Mumsnet #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The "help, my adult daughter got a tattoo" thread is horrendous.

Normally at least the OP may be batshit but there'll be a decent ratio of sensible to ridiculous from other posters. Not here. So much hand-wringing about creating perfect humans with perfect skin and them destroying it with tattoos... 🤦🏼‍♀️
That always reminds me of that Guardian problem page article.
Found it: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo
Will be surprised if no-one on the thread has mentioned it.

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Normally at least the OP may be batshit but there'll be a decent ratio of sensible to ridiculous from other posters. Not here. So much hand-wringing about creating perfect humans with perfect skin and them destroying it with tattoos... 🤦🏼‍♀️
This thread is something else. One poster claiming that people getting tattoos could be because they have a controlling partner forcing them to. They are actually unhinged.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
i remember a deleted thread a few weeks ago in relationships where the OP wanted advice on how to break the news to guy she had been seeing that she was pregnant. she was clear she wasn’t seeing him anymore but one poster in particular gave her absolute hell for trying to trap him.

on the same day the same angry poster showed up on another thread cheering on an OP considering sleeping with a younger man at work while she worked out her divorce. where’s the consistency?

Reactions: 8

Never ever discuss tattoos on Mumsnet. Suddenly it turns into the 1950s. People swooning and appalled at a bit of ink. They make you look cheap and nasty, don’t they? Did you know they last FOREVER?

And the old classic - tattoos are so commonplace you stand out more if you DON’T have one. Fnar fnar.

Don’t get me wrong, most people have tit tattoos and there are a lot of crappy tattoo artists out there. But… so what? It’s their choice!

Reactions: 16

Just come here to post about that … “ruining her beloved body” 😂😂😂

• Haha
The style and beauty threads kill me.
There's one at the moment, everyone falling over themselves to rave about an item the OP has posted which really isn't very nice at all. They're such an echo chamber though, the first poster says that's lovely and they all follow suit. Ditto if it's something they don't like. Ugh.

I made the mistake of posting for outfit suggestions once. Never again!
The wedding dress or the valentines dress and the boots she wants to wear with it?!

The wedding dress is ugly and those boots will NOT match the dress

Reactions: 4
The style and beauty threads kill me.
There's one at the moment, everyone falling over themselves to rave about an item the OP has posted which really isn't very nice at all. They're such an echo chamber though, the first poster says that's lovely and they all follow suit. Ditto if it's something they don't like. Ugh.

I made the mistake of posting for outfit suggestions once. Never again!
I’ll always remember a thread someone posted on there asking for advice about doing her make up. She posted a few photos of herself and everyone was falling over themselves to say ‘oooh you are stunning’ and ‘oh you‘re so pretty’, but without sounding unkind she was neither stunning nor ‘so pretty’. She was just a very ordinary looking, if slightly frumpy, woman. Nothing wrong with that, but instead of commenting on her skin or hair and tell her what she could do feel better about herself, they just kept telling her how beautiful she was. It was bleeping weird, and I felt like I’d fallen into a parallel dimension or something.

I saw that one and deliberately steered clear as I knew it would likely to be ridiculous, sounds like it was the right choice to 👍🏽

I’ll always remember a thread someone posted on there asking for advice about doing her make up. She posted a few photos of herself and everyone was falling over themselves to say ‘oooh you are stunning’ and ‘oh you‘re so pretty’, but without sounding unkind she was neither stunning nor ‘so pretty’. She was just a very ordinary looking, if slightly frumpy, woman. Nothing wrong with that, but instead of commenting on her skin or hair and tell her what she could do feel better about herself, they just kept telling her how beautiful she was. It was bleeping weird, and I felt like I’d fallen into a parallel dimension or something.
i think it’s some sort of superiority complex/possible guilt? I don’t mean people say it in a nasty or mocking way either. But like when people fall over themselves to leave comment on a pic of a middle aged or elderly man whose hairline has massively receded and has a few strands of wispy longish hair dressed in a dress and heels and lipstick “omg, you’re gorgeous” and “wow, wish I could look that good”. It’s false, I think, but I don’t think in a nasty way, but from a superior point of view like “I better say this to make them feel better even though I don’t truly think so”. If that makes sense?? I know what I mean, lol.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
There is currently a thread running about Victoria Beckham’s eating habits and the amount of posters getting defensive and trying to say she looks fine and her diet is healthy is shocking.

Reactions: 13
I really fancied some belly laughs tonight so decided to look up some toilet brush threads

Screenshot 2022-02-01 10.10.17 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I read one earlier about the useless husband who forgot to get an envelope from work to post a letter and sent it to the admin building instead of a specific person.

