Mumsnet #27 If you're only coming to goad, you're not getting our bleeping codes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yet another post of ‘does anyone else have this awful cold?’ (I’ve no idea why people do this)
Followed by the classic:
‘Have you done a covid test?’
‘It’s probably covid’
‘You need to do an LFT’
‘I know you’ve tested neg twice but a consultant in the NHS told me the new strain doesn’t show until day 5’
‘You are describing Covid. Do a test’
And my favourite:
‘Have you never had a cold before? You should try having walking pneumonia!’

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Those people “in a highly paid role but do very little” can do one! I work my arse off, but earn duck all. Meh.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Anyone else seen the debate in school about sexism one? It's painful. Why do they all go on and on and bleeping ON about sexism and misogyny and feminism SO much. I think all those things are important but duck me you're not going to change the world on a dogshit forum full of nutters and the occasional Toast ad ( also I truly hate Toast clothes I just had a look as you're bombarded with it on there and i thought it was a joke lol )

• Haha
Reactions: 7
TBF I keep banging my drum about how bad log burners and open fires are for you as I just don't think people are aware. If you have one indoors it's not very dissimilar to smoking inside, and they are so so so bad for the environment as well. People don't seem to know. I didn't until a couple of years ago.
Yeah, but I'd rather have some heating the next time the power is cut off for three days due to storms. Farms and outlying houses are always last to be connected and our transformer is up at the back of a hill, two hills over. I grew up in rural Aberdeenshire and I know how to prepare: alternate source of heat, range hob fed by LPG bottles outside, deep freeze in outbuildings with milk and bread (preferably with a small genny to keep it going), corded telephone for landline kept in the drawer, etc.

Reactions: 12
Has anyone seen the laughable thread in chat entitled Future sister in law won't let me put my Christmas tree up?
Apparently the ops sis in law has told her that as the op is marrying into the family then she has to follow family traditions of when it can be put up.
Then apparently, said sis in law keeps driving past the house to ensure the op is obeying.

I'm sure it's a troll post.
If it's not then I'd be putting a massive tree up, complete with lights round the windows and a giant wavy Santa in the front garden, just to get her going!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Yeah, but I'd rather have some heating the next time the power is cut off for three days due to storms. Farms and outlying houses are always last to be connected and our transformer is up at the back of a hill, two hills over. I grew up in rural Aberdeenshire and I know how to prepare: alternate source of heat, range hob fed by LPG bottles outside, deep freeze in outbuildings with milk and bread (preferably with a small genny to keep it going), corded telephone for landline kept in the drawer, etc.
They're fine if only used in emergency situations like that, just not as a main or frequent heating source. I too grew up rurally so I know exactly what you mean!

This might be a dumb question...I understand that the wood burner would affect the people living in the house, but how doesn't it affect people outside? Is there lots of smoke being released from the house by it?
A well burnt stove used by someone who has the right sort of fuel and is used to building fires won’t release a huge amount but yes, particulates are released through the chimney into the air outside. And many fires and wood burners are using the wrong sort of fuel and not well built for fuel efficiency so release more. Many built up areas ban the use of open fires and non-eco stove use but that is ignored, and even eco-stoves are not great. In rural areas the exterior pollution is less significant because there’s more space for it to disperse.

We’ve had fires for years, and then rented with a wood burner, and I loved using them, but I don’t feel comfortable now having a real fire very much after reading about their effects. We now have a house with one and may light it on the odd day over Christmas (and would be glad of it of course in an emergency if we were cut off from utilities in some way) but I prefer other heat sources now.

It does feel like every nice thing in life turns out to be a problem sometimes.

Reactions: 7
In more MN hysterics, a poster has called the police as she can’t get in touch with her adult son at 10am the morning after a night out. He ‘lives in a rough area’ apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
"What do you wear on Christmas Day?"

View attachment 2605240

Has anybody ever seen linen looking smart? If they're lucky, it looks nice not actually awful for all of about 60 seconds fresh from the ironing service/maid she'll obviously be exploiting before it crumples into a potato bag.

Can't have animals with velvet trousers, either. Cord's bad enough, as it's lovely for exercising claws in and holds on to fluff and fur from all species, but velvet?

Reactions: 10
I’m lost already by the adult son gone missing thread. How does he live alone but in a house share? So he doesn’t live alone then does he 😆

Also, OP is like, ‘no he doesn’t live far, about 50 minutes drive’ well hey Here’s a thought why don’t you hop in your bleeding car and go and give him a knock? Chances are he’s hungover eating an egg McMuffin with a dead phone rather than been bummed into the canal and come a cropper, unfortunately for the grief thieves.

Probably not real, she’s just got bored while watching Saturday Kitchen 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Is this poster taking the piss? Or am I missing something?

ETA: it's an in joke related to this thread Should I be embarrassed about this or am I overthinking..
Friend of mine was in the queue at Tesco once and texted to say the woman in front of her had only lube and frozen sausages in her basket.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Friend of mine was in the queue at Tesco once and texted to say the woman in front of her had only lube and frozen sausages in her basket.
If that was my basket, the overthinker in me would throw in something else, because "what would people think seeing that basket". Given it's MN it's probably "DS has sensory issues and only tolerates sausages if they float down his throat on a slide of lube. I specially flavour it for him with homemade elderflower cordial" or
"My DH loves sausages and he's dead. Have you considered how your post makes others feel, OP?"

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.