Mumsnet #10 Freedom for DDog

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Like many here ( I think? ) I went through schooling in the sixties and seventies, we had a lovely ' helper ' who used to help us little ones with the loo, get dressed after p.e and gave lovely cuddles with never ending tissues and a plaster if you hurt yourself.
She died a few years ago and the turnout of old pupils at her funeral was amazing.
The teachers at the high school had assistants that came in the form of wooden yard long rulers, garden canes and wooden backed blackboard rubbers that came at your head like Exocet missiles.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I rarely recognise any news reports or threads re teachers. Or even what teachers say in real life. I'm not a teacher (hoping to train next year if logistics allow) but I'm a TA in a secondary and I do deliver some lessons and interventions and things. I've heard teachers tell the kids that they're at work until 5.30/6 and then they go home and work allllll night planning and that they're still marking at 11.30 and I think, well, I left at 4 today and the car park was empty, so you weren't all still at work! And yeah, you might stay up late sometimes but it isn't every night.

Then I heard one of them justify how TAs are paid because they don't do any work outside of school. Whilst some don't, of course, I also do planning and helping writing training packages and all sorts and I'm paid literally half what the teachers are. I just really can't see that teaching is that bad at all, certainly not at secondary level.
It’s the behaviour and lack of support from parents and SLT that’s an issue in many secondaries. I don’t plan much as I know my lessons inside out but I do not envy any ECTs entering the profession. If it was so easy there would not be such a massive recruitment and retention crisis.

Reactions: 6
I don’t have a single TA in any of my lessons

And I work in a 1000+ pupil secondary, budgets have been slashed to the bone and we can’t afford them. That’s another reason for striking though my union has voted not to.

So a lot of us do cope without them
It’s different in primary. They can’t cope without us. I’ve seen teachers shouting at office staff because their TA is off sick and they can’t find any cover.

• Wow
I don’t have a single TA in any of my lessons

And I work in a 1000+ pupil secondary, budgets have been slashed to the bone and we can’t afford them. That’s another reason for striking though my union has voted not to.

So a lot of us do cope without them
I've taught secondary (core subject) for 8 years and across two different schools and usually you'd only get a TA in a class where there is a child with additional needs, you don't get TAs as standard, and definitely not more than one per class. On average I'd say I'd have 2-3 lessons a week where I would have a TA with me.

In primary there is normally a TA per class because, understandably, the needs of the children are greater and they are less independent.

Most teachers I know with kids finish quite early (4ish) so they can pick up their kids and do dinner/bed. It does then mean we have to do an hour or so of work in the evening because that's just the nature of the job. I do agree that marking is often exaggerated BUT when you have to mark assessments or mocks it genuinely can take between 3 and 10 hours per class, which you have about 5, so anywhere between 15 and 50 hours of additional workload doing the marking over a week (only once a term though). On those days you do work till 10-11pm every night.

Reactions: 2
I do think the baggier, wider jeans look worse, much worse than slim styles on most of them tbh, especially if the belly and waist fill out after meno. Some of the new wide legs are enormously flappy and shapeless - not that shapeless is a negative, just a data point from me!! And unless you wear a tighter, shorter top then the body can look like a giant rectangle.

What amazes me on MN is how so many women are ditching slimmer jeans whilst crying about still loving them! They're easily led if they'll chuck away decent clothes that suit them whilst simultaneously raging on about mass production and landfill. So, far from being style mavens one ought to look up to, I'd say most of them are severely sartorially lost and have no idea how to dress themselves outside of gawping at teenage girls. Anything they say is 'dated' is usually quite the opposite.

On a skinny jeans thread last week, one of them associated wearing skinnies with being poor. I doubt she gets out much, considering the monied set in my neck of the woods are still wearing the damn things tucked into their country boots or worn casually with oversized jumpers and converse. I certainly haven't seen any middle class, middle aged women flapping through the local park wearing sawn off baggy barrel legs. This ought to concern them, since they're so desperate to be perceived as MC.
They still think Parisian women are strolling about wearing trench coats and ballet flats, too. And don't forget the NAICE scarf and Babyliss Big Hair......and the good cut and colour!

And if all of that fails, get a personal stylist at John Lewis, a bra intervention and your colour's done. It's like the Blue Badge of MN fashion.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Talking of MC obsession, there was a name thread and someone wanted to know if caleb was in the camp of jayden/cayden/okayden

Firstly everyone jumped on her because she was being judgey and what is she trying to insinuate with that?

And thennn a mum who had a cayden came
On the thread and was insisting that she was NOT a council estate scum and and she was VERY happy with the name she had for her son but was VERY defensive

It was all very amusing, everyone knows the jayden camp is unfortunately chavvy now but the way they were hounding the poor OP for being so rude

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I do think the baggier, wider jeans look worse, much worse than slim styles on most of them tbh, especially if the belly and waist fill out after meno. Some of the new wide legs are enormously flappy and shapeless - not that shapeless is a negative, just a data point from me!! And unless you wear a tighter, shorter top then the body can look like a giant rectangle.

