Mother Pukka - Anna Whitehouse

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My lovely friend had ppp and was hospitalised in a special unit until she was stable enough to be supported in the community. It was terrifying. She had no grip on reality at all. But she was so convincing in her stories to me it was only when I tried to match her story up to her husbands did I realise something was terribly wrong.
This reminds me of the Louis Theroux film I mentioned above. Is your friend OK now? One of the women in the film mentioned Instagram as affe
On this now!!
Note the mention of Instagram by one woman.😬

• Heart
Reactions: 5
This reminds me of the Louis Theroux film I mentioned above. Is your friend OK now? One of the women in the film mentioned Instagram as affe

Note the mention of Instagram by one woman.😬
Yep, it’s shocking all the tit she put on line to “make it seem real” so sad 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 4
As I said before I definitely saw a bit of “mania” in her actions - not psychosis. I think I only saw the mania as that’s what I had.....I was very I’ve got this, this is all fine, look at me and how well I’m coping whilst secretly wanting to send my baby to boarding school and go and live in a cupboard and sleep. Her videos she used to do of trying on clothes etc sounded very manic and all over the place. There was never a day she was just sitting in her house? But I think to jump on a psychosis bandwagon is a bit far fetched. A friend of a friend of mine, a lovely girl, actually got hospitalised for 3 months, I don’t think it’s really something you get pre psychosis? A bit like oh looking back in had pre cancer but I just drank some green juice and I was fine, lucky we caught it eh! No you have it or you don’t, not sure that’s how it works that you kind of had it? You just had very bad PND which you did well to cope with surely?

Exactly. One of my best friends had psychosis and they had to remove knives from the house and she was hospitalised for weeks and put on heavy medication. And it came on very suddenly. One day she was just really tired (and stressed) the next she could barely move/ talk. The problem with MP is that it is bad education for people who don't know what it is. Yes you can function while depressed. You can't if you're going through psychosis. And you certainly wouldn't come back to social media so soon even to sell a book, no expert would recommend that.
Also - v weird that she said the account that helped her was that one full of cartoons. Felt a bit "ok which is an account I can point people
towards for this - the psychology mum
will do". I had a look at the account and I can't understand how cartoons of brains would offer you that much support during a very serious illness. There are loads of better accounts for mental health help

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I had huge problems with louis' documentary, mainly around the issue of consent. I'm sure they must have got consent post production from the mothers once they were better and no longer being treated in a mother and baby unit, but it all felt very iffy at the time. These poor women were in the throes of an absolute crisis and shouldn't have been put in that position. I usually love Louis and his method of interviewing but just felt his personality and way of doing things just didn't fit right with this subject matter. Made me very uncomfortable. Will be interested to see what you make of it @Dogmuck?

Reactions: 7
Also - v weird that she said the account that helped her was that one full of cartoons. Felt a bit "ok which is an account I can point people
towards for this - the psychology mum
will do". I had a look at the account and I can't understand how cartoons of brains would offer you that much support during a very serious illness. There are loads of better accounts for mental health help
Yes! I’m so glad you mentioned this. I found it very strange too. I wonder if they’re with the same publisher and we should expect a Psychology Mum ‘choose your own adventure’ comic book just in time for Christmas?

Reactions: 5
The psychology mum stuff is helpful in a ‘oh maybe I’m a bit sad’ way, but it’s way too surface level for me as someone with PND, personally.

The psychology mum stuff is helpful in a ‘oh maybe I’m a bit sad’ way, but it’s way too surface level for me as someone with PND, personally.
Same, I had hardcore PND and the difference between a couple of days of “baby blues” and a full blown mental illness was shocking

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I had huge problems with louis' documentary, mainly around the issue of consent. I'm sure they must have got consent post production from the mothers once they were better and no longer being treated in a mother and baby unit, but it all felt very iffy at the time. These poor women were in the throes of an absolute crisis and shouldn't have been put in that position. I usually love Louis and his method of interviewing but just felt his personality and way of doing things just didn't fit right with this subject matter. Made me very uncomfortable. Will be interested to see what you make of it @Dogmuck?
I agree with you, it felt really uncomfortable to watch because the women seemed so heavily medicated and were clearly not “in the moment”, which does beg the question about consent. It felt a lot like the women didn’t really want to talk on camera about their issues but were so vulnerable they were almost doing it like it was part of their therapy, like that was normal or they had to. It was really very very sad, in a way it seemed far too personal to be watching I felt like I was eavesdropping like I should look away and not be rubber necking at a car crash. I must admit I loved how good Louis was with the babies, changing nappies and holding them and keeping them entertained. He’s clearly a very capable dad.

