will dislike her just for existing.

Isn't Nonna just a follow on for all the Mummy Influencers who insisted that their children definitely did called them Mamma.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I don’t know anyone who isn’t of italian descent who calls their grandmother Nonna so I’m afraid I’m with the Mumsnetters who are telling OP she’s being pretentious.

Reactions: 12
My ex MIL demanded her grandkids call her Nonna. We are all (very) white Australians. Thank god I never got around to giving her any.

• Haha
Both my daughters in law are forriners, so the other grandparents are called lovely exotic grandparent type names, whereas we're just plain old Grandma and Grandpa.
What a missed opportunity to be exotic and pretentious! I secretly imagined being a grandmere a bit like Patsy's mother, Eleanor Bron, in AbFab.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.