What amazes me on MN is how so many women are ditching slimmer jeans whilst crying about still loving them! They're easily led if they'll chuck away decent clothes that suit them whilst simultaneously raging on about mass production and landfill. So, far from being style mavens one ought to look up to, I'd say most of them are severely sartorially lost and have no idea how to dress themselves outside of gawping at teenage girls. Anything they say is 'dated' is usually quite the opposite.

On a skinny jeans thread last week, one of them associated wearing skinnies with being poor. I doubt she gets out much, considering the monied set in my neck of the woods are still wearing the damn things tucked into their country boots or worn casually with oversized jumpers and converse. I certainly haven't seen any middle class, middle aged women flapping through the local park wearing sawn off baggy barrel legs. This ought to concern them, since they're so desperate to be perceived as MC.
They still think Parisian women are strolling about wearing trench coats and ballet flats, too. And don't forget the NAICE scarf and Babyliss Big Hair......and the good cut and colour!

And if all of that fails, get a personal stylist at John Lewis, a bra intervention and your colour's done. It's like the Blue Badge of MN fashion.
Skimny Jean's just don't suit me so I dont wear them. I suit a flare or boot cut best to balance me out.

To me fashion is wearing what suits you, not whats in fashion if that makes sense?!

If skinny Jean's suit then why not keep wearing them?! Its like those on there that hate boot cuts and think they are unfashionable, yet, as you said, they all recommend a crisp white shirt and a trench and a blazer for looking stylish

Reactions: 9
Skinny jeans suit me, I won’t be ditching them anytime soon. I tried bootcut again but felt like I was 15 again 😂

Reactions: 7
Skimny Jean's just don't suit me so I dont wear them. I suit a flare or boot cut best to balance me out.

To me fashion is wearing what suits you, not whats in fashion if that makes sense?!

If skinny Jean's suit then why not keep wearing them?! Its like those on there that hate boot cuts and think they are unfashionable, yet, as you said, they all recommend a crisp white shirt and a trench and a blazer for looking stylish
True, which is why the S&B board is so ridiculous, they are desperate to know what's trending so that they can excuse another wardrobe purge, feel sanctimonious about sending it all off to charity then buying even more crap in the guise of caring for the environment. There also seems to be an obsession about footwear, the tyranny of the mum boot and how all the 'current' London ladies wouldn't be seen dead in heels, unlike those horrible Northeners.
As a Northener I can't recall the last time I even saw a woman in heels - perhaps the south has caught up with us :p

(This is a dig at MNers, not Southeners!)

The things you miss about the 90’s thread is full of people saying they miss being skinny or slim. That’s one of the things I don’t miss about that era! The constant feeling that I was fat when I was only a size 10/12.

Reactions: 13
The things you miss about the 90’s thread is full of people saying they miss being skinny or slim. That’s one of the things I don’t miss about that era! The constant feeling that I was fat when I was only a size 10/12.
Yeh, that was weird.
It does at least go to show that most MNer's are not skinny, even though they love a good poke at larger people. Perhaps they loathe themselves?

Reactions: 4
I was clubbing far too much and far too skinny… I’m happier & healthier & happy to say that the 90’s was 5 years ago (surely!) x

Reactions: 7
9CE30EBD-0440-44E6-91D4-D780EADE230A.jpeg
This poster is like a chronic headache. She makes zero f*cking sense. If I knew her in real life I’d avoid her like the plague for my mental health. Every time she clarifies something the details get murkier. She’s like trying to wash your windscreen with wet clay and a potato.

• Haha
True, which is why the S&B board is so ridiculous, they are desperate to know what's trending so that they can excuse another wardrobe purge, feel sanctimonious about sending it all off to charity then buying even more crap in the guise of caring for the environment. There also seems to be an obsession about footwear, the tyranny of the mum boot and how all the 'current' London ladies wouldn't be seen dead in heels, unlike those horrible Northeners.
As a Northener I can't recall the last time I even saw a woman in heels - perhaps the south has caught up with us :p

(This is a dig at MNers, not Southeners!)
And there's me, strutting around in my platform shoes and flares like I'm still in the 70s 😂😂😂😂

I love a platform. I have to work in trainers or slippers so always make up for it when I can.

Love my wedges too and frequently wear maxi dresses as well, apparently you can spot a brit abroad a mile off because that's what they wear 😂😂

Funny how they all pounce on those who eat anything that's bad for them and insist they only massive salads and chickens last them a week, yet they miss being thin?!

They've all got a skewered approach to food as well as major issues in every other part of their life

Does anyone remember Jilly Cooper's Class?

The MNers often make me think of her lower middle class Jen Teale.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I wear skinny jeans with long jumpers and boots and maxi dresses with trainers (not all at the same time) and I couldn’t give a duck what other people think of my sartorial choices.

Those culotte style trousers aren’t my cuppa tea but if you like them, wear them. Don’t be pushed into wearing stuff you don’t like because it’s boringly on trend.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.