Mumsnet #10 Freedom for DDog

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wear skinny jeans with long jumpers and boots and maxi dresses with trainers (not all at the same time) and I couldn’t give a duck what other people think of my sartorial choices.

Those culotte style trousers aren’t my cuppa tea but if you like them, wear them. Don’t be pushed into wearing stuff you don’t like because it’s boringly on trend.
I am a great believer in wearing what suits me.

Tbh, I never venture near Style & Beauty on MN. 😁 I remember one time way back, looking up a brand I saw mentioned - must have been in Chat or AIBU - I think it was Toast (not sure) and I thought it was so ugly!

I am not fashionable though 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I am a great believer in wearing what suits me.

Tbh, I never venture near Style & Beauty on MN. 😁 I remember one time way back, looking up a brand I saw mentioned - must have been in Chat or AIBU - I think it was Toast (not sure) and I thought it was so ugly!

I am not fashionable though 🤣
I am not fashionable either, I wear what I feel comfortable in and what makes me happy. I couldn't give a toss about what's considered stylish right now.

I also think a lot of the brands that Mumsnetters love (Toast, Hush, Seasalt, Boden etc etc etc) are very expensive and aimed at middle class, middle aged women who have no idea how to style themselves, and people run the risk of turning up at a posh drinks party wearing the same dress as several others :D:D:D

A grey sack with pockets and Birkenstocks probably. ;););)

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I don’t even care if something suits, as long as it’s comfortable.

i get the impression a lot of mn’ers think they should “dress their age”. So many threads on can I have long hair at 50, I’m 30, can I wear a mini skirt?

which is why they gravitate to Boden, toast etc. they find a brand aimed at their age demographic and change their style to fit. M&S is for old ladies, primark for those who can’t afford anything else, topshop and online for the youngsters…

I’ve never given a tit where clothes come from as long as they fit, are of good quality, and I like them.

I am going to drag out my 90’s combats soon and be down wiv da kids. I predict mn threads on “I’m 40, can I wear combats” in their mutton dressed as lamb angst.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm going to start a thread asking if I can wear cut off denim shorts, cowboy boot with a Union Jack bikini top and a pink glittery stetson when I go on my friend's hen do to Benidorm in the summer. The fashionistas would explode and the snobbish comments about Spanish holidays, hen parties and dressing like a teenager when you're not one, would be fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I want to give my MN Humour Hero award today to the Alan Partridge reference on the overnight oven post.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I don’t even care if something suits, as long as it’s comfortable.

i get the impression a lot of mn’ers think they should “dress their age”. So many threads on can I have long hair at 50, I’m 30, can I wear a mini skirt?

which is why they gravitate to Boden, toast etc. they find a brand aimed at their age demographic and change their style to fit. M&S is for old ladies, primark for those who can’t afford anything else, topshop and online for the youngsters…

I’ve never given a tit where clothes come from as long as they fit, are of good quality, and I like them.

I am going to drag out my 90’s combats soon and be down wiv da kids. I predict mn threads on “I’m 40, can I wear combats” in their mutton dressed as lamb angst.
Completely agree. I'm 43, but have great legs if I say so myself (actually lots of other people say it too 😂 ) so I wear short skirts because I know I can get away with it.
I'm sure in Mumsnet land I'd be referred to as "Mutton dressed as lamb".

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I'm going to start a thread asking if I can wear cut off denim shorts, cowboy boot with a Union Jack bikini top and a pink glittery stetson when I go on my friend's hen do to Benidorm in the summer. The fashionistas would explode and the snobbish comments about Spanish holidays, hen parties and dressing like a teenager when you're not one, would be fun.
Do it!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Today on S&B they're all piling into a 'do you dress for lifestyle?' thread to have a good brag about how avant-garde their wardrobe's are.
They don't want to talk about clothes or style, it's just another podium for them to live out their fantasy life goals and seek one-upmanship over the other posters.
One says she wears formal clothes at home when relaxing indoors. Another has a very important job (might be outing) where she meets fine artists and CEO's each day. Everyone mentions COS because this is the club favourite, but there's a couple boasting of living so very, very rural that they need very special clothes to nip to the bleeping co-op.
There's also one with a thousand bags getting patted on the back for her organisation skills.

One left a comment so long it resembles a novella. The OP was lighthearted and asked what people wore out of curiosity, but this pompous fart went into fantastical detail about why she was so special and prefered to dress just how she pleased (so... like anyone else really). She went on to defend her clothing choices as if she had been attacked (lol, there's always one) then condescendingly advises the OP to dress how she wants to - although the OP had already said she did. Asshat.

