Mumsnet #27 If you're only coming to goad, you're not getting our bleeping codes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love the angst they have about Christmas Eve boxes and they are far from new. My dad Used to tell me how he’d be given new pjs on Christmas eve and he was born in 1936.
I remember late seventies I’d be given a little Santa sack With a new nightshirt, bottle of matey and a book. I’d have a bath, put on my new nightie and go to bed with my book.
Its hardly a new thing, they just made the boxes fancier 😂
They've become more mainstream and they're easy to do affordably, which basically makes them working class to a certain type of MNer. The collective MN horror towards them is classism masquerading as morality. The accusations of wastefulness, excess and indulgence (it's a film night box, and anyway the whole point of Christmas is to go beyond what you do on ordinary days) are never levelled at anything deemed suitably middle class, like expensive tech, winter sunshine breaks or high quality organic food for Christmas lunch.

Reactions: 9
The pressure they put on themselves is immense. Fecking elf, North Pole breakfasts, 1st & Christmas Eve boxes. We always had new PJs as kids, our house was bloody freezing in the winter so that probably had sometime to do with it. When mine were little we’d bake on Christmas Eve and leave something out for Father Christmas that we made. No additional spending or instagramming

Reactions: 10
I'm actually really looking forward to all the "Christmas is ruined, sobbing and shaking" threads that are coming on Christmas Day. I intend to abandon the kids to the husband and in laws, disappear upstairs after Christmas lunch with some mulled wine and read them all in bed.

(Obviously not when something truly terrible has happened, but you know what 95% of those threads will be like.)
It will be splendid reading them on Christmas Evening, in bed 😃😃😆😆💀

• Haha
Reactions: 12
One of my cousins is a fecking terror every Christmas

We are regaled with Mumsnet-styled, "It's a bleak Christmas in the O'Sullivan's this year what with their mother dying last April and Patrick Junior losing his leg in that freak line dancing accident."

Every year some poor bastard's personal misery is related to us in a fake "isn't it awful? But I'm loving it!" style.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
One of my cousins is a fecking terror every Christmas

We are regaled with Mumsnet-styled, "It's a bleak Christmas in the O'Sullivan's this year what with their mother dying last April and Patrick Junior losing his leg in that freak line dancing accident."

Every year some poor bastard's personal misery is related to us in a fake "isn't it awful? But I'm loving it!" style.
My MIL is a bit like that, she absorbs everyone’s crap (then tries to dump it on us!)
She tells me stories about illness and tragedy, related to people I’ve never met. I’ve started to say “oh gosh, people do tend to burden you with the bad news l, don’t they?” <tinkly little laugh>, but alas, it falls on very deaf ears 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
A MNer has written her own version of Ty Dollar $ign’s Or Nah, which she claims was played at a 12 year old girl’s birthday party 💀💀💀💀

IMG_2988.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 6
My MIL is a bit like that, she absorbs everyone’s crap (then tries to dump it on us!)
She tells me stories about illness and tragedy, related to people I’ve never met. I’ve started to say “oh gosh, people do tend to burden you with the bad news l, don’t they?” <tinkly little laugh>, but alas, it falls on very deaf ears 🤣
My Nan was like that. In Victorian times she could have hired herself out as a professional mourner. The dispatches section of the local paper was her go to. Oooohhhhhh, she’s gone has she … only saw her in Tesco 2 years ago … wheres the funeral I‘ll have to see about going Or tell you who’s left us … her Mrs X - Y as was? He led her a dogs life but that second lad didn’t have his eyes, is all I’m saying. I’ll have to go and pay my respects.

I often wonder how many people wondered who the elderly lady in the squashy hat was camped In the back pew.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Bloody Christmas Eve boxes. I’ve managed to evade them but that’s only because one of my children’s birthdays is Christmas Eve 🤪 so I don’t save any money by not doing them 😂

Reactions: 5
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 09.45.01.png

Aye, you're a woman, because all the 30something women I know fall over themselves to say they have 'blunt banter' and 'Christ I fancy him' :rolleyes: in their OP. If it's not the MRAs who have infiltrated MN, it's perverts or weirdos like this.

Reactions: 5
My grandma was like that 😂 bless her, she passed away in 2019 and I know now she didn't mean it, but she did get on our nerves with all her doom-mongering. Funnily, all those tragedy-ridden folks she was telling us about continued to live on, often for many many years, despite her continuously worse retellings of ill health. My mum once told her that she seemed to know every fatally ill person in our city (it's rather big as well), but she didn't get the hint :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 8
All, Just a reminder to not give out codes to people on Mumsnet - especially not to randoms posting messages to get a code. That site is absolutely full to the brim with trolls and those trying to cause trouble. Codes are only to be given to people you know and trust. Mumsnet shouldn't be a backdoor to get banned trolls on tattle, best to ignore it. Thanks 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 50
All, Just a reminder to not give out codes to people on Mumsnet - especially not to randoms posting messages to get a code. That site is absolutely full to the brim with trolls and those trying to cause trouble. Codes are only to be given to people you know and trust. Mumsnet shouldn't be a backdoor to get banned trolls on tattle, best to ignore it. Thanks 🙏
I don’t even know what these codes are 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 6
Yes, not a fan of codes being given out, feel like the have an agenda. They've always looked down their nose at tattle and now all of a sudden there's daily posts about needing a code.

Reactions: 20
View attachment 2606980

Aye, you're a woman, because all the 30something women I know fall over themselves to say they have 'blunt banter' and 'Christ I fancy him' :rolleyes: in their OP. If it's not the MRAs who have infiltrated MN, it's perverts or weirdos like this.
And nobody would guess that poster's 41. Nobody! Nobody, I tell you!

I don't know what she thinks "acting 41" means, but insisting nobody would guess you're 41 and refusing to date anyone of 41 probably is acting 41.

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Yel

Yes, not a fan of codes being given out, feel like the have an agenda. They've always looked down their nose at tattle and now all of a sudden there's daily posts about needing a code.
People literally had 4+ years to create an account and July this year. From 2019-22 tattle was in the national press most months, with a very one sided not very objective opinion fluff thing. Virtually everyone has heard of tattle by now and had the chance to create an account.

So many from Mumsnet would come just to be twats and post on an influencer thread "genuine question why do you care? You sound jealous" then scuttle back to bemoan that they were banned because they think trolling a thread should be allowed. Or doing stuff to risk the whole site staying online and then totally lying about why they were banned to pretend bans are given unjustly and easily 🙄.

Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.