Mumsnet #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just googled toast. I'm not sure what the fuss is about. they just look like any other generic jumper that you can buy from Tesco or next. I'm sure it's nice wool, but wool only costs so much. For that price I'd want a bit of design flare.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Just googled toast. I'm not sure what the fuss is about. they just look like any other generic jumper that you can buy from Tesco or next. I'm sure it's nice wool, but wool only costs so much. For that price I'd want a bit of design flare.

I suspect the flair they're buying is the price tag.

Reactions: 6
I recently wandered over there and found the contentious "play pen" thread. I previously got booted out over a Brexit row with an extremely obnoxious woman who lived in France (so clearly had skin in the game) and shouted down everyone because she was incensed at potentially having to give up her second home!

Anyway the play pen thread was the usual rubbish about cages and children being left to twiddle their thumbs for 12 hours a day. Only one lone voice articulated that given that half the MN threads are written by women in their knees because they feel the need to hold their children 24/7 and haven't had a shower, used the toilet alone and lived in a slum for 5 years, play pens are a useful item.

Having seen both sides of the parenting philosophy, I think that yelling at your child every three minutes to stop doing something dangerous is far more detrimental to their development than a child put somewhere safe to play during parts of the day while you get on with other things.

And as for the women who haven't had more than an hours sleep in a year being told it's totally normal and to "enjoy the snuggles". Batshit. It's not bleeping normal and is spouted by complete martyrs who clearly went to the misery loves company school of parenthood!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
In defence of Mint Velvet, I have a glorious pair of silver trainers from there which my then 23 year old made me buy... and I thank her every day I wear them! (I am 60, but reckon I can still rock them...)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I recently wandered over there and found the contentious "play pen" thread. I previously got booted out over a Brexit row with an extremely obnoxious woman who lived in France (so clearly had skin in the game) and shouted down everyone because she was incensed at potentially having to give up her second home!

Anyway the play pen thread was the usual rubbish about cages and children being left to twiddle their thumbs for 12 hours a day. Only one lone voice articulated that given that half the MN threads are written by women in their knees because they feel the need to hold their children 24/7 and haven't had a shower, used the toilet alone and lived in a slum for 5 years, play pens are a useful item.

Having seen both sides of the parenting philosophy, I think that yelling at your child every three minutes to stop doing something dangerous is far more detrimental to their development than a child put somewhere safe to play during parts of the day while you get on with other things.

And as for the women who haven't had more than an hours sleep in a year being told it's totally normal and to "enjoy the snuggles". Batshit. It's not bleeping normal and is spouted by complete martyrs who clearly went to the misery loves company school of parenthood!
I thought it was gold standard advice that if your completely pushed to the edge of what you can cope with then place the baby/little one in a safe place like a crib or play pen and step away until your calm/feel ok

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I thought it was gold standard advice that if your completely pushed to the edge of what you can cope with then place the baby/little one in a safe place like a crib or play pen and step away until your calm/feel ok

It is.

It's only Mumsnet (and abusive spouses/exes and gossipy neighbours/Mother in laws) who pile on to any woman doing that with emotive screeching about how the poor wee mite is permanently damaged by being put down and how no real mother could be so evil and unloving as to go into the next room and sob with frustration, fear, helplessness and exhaustion.

The rest of the world is somewhat more realistic in that whilst you can't lock them in the cupboard under the stairs, it's perfectly fine to try and protect your sanity for five minutes.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Oh god there is a thread on ‘how old do i look’ and the usual gassed comments, ‘you look lovely and glowing and look about 15’ when clearly she looks her age.

and she was offended when someone said 50’s when she is closer to that than what the gassers guessed 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Anyone seen the "weird" parenting thread.

Its classic mn. There are already judgy comments about sun tan lotion and squash, which was not the point in the thread. An accusation of racism over sucking snot out of a babies nose. And people crying mental health over weird behaviour. Not everything is down to mental health, some people are just weird.

• Sick
Reactions: 10
They’re currently debating whether statement necklaces are back. I mean, were they ever really ‘in’? At least of the type they’re on about. Some nice lady has posted a picture of hers, and it looks like one of those pasta necklaces kids come home with from nursery.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
They’re currently debating whether statement necklaces are back. I mean, were they ever really ‘in’? At least of the type they’re on about. Some nice lady has posted a picture of hers, and it looks like one of those pasta necklaces kids come home with from nursery.
They were only ever in if your name was Theresa May.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I've got a big blingy necklace with a dragon in Swarovski crystals and I love it although a) I am Chinese and often bring out the necklace for New Year, etc and b) my dress sense is very tacky and OTT. If I wanted a necklace like the one in that thread I would just hand my 3-year-old nephew some beads and a packet of penne and ask him to come up with something for me

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It also looks like all the different veges you'd get in one of those mediterranean vegetable tray bake things you get at the supermarket, hung on a string.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Saw a typical mumsnet thread. Poster was saving 1k a month, spent £500 for car insurance and other bits and bobs and had £300 spare and was " just interested in what other people had to spend as it doesn't seem like enough ". 🤪

Another thinking about leaving her 15 year old at home, instead of automatically thinking of fast tracking his passport which had less than 6 months.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.