How lucky for the OP that this frustrated turnip saw fit to offer such sage advice, and on the internet, too, for free!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Today on S&B they're all piling into a 'do you dress for lifestyle?' thread to have a good brag about how avant-garde their wardrobe's are.
They don't want to talk about clothes or style, it's just another podium for them to live out their fantasy life goals and seek one-upmanship over the other posters.
One says she wears formal clothes at home when relaxing indoors. Another has a very important job (might be outing) where she meets fine artists and CEO's each day. Everyone mentions COS because this is the club favourite, but there's a couple boasting of living so very, very rural that they need very special clothes to nip to the bleeping co-op.
There's also one with a thousand bags getting patted on the back for her organisation skills.

One left a comment so long it resembles a novella. The OP was lighthearted and asked what people wore out of curiosity, but this pompous fart went into fantastical detail about why she was so special and prefered to dress just how she pleased (so... like anyone else really). She went on to defend her clothing choices as if she had been attacked (lol, there's always one) then condescendingly advises the OP to dress how she wants to - although the OP had already said she did. Asshat.

How lucky for the OP that this frustrated turnip saw fit to offer such sage advice, and on the internet, too, for free!
I need to find this thread. It sounds amazing!
Anyone who doesn’t get home and immediately put on pyjamas or similar is not to be trusted in my view. Only psychopaths relax in jeans. So the one relaxing in very very formal clothes needs sectioning.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Anyone who doesn’t get home and immediately put on pyjamas or similar is not to be trusted in my view. Only psychopaths relax in jeans. So the one relaxing in very very formal clothes needs sectioning.
Personally speaking, I am currently reclining on my sofa wearing a floor length sequinned ball gown, a dead fox stole round my shoulders, a tiara on my head and 6 inch stiletto heels. it's normal attire for Saturday night in front of the telly in my house. Anything less is common and vulgar and slovenly.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
The what are you doing today thread, they all have roaring fires and DC out at their piano lesson, ballet. Kept me entertained at work, I might show DP for some inspiration to keep me at home.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
There is a very patronising comment about how those of us who don’t relax in jeans must be wearing pairs far too small for us.

The thousand-bag lady has make up duplicates in every bag and bras in most of them too which I cannot fathom because why would I keep my sports bra in my gym bag and the rest is my gym clothes in the wardrobe? Where am I going to put the bra on? In the hallway before I leave? Where does she keep all these bags? Who needs to take snacks to the gym??? Regardless of these holes in practicality, she is being lauded as some sort of queen of organisation

• Haha
Reactions: 12
There is a very patronising comment about how those of us who don’t relax in jeans must be wearing pairs far too small for us.

The thousand-bag lady has make up duplicates in every bag and bras in most of them too which I cannot fathom because why would I keep my sports bra in my gym bag and the rest is my gym clothes in the wardrobe? Where am I going to put the bra on? In the hallway before I leave? Where does she keep all these bags? Who needs to take snacks to the gym??? Regardless of these holes in practicality, she is being lauded as some sort of queen of organisation
The bag for every event lady made me properly laugh. She must have an old fashioned hat stand in her hallway with a different bag on every hook. Why does she need a separate bag for swimming, gym and Pilates? One sports holdall would do. Why does she need so many individual make-up bags? Surely one will suffice, assuming she has hands and can transfer it from one bag to the other? She doesn't sound organised at all, she sounds bonkers. I bet she's the sort of woman who has a nervous breakdown when she's told her luggage allowance is 22kg when going on holiday.

I can't understand the bra thing either. She has a bra in her Pilates bag as well as her gym bag. My bras live in my underwear drawer and leave the house on my body, not in my bag.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I’m howling at this 😂😂😂
Something like that happened to me when I started the job I'm in now. One of the senior leaders (around my age) who I'd never spoken to or interacted with managed to tag her husband in my Facebook profile picture. It was deleted and never mentioned.

Still makes me laugh.

• Haha
Something like that happened to me when I started the job I'm in now. One of the senior leaders (around my age) who I'd never spoken to or interacted with managed to tag her husband in my Facebook profile picture. It was deleted and never mentioned.

Still makes me laugh.
It happened with my mum and my boyfriend too. She was stalking his Facebook and managed to tag herself in a picture of him that was about 6 years old and buried deep on his profile 😂 they’d never met, I’d just mentioned him briefly one evening. She didn’t even realise she’d done it until he asked me who it was 🫣

• Haha
The what are you doing today thread, they all have roaring fires and DC out at their piano lesson, ballet. Kept me entertained at work, I might show DP for some inspiration to keep me at home.
Likely bollox, or they've stuffed a wood burner into their new build and are choking the local residents. Like for sure everyone on MN lives in a rural idyll with windowseats, open fires and toasted bleeping marshmallows. I had organ lessons as a kid, I suppose we were too nouveaux. I think they envisage a tra-la-lee-la tory lifestyle and roll with it. Aspirational goo. But let's not forget, none of them would ever vote tory, especially considering the squeezed middle class are just about having to claim UC now :p

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.