Mrs Hinch #573 Moving house, but what's the hurry? Time to stop for a secret McFlurry.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow when she’s letting them out of the coop they are going to get out of that enclosure and/or foxes or badgers in. They do attack in the daytime too! A fox will literally jump that or knock it over!
the dust bath looks to be just Diatomaceous earth. It should be a mixture including soil, wood ash and sand. I’m pretty sure not just DE. This can cause chickens breathing issues. I don’t personally think a little tray is big enough! All the wood chip will have to be changed regularly as when it’s damp it will produce spores. Again potentially causing breathing issues. Too many treats. Chickens should have their pellets and a treat given to them maybe at the end of the day. They need to eat their pellets.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
I’m not a hen person - is all that stuff necessary?
No. Pecking and the treat pot are pretty good for boredom but if they've got a sizeable area like that that they can access all day they shouldn't need it.

We give ours pecking blocks and toys etc during bird flu flockdowns to stop them being so noisy. All year round they have a hanging treat pot to peck at in case we can't let them out (they have free run of the garden for a few hours a day) for whatever reason.

I wonder if she's going to be locking them in the actual coop nightly and letting them out at the crack of dawn every day or if she's going to leave it open to access the smaller run as and when they want, but then let them into the larger area when she drags herself down there.

Reactions: 13
That’s way too much corn for rescue hens, especially in this heat. You shouldn’t be giving them any but the rats will probably have got it all before tomorrow anyway!
19E86282-E676-4065-8794-4CDBCEA50673.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 22
All thst different food for the hens equals an All you can eat buffet for rats 🐀 good luck Hinch🤭🤭🤭🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 34
That’s way too much corn for rescue hens, especially in this heat. You shouldn’t be giving them any but the rats will probably have got it all before tomorrow anyway!
View attachment 1495275
Eh. Corn in a hanging pecker like that is okay for entertainment. I wouldn't give them that much to eat in one go but my hens get though something a similar size over about 5 days. It's not bad as long as they've got access to proper pellets and grit.

Reactions: 14
Nusty hens, I'm at Wembley waiting to see Coldplay and I've already got 13 pages to catch up on 🤣 I'll probably have to skip to the end tomorrow, please let me know if Hinch has done anything of interest (doubtful) see you tomorrow 👏 I'M SO EXCITED 😀😀😀
Hope you had a great time!!! I bloomin loveeee Coldplay! ♥ “Fix You” and “Yellow“ are two of my favourite songs to sing 🎵

To keep on topic I think Weepy Al would love 🎵Every Teardrop is a Waterfall 🧔🏻💦 Bless’is’arrrt.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Eh. Corn in a hanging pecker like that is okay for entertainment. I wouldn't give them that much to eat in one go but my hens get though something a similar size over about 5 days. It's not bad as long as they've got access to proper pellets and grit.
Fair enough! Mine would eat all of that straight away! We don’t give them corn in this heat as it just heats them up even more.

Been out to stock up on crunky snacks and Mr wanted to go to the big Tesco for a change 😡 Saw the Mini Hinch clothing range, just as drab and poor quality as it looks in the photos. But it wasn’t in the children’s section, it was at the back of the store with the multi buy mega packets of toilet rolls and cornflakes 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Never mind the parrot toys.
Should they not have more sun shade than that, and also more protection from harsh weather?

Reactions: 15
Fair enough! Mine would eat all of that straight away! We don’t give them corn in this heat as it just heats them up even more.
Hens are like people - different tastes and habits! Mine only peck at it first thing and a bit in the afternoon. Maybe my corn isn't as tasty 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Wonder what Onslow thinks of all the animals? As someone else said we never see him with the woolly wankers,although I can guess he probably does more work with them behind the scenes than Soph does. Put your foot down Onslow, it's your home as much as it is hers, think of the kids, they could have had a wonderful garden to grow up in

Reactions: 16
I’m in a village but it’s not exactly rural (it really should be classed as a small town with the amount of bloody houses being built now), I’m a stone’s throw from a motorway and it’s not really quiet here and I’ve had to stop feeding the birds as we’ve had rats in the garden. Pretty sure the fuckers are actually nesting under my shed.

They will stop at nothing to get food and what was just one occasional 🐀 quickly became two and then babies… so my lovely wild birds are missing out.

Good luck Soph…

Reactions: 20
Never mind the parrot toys.
Should they not have more sun shade than that, and also more protection from harsh weather?
If I’m honest wifff yooouuu I doubt they’ll be there long enough to experience an Essex winter.

My bingo is gone by Christmas

Right Soph love, you say fox proofed 2x over. Here are your problem areas:

IMG_20220813_141745.jpg
IMG_20220813_141725.jpg

Foxes will dig under the fence and hedge through these two gaps.

IMG_20220813_141756.jpg

IMG_20220813_141838.jpg

It is very clear you haven't installed this fencing properly. It's bucked and bent already. A fox will have no issue identifying a weak point and squeezing under. It also doesn't look like you've dug it down or laid any brick/concrete to deter digging under.

IMG_20220813_141851.jpg

A fox will have no problem scaling this ~4ft hedge and post rail fence.

I'm not pointing this out as a troll, just as someone who doesn't want the carnage that comes with a fox in a hen enclosure.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Been out to stock up on crunky snacks and Mr wanted to go to the big Tesco for a change 😡 Saw the Mini Hinch clothing range, just as drab and poor quality as it looks in the photos. But it wasn’t in the children’s section, it was at the back of the store with the multi buy mega packets of toilet rolls and cornflakes 😂
And that's what Tesco think about Hinch🤭🤭🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 15
All thst different food for the hens equals an All you can eat buffet for rats 🐀 good luck Hinch🤭🤭🤭🤭
We clear up all the food every evening and put it in a lidded container.
Soph has put the food out the day before they alledgedly arrive 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.