Mother Pukka - Anna Whitehouse

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just remember it as a word that Jamie Oliver used 20 years ago to say something is excellent, great, fantastic etc.
I thought it was a play on words to sound like mutha fucka- but you’re right the pukka means excellent etc.

Reactions: 5
bleeping right she must have been a high functioning depressive. I had PND and it poisoned my thinking to the point I could barely function. I just did the basics - cared for the baby and that’s it. Some days I couldn’t even face unloading the dishwasher.

Let me get this straight also (because I haven’t read her statement myself), she said she had puerperal psychosis but was diagnosed retrospectively? Three years later?
I work in the mental health field and this really confused me. Have never heard of puerperal psychosis being diagnosed retrospectively. PP is treated as a medical emergency as it can be life threatening.

Reactions: 18
I thought it was a play on words to sound like mutha fucka- but you’re right the pukka means excellent etc.
You could also be right. Who knows with those two? It’s still a stupid name to call yourself. Did they do the going to festivals thing in krazy lurex outfits?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I work in the mental health field and this really confused me. Have never heard of puerperal psychosis being diagnosed retrospectively. PP is treated as a medical emergency as it can be life threatening.
Exactly! Exactly... it’s an acute psychiatric emergency, right? Women suffering from PP are at extremely high risk of harming themselves, and possibly their babies. There’s no way you be diagnosed with it after the event, because you simply can’t function normally with PP and if it wasn’t diagnosed at the time, you didn’t bloody have it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
she said she had early psychosis. also thought very strange considering a family member went through this and was hospitalised. the cynic in me thought it was handy as sounds more serious than pnd and therefore more sympathy. obviously am very sorry for her with whatever mental health issues she has and she's clearly exhausted. but something seems weird with that diagnosis

Reactions: 6
I think she is saying she had “early PP” which I assume means early signs of. PP is a medical emergency and usually requires hospitalisation. Happy to be corrected but I don’t think you can be highly functioning whilst psychotic. I wonder if she is saying she had early signs and it was caught just in time. I note on the BBC interview when asked a question about “treatment” she didn’t really answer the question.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I also thought this, I’m an ex midwife and although I only ever saw one case of PPP (as it is SO rare) and she was hospitalised until judged safe to be home / looking after her baby as she was homicidal and completely believed all her delusions, it was not anything like depression and she couldn’t have been left for several years? I can’t see how you can say you were psychotic years ago?

Or even pre psychotic? Or maybe she was treated at the time? But it seems like she has only recently received help / care for the depression and therefore I can’t see what prevented ‘full’ psychosis?

• Heart
As I said before I definitely saw a bit of “mania” in her actions - not psychosis. I think I only saw the mania as that’s what I had.....I was very I’ve got this, this is all fine, look at me and how well I’m coping whilst secretly wanting to send my baby to boarding school and go and live in a cupboard and sleep. Her videos she used to do of trying on clothes etc sounded very manic and all over the place. There was never a day she was just sitting in her house? But I think to jump on a psychosis bandwagon is a bit far fetched. A friend of a friend of mine, a lovely girl, actually got hospitalised for 3 months, I don’t think it’s really something you get pre psychosis? A bit like oh looking back in had pre cancer but I just drank some green juice and I was fine, lucky we caught it eh! No you have it or you don’t, not sure that’s how it works that you kind of had it? You just had very bad PND which you did well to cope with surely?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Louis Theroux made an interesting programme about women in mother and baby units, suffering from depression, anxiety and psychosis. It’s called Mothers on the Edge - available on iPlayer for another two months.

Reactions: 10
I also thought this, I’m an ex midwife and although I only ever saw one case of PPP (as it is SO rare) and she was hospitalised until judged safe to be home / looking after her baby as she was homicidal and completely believed all her delusions, it was not anything like depression and she couldn’t have been left for several years? I can’t see how you can say you were psychotic years ago?

Or even pre psychotic? Or maybe she was treated at the time? But it seems like she has only recently received help / care for the depression and therefore I can’t see what prevented ‘full’ psychosis?
Wow this is interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. It does make this announcement even more dubious.