The newborn ones really annoy me and I don’t know anyone in real life who said no visitors after the birth and not letting anyone but the mother hold the baby. I agree that it’s always the evil in laws who demand drinks, hog the baby and the OP’s mother who is saintly and does all the housework and cooks a meal while she’s visiting.

Reactions: 11
That always reminds me of that Guardian problem page article.
Found it: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo
Will be surprised if no-one on the thread has mentioned it.
Oh, that poor boy. Imagine coming home and realising that your mother is a demented harpy, who thinks that you're one of her posessions, just because she took you to the dentist when you were a kid 🙄
At least she can console herself with the fact that he definitely won't be getting one of those heart tattoos with the word "Mum" inked across it! 🤣

I read one earlier about the useless husband who forgot to get an envelope from work to post a letter and sent it to the admin building instead of a specific person.

The newborn ones really annoy me and I don’t know anyone in real life who said no visitors after the birth and not letting anyone but the mother hold the baby. I agree that it’s always the evil in laws who demand drinks, hog the baby and the OP’s mother who is saintly and does all the housework and cooks a meal while she’s visiting.
The envelope one was hilarious. In our houses it would have been

Me. Did you post the letter and address it to Ms Specific in Specific department?

Husband tit, no

Me. Knobhead, oh well, it will get there

Then move on. On that thread, her husband is practically abusive and gaslighting her and she needs to get her ducks on a row and hide money and ltb!!

• Haha
There seems to be a really odd defence of ALL teachers on mumsnet . like there can be bad lawyers, bad binmen, bad doctors, bad husbands etc but god forbid anyone say a teacher is bad. You know straight away that the responses are it’s either the parent or the child at fault. Having worked in a school and having 2 children going through different stages of education I can honestly say that not all teachers are made the same (how could they be).

• Heart
Reactions: 21
The envelope one was hilarious. In our houses it would have been

Me. Did you post the letter and address it to Ms Specific in Specific department?

Husband tit, no

Me. Knobhead, oh well, it will get there

Then move on. On that thread, her husband is practically abusive and gaslighting her and she needs to get her ducks on a row and hide money and ltb!!
OK, so disclaimer, I haven’t seen the thread, but weaponised incompetence is real.

Would a man at work (especially a white collar six figure salary job that all MN husbands do 😉) get away with half arsing everything all the time? Not being bothered to address a letter to the correct person?

That’s probably why the thread blew up. All these posters projecting about their own husbands who resent having to do wifework and so do a deliberately crappy job of it.

Reactions: 10
OK, so disclaimer, I haven’t seen the thread, but weaponised incompetence is real.

Would a man at work (especially a white collar six figure salary job that all MN husbands do 😉) get away with half arsing everything all the time? Not being bothered to address a letter to the correct person?

That’s probably why the thread blew up. All these posters projecting about their own husbands who resent having to do wifework and so do a deliberately crappy job of it.
fancy writing a post on the internet because your husband wrote the wrong name on an envelope 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Now me personally, I wouldn't assume my Husband is abusing me or showing abusive behaviour because he didn't put a name on the envelope. Neither would I be "furious" and start a post about it on a random parenting site.

The reason the poster didnt do it herself is because she is on maternity and couldn't go out because of the storms last week. She also says that her Husband was in trouble with his Boss last week because he never posted a letter for him because no one in the office had a stamp so he definitely doesn't have an important job if he is posting letters for his boss, unless he is a Secretary or PA etc. (I'm not saying those jobs arent important btw I'm saying I wouldn't expect 6 figure salary workers to be dealing with their Bosses mail)

Replies include, he is training you to expect less of him and put up with it and does he have adhd or similar which is why he can't carry out tasks.

But then it's Mumsnet. They love an abusive man or convincing posters that their husbands are abusive. Ironic really

Reactions: 3
There seems to be a really odd defence of ALL teachers on mumsnet . like there can be bad lawyers, bad binmen, bad doctors, bad husbands etc but god forbid anyone say a teacher is bad. You know straight away that the responses are it’s either the parent or the child at fault. Having worked in a school and having 2 children going through different stages of education I can honestly say that not all teachers are made the same (how could they be).
Yup, this! All teachers are saints, but all midwives are terribly cruel, don’t care and their baby could have died because no one would listen.

This probs bothers me more than most because I’m a labour ward coordinator, I think I’m quite nice and honestly I really do care and try my best to look after everyone. And if I ever thought one of my team was being cruel, trust me I’d be pulling them up on it

Anyone seen the ghost thread? Absolute rubbish that one.. can already see it running into multiple threads, it’s screaming out troll.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.