Also I’ve been watching lots of his other stuff recently on Netflix I didn’t realise it was all on iplayer and more. So there’s one (actually 3) about the most hated family in America some insane vile cult family - to go from watching that to watching the PP one took a massive gear change in my head.

I knew nothing about PP until a week ago I don’t know anyone who suffered from it, so thank you all for all your information, it truly is a horrific debilitating illness for any mum to be in and for me further signals that Anna is talking nonsense!

I feel really angry about these instagrammers manipulating their audience to make a buck. It's almost always women flogging to other women too. If you raise any points to that end then you just get #bekind or #womensupportingwomen in response - which is bollocks of course. In reality, these women develop a parchment-thin skin and carry on flogging to (often vulnerable) women.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Yes! I’m so glad you mentioned this. I found it very strange too. I wonder if they’re with the same publisher and we should expect a Psychology Mum ‘choose your own adventure’ comic book just in time for Christmas?
I was right!
Just did a bit of deep research. Psychology Mum’s book is published by Quercus, which is owned by Hodder & Stoughton, who published the Pukkas’ ‘Parenting The tit Out Of Life’.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I was right!
Just did a bit of deep research. Psychology Mum’s book is published by Quercus, which is owned by Hodder & Stoughton, who published the Pukkas’ ‘Parenting The tit Out Of Life’.
Well there’s a surprise 🤔😏

I did check when Anna mentioned her and guess what? Anna doesn’t follow her on Instagram...I know that doesn’t mean tit really but you’d think she’d at least give her a follow to back up her respect for her, you know, in a “women supporting women” kinda way! 🙄

The fact that PND is even thought of
I was right!
ffs. it's pretty dark stuff when you get delving

The fact that PND is even thought of

ffs. it's pretty dark stuff when you get delving
My abandoned comment at the top was going to say 'the fact that pnd is even thought of as so boring and 'nothing-serious' sounding that you have to beef it up with eg. psychosis is v worrying'

I don’t know why some women feel the need to play Top Trumps, be it pregnancy, labour, pnd etc. I had PND, it was crippling, I couldn’t sleep because I was convinced my baby was going to die in the night, my mother had to come and look after my children during the day because I was exhausted and I was also convinced that I was going to die, leave two small children with a husband who wouldn’t be able to care for them as well as I could. It’s not a one size fits all, other mothers have very different experiences but I’d never feel the need to exaggerate it.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I was right!
So basically, every “shout out” and “reco” is just a big bag a lies.

So basically, every “shout out” and “reco” is just a big bag a lies.
Yes. I mean, I guess we’d already cottoned on that that was the case when it came to crappy mummy merch.
But using post-partum mental health issues as a foil to push yours and your publishing stablemate’s books onto vulnerable women is a new barrel-scraping low.
It’s such an own goal and so antithetic to the slick Pukka brand personality, you could almost believe that poor mental health informed such a staggeringly obvious and tone-deaf move. Almost.

Reactions: 11
True I’m acting like I’m surprised that this is all marketing lol. Just surprised from her that’s all.

She is clever because she got so many thinking she was one of the good ones. But no. Just as much if not more BS.

Reactions: 10
bleeping right she must have been a high functioning depressive. I had PND and it poisoned my thinking to the point I could barely function. I just did the basics - cared for the baby and that’s it. Some days I couldn’t even face unloading the dishwasher.

Let me get this straight also (because I haven’t read her statement myself), she said she had puerperal psychosis but was diagnosed retrospectively? Three years later?
In terms of WHO definitions, there’s no time limit on post partum depression/psychosis.

Reactions: 3
I’m surprised MP hasn’t jumped onto this thread yet. She was very quick off the mark with the Mumsnet threads, which were usually about the ODs or Instamums in general. She was always applauded for joining the debate so I won’t be surprised if she joins us here.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.