I was doubtful just because of the timing. For me I felt that BLM has kinda fckd all “woke” instagrammers flow. I mean when is the right time to start selling ADs/Books after what and still is happening in the world? It’s not like international women/dog/gin day where you can post your “I’m behind this ✊🏻“ bs and then move on to the next AD or kid photo/house tour. That only happened for the tone deaf already ostracised grammers, like Hinch et al. However if you’re a hard core virtue signaller a la Anna, the only way to turn the dialogue back to yourself, for your own advantage, is pity harvesting. You become a victim, the BLM is neatly boxed away, until next time you need it, and voila, we are back on course, back in business. Nobody is going to challenge her about what she has done for the BLM movement when her first post is about time with her daughter and then her PND. She could say now that she has taken time to reflect and educate herself, as they all promised, and that will be enough. Maybe we should add that to the list of things she achieved with PND and PP too 🙄

Louis Theroux made an interesting programme about women in mother and baby units, suffering from depression, anxiety and psychosis. It’s called Mothers on the Edge - available on iPlayer for another two months.
Oooh he’s become my new go to person for short hits, I’ll be interested to see that

@Dogmuck there are currently a lot of LT programmes on iPlayer. He also has a series of podcasts recorded during lockdown on the BBC Sounds App.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m not denying that she suffered badly with her mental health and hid it well. But I do think it’s VERY irresponsible to spout bollocks about having “early” or “mild” psychosis, simply because you were in a bad way and, looking back, you think it was worse than bog standard PND.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I remember when I was doing my nurse training in the 80's and on my psychiatry placement, we had a woman on unit with PPP....her baby was maybe about 6 weeks old when she was admitted and unfortunately, she wasn't able to stay with the mum as mum was so unwell and hallucinating and had quite frightening thoughts - she was definitely a risk to herself and her daughter ......the mother required many weeks of in patent care as well as ECT ( I realise times/ treatments have changed considerably but there no way you can carry on with normal life if you have PPP, it is very distressing and disabling to patient and their family)

• Sad
Exactly! Exactly... it’s an acute psychiatric emergency, right? Women suffering from PP are at extremely high risk of harming themselves, and possibly their babies. There’s no way you be diagnosed with it after the event, because you simply can’t function normally with PP and if it wasn’t diagnosed at the time, you didn’t bloody have it.
Just backing up what everyone else has said.. I questioned this on her post but got quickly shot down. Postpartum psychosis is absolutely a medical emergency that requires intensive treatment, usually as an inpatient. Most women recover from it after about 12 weeks, although it is possible for it to last longer and for subsequent psychotic episodes (but this is more likely the case if the woman has underlying mental health issues). I just can't believe there is any way she had pp psychosis without having significant mental health professional input early on in baby's life. Now maybe she did, and has chosen to hide all that, in which case, she is again being a little disingenuous. And if it wasn't picked up at the time then this makes me really question her family, friends and support network who failed to act on her strange behaviours and get her the help she obviously needed. But I agree in that it makes no sense to diagnose ppp after the event. Its a shame she hasn't talked more about this side of things.

My lovely friend had ppp and was hospitalised in a special unit until she was stable enough to be supported in the community. It was terrifying. She had no grip on reality at all. But she was so convincing in her stories to me it was only when I tried to match her story up to her husbands did I realise something was terribly wrong.

• Sad
My lovely friend had ppp and was hospitalised in a special unit until she was stable enough to be supported in the community. It was terrifying. She had no grip on reality at all. But she was so convincing in her stories to me it was only when I tried to match her story up to her husbands did I realise something was terribly wrong.
That's very interesting. It is an absolutely terrifying thing for friends and family members to see their loved one go through.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
The Louis Theroux documentary is really eye opening (in a sad but awareness raising way) and he speaks to different women - while they had differing severities of PPP from what I remember they all had to have a level of inpatient care. There wasn’t any mention of it being ‘mild’ but more as others have said that it is considered an emergency. I haven’t read her book about it, but Laura Lee Dockrill has spoken about her experience of PPP on a few podcasts and is incredibly frank about it and the symptoms she had as well as her subsequent hospital stay - her husband was told to immediately take her to A&E, there was no delay/hanging about.

If MP had PPP as she states and needed inpatient care as a result why not share that as part of the raising awareness? Surely her whole thing about stating she had PND and ‘early PPP’ was to raise awareness/destigmatise it for others so why not do just that? I completely get for some women it takes them a long time to reconcile with their experiences so wouldn’t necessarily be open about them to everyone but MP has chosen to publish her story so to speak - hope that makes sense.

• Heart
On this now